Meet Ollie the Orthotic

Thanks @Rups i’ll keep on trying. Not too good at giving up :grin::grin:
My week is going ok once I manage to get out of bed in a morning (that’s been a struggle this week). Hope your week is going well too.

2 Likes

I had my appointment on Friday which went pretty much as expected.

Ollie does help lift my toes which reduces my chances of tripping over but he doesn’t help any with the foot dragging / my walking.

They have no other orthotic options that I can try (I think i tried them all over my previous appointments :grin:) so they are discharging me back to the stroke consultant / physio.

I am expecting the physio to discharge me at the next appointment too as she told me last time that if this didn’t work there wasn’t anything else they could do. I am ok with this as there’s no point going back & forth to have the same conversation each time. I may look at private physio as finances allow.

I am, I think, on a waiting list to see a neuropsychologist. The only thing that hasn’t been tried yet. The orthotist I saw said he was going to ask my physio / GP to chase this up as i’ve been waiting over a year & heard nothing.

For now I am going to have to make do with my poor walking style & hope with more and more rehab practice that it changes for the better.

Frustrating yes but it could be worse.

2 Likes

@Loshy Hi Loraine, thank you for your support & kind words.

I will keep on trying as many different things as I can to get my walking back where it needs to be. It is such hard work walking anywhere which makes it very restricting. I’m more concerned that my poor walking is going to give me a vad hip, back & knee. I’ll just exercise them to minimise any impact.

Going back to work will still happen. Part of my adjustments will be no travelling for now so i will be office/home based for a while. We’ve removed the trip hazards from the office so I should be ok. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: just waiting for bits of kit & equipment to arrive so I can start back.

Thank you again for all your support. It means a lot.

Best wishes

Ann xxx

2 Likes

Hello Ann. I have been following your orthotic journey with much admiration. You have persevered with determination and an open mind from what I’ve read. It is very hard when there is an ongoing suggestion, often from multiple sources, that something can be done in one form or another. Hope can be a double edged sword. Never give up working around the problem yourself even if you can’t fix it how you want, but acceptance and finding ways of living the best version of what you’ve got and at the same time keeping an open view of help from external sources is difficult. I am due an opthalmology review in a couple of weeks and have had to keep going back for 3 monthly reviews which after 18 months have achieved and are achieving nothing does mess with my head. Surely they are going to discharge me soon, it is certainly something I need to discuss with them, only the appointment is not with the consultant, but the optometrist, who won’t be able to comment.
Keep on working on what you can achieve ( as I’m sure you do), and really all the best on your return to the workplace. All good wishes, Julia x

1 Like

@JuliaH awwww thank you so much. That has bought a tear to my eye. You are so right about acceptance and living with the best version of what you’ve got. I was only saying this to my hubby the other day. I’ll never give up trying but I have to live my life too and if that means dragging my foot and maybe even having a few falls from time to time then so be it. Once I get back to work rehab time is going to be much more limited anyway.

I’m sorry you’re opthalmology reviews aren’t bearing fruit either. It’s so frustrating going back and forth to be told the same thing again. I have an opthalmology appointment next week and not sure much has changed for me either. I hope you get something useful from your appointment this time. I suppose we shouldn’t complain about them wanting to see us really. Many people are waiting a very long time to get appointments. I always think though that if I am getting nowhere then there’s probably someone who needs the appointment more than me.

Thank you again for your support. It really does mean a lot.

Sending you my very best wishes.

Ann xxx

1 Like

Shwmae @Mrs5K, have you read this post on foot drop by Brain Rehab? It might give you some discussion points with the neuropsychologist.

@Rups thank you. I’ve just read the article you posted. Some of it I am already doing but it does give me some things to think about & try. The foot turning inward but is something I get especially when I try lifting my foot & also when sat reclining on the sofa.
Definitely some discussion points.

1 Like