My Story - Cerebellum Stroke

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I wanted to post my story with the intention of providing emotional support to people who may be in a similar position. 

In October 2017, aged 30, I had a minor stroke in the Cerebellum. I was rushed to hospital but due to my symptons (dizziness and vomiting) and age I was misdiagnosed as suffering from vertigo. I was discharged 24hours later still feeling very unwell.

Fortunately I was not left with any lasting physical damage and was able to return to a normal life fairly quickly.

Over the following months I had many further tests, including an MRI, which diagnosed the event as a stroke, as well as highlighting smaller, older infarctions - which may have been a year or so ago when I lost feeling in my left arm for a week, which at the time I assumed was a trapped nerve.

Once I was diagnosed as suffering a stroke many more tests were conducted to try and ascertain the cause/reason. Not being a typical stroke patient (age, non smoker etc) and no abnormal test results (blood pressure, MRA, heart rhythm, injury etc) left the doctors unsure but they then proceeded with the more detailed or unusual tests. These further tests highlighted that I had a PFO (hole between the upper chambers of the heart) which can allow small blood clots to move across and up into the brain. 

Following this discovery, in April 2018, I was advised to have the PFO closed. I have now had the PFO closure (June 2018) and am feeling more confident in my body every day.

Following the stroke, I did suffer severe dizziness for many months and still get occasional spells but have found the emotional recovery very challenging. At the time I know it would have helped me tremendously to speak to someone in a similar situation, having suffered a similar stroke but I could not find anyone. For this reason I have decided to post and would be more than happy to speak on an individual level with anyone should they want some more information about my experience. I am happy to go into any aspect of the event or recovery or operations etc.

John

Hi john, like yourself I am a young survivor, I was 29 when I had my stroke. Emotional lability has always been an issue for me, but particularly this weekend. I feel very miss understood and it’s hard to get across a feeling of loneliness. Support is available as I’ve flund and I feel better talking to like minded people.

Hi John, I’m currently on a waiting list for PFO closure. I was 34 when I had my stroke and have been told I have had other silent strokes. To make matters worse I have a blood clotting disorder but this still doesn’t make me qualify any sooner. The stroke was Dec 2016 the PFO wasn’t diagnosed until last summer but starting to feel frustrated. Did you self fund? 

Did you experience symptoms before your closure? Palpitations, breathlessness?

I am the same, had a stroke in October 2017 which was diagnosed initially as stress, then vertigo / ear infection. After MR I found it was in fact a stroke. Many tests and months later confirmed PFO. Couldn't cope with knowing NHS recommend closure in my case but no funding so was put on a list with no idea on timescale. It was a very tough decision for me to make and took me about 6 months weighing up pros and cons but did self fund in the end. Mentally easier to cope now but financially harder. Will be good to get off my anticoagulant in next couple of months and know I have reduced the chance of further strokes.

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply..

Mine was done on the NHS. I didnt have any other symptons. After the operation I have experienced a few 'ectopic' beats every now and then which I am told is the device irritating the heart wall.

I hope you do qualify and get the operation. Good luck

Hi Debbie, just wondering how much it was to self fund please? I'm 41 with 2 little girls and had a stroke in September 2018, have a PFO but they are not interested in closing but it would give me  massive peace of mind. I won't be offended if you'd rather not say x

Hi john

I had a stroke 16 weeks ago at 37. Although I'm told my recovery is going well I too am struggling with the emotional fall out of it.

This is my first effort in trying to find someone of a similar age who has been through the same thing.

Victoria

Hi john

I had a stroke 16 weeks ago at 37. Although I'm told my recovery is going well I too am struggling with the emotional fall out of it.

This is my first effort in trying to find someone of a similar age who has been through the same thing.

Victoria

Hi john

Victoria