Making my right hand stronger

Hi, My name is Allan i,m 69 years old & i had my Stroke last September  & trying to get back as much of my capabilites as i can. My right hand is very clumsy & i have a knack of falling over. All my life i have played Guitar but now i find it a struggle to get my wrist to do what I want it to. I practice every day & slowly getting better. This is my first visit to this site so if there is anyone who can give me advice on how to get my right hand stronger I would be grateful. Cheers Allan

Hi Allan

Welcome.  I sympathise, I think we are all different but what I did was work on the basis that our brains work very hard trying to rebuild the pathways we have lost so the more we try doing things the better it gets.  That is what I did and I found it improved more and more over time.  It is just over a year since I had mine and most things are back now but it was a long process.

Good luck with your journey

Joan

these might help

https://neurorehab.med.ubc.ca/grasp/grasp-manuals-and-resources/

Thanks for your replies, will let you know my progress. Allan

Hi,  My name’s Catriona.

i had a stroke about 3 years ago. I suddenly lost most of my vision, due to extreme double vision. I was shocked to be told I’d had a stroke. There appeared to be no other symptoms. I was sent home. Gradually much of my vision returned. However, gradually other symptoms became apparent. I was never referred to a stroke nurse or anyone to monitor me. The vision lost was so drastic it is only after it subsided (it’ll never be the same) I noticed other things. I get very tired indeed. ( I spoke with someone on tne advice line). Now I play ukelele. I find it hard, especially barring chords, as my hands get tired. I also find it very hard to remember chords for tunes. 

Any tips welcome. Thank you. 

Hi everyone. Prior to my stroke (May 2013) I was a professional drummer. One of my post stroke 'issues' was a lack of grip in my left hand. I used a stress ball, bought from Amazon, which helped me regain some (not all) strength. This took several years of daily use. It's not a quick fix! Perseverance is key. I can now play again but not to the same level as I used to. I can't control the fine motor movements necessary which is basically finger control on the drumstick. I would use the stress ball several times every day when watching TV, reading,  etc. I would rotate the ball with my right hand, watching the finger movements and then try to replicate them with my left. Same with squeezing and applying pressure. Just do everything you can, as often as you can. Remember how long it took you to learn the instrument in the first place! All the best, Andy

Having read these posts, you should read the Stroke Association's leaflet on Physiotherapy.  Call the Helpline and speak to your clinician.

A squeeze ball will help, but you are to focus and use this every day to improve your strength in your hands.  It is a good hobby to play a ukelele or guitar, or the drums.  You have to focus and exercise.

Mymain problem, after the stroke I had three years ago, was breaking glasses!  I am much better now (I hope I have not put the hex on that problem!?☺). I needed words and I did it by wordsearches and crosswords.  It gets better but there are times when I cannot find a word!  Be vigilant and workat it, whatever "it" is... Caroline Mayor

P.S.  I have asked my husband to speak to the musicians who send him CDs for the radio show he presents at Drystone Radio  on a Tuesday evening 10 to 11pm and if there is anything else I can say to help, I will be back in touch.

I completely lost the use of my left side 12 years ago.  It came back slowly.  One of the actions I took was to reason that if I could do things with my right side, I could train my brain to copy it on my left side... so the first thing I did was to teach my arm to rise. using both my right and left arms together  Then finger exercises and massaging my hand until my hand was able to respond.  Then I went to the gym and discovered if I went on the tread mill it encourage my left arm to work... it was all to do with motor coordination and my brain had to make new pathways.  It has never really gained complete restoration but I can use my left hand to open and close doors and pull up my pants and do up buttons etc.  Perhaps the most testing occasion was trying to swim in a swimming pool, only to discover my left side was like a lump of lead.. it had not been taught how to float!  However once it got the hang of floating, it was difficult to stand up !  

I completely lost the use of my left side 12 years ago.  It came back slowly.  One of the actions I took was to reason that if I could do things with my right side, I could train my brain to copy it on my left side... so the first thing I did was to teach my arm to rise. using both my right and left arms together  Then finger exercises and massaging my hand until my hand was able to respond.  Then I went to the gym and discovered if I went on the tread mill it encourage my left arm to work... it was all to do with motor coordination and my brain had to make new pathways.  It has never really gained complete restoration but I can use my left hand to open and close doors and pull up my pants and do up buttons etc.  Perhaps the most testing occasion was trying to swim in a swimming pool, only to discover my left side was like a lump of lead.. it had not been taught how to float!  However once it got the hang of floating, it was difficult to stand up !  

As far as guitar playing goes, a stroke left me without the use of my right hand. My decision was to resume making music as soon as I could. That meant developing a way to play with only my left hand. I recognize this may not suit everyone, it's just another option. This is a link to something I did a year ago. 

https://youtu.be/qh_RMXZPpBI

If this interests you and you would like to connect I would be happy to discuss the way I approach playing now and the lessons learned through trial and error.

Initially, my right arm was completely paralised but gradually with the help of physio, it came back albiet limited. I used to be an acompished guitarist but now have to face reality and accept the new me. I have adapted the way I play now and am content with that. So don't try to be the person you were but be happy with the person you are now. Keep practicing though and you will get better. Also I've invested in a smaller parlour guitar which is much more manageable and more fun to play. The most important thing is never give up.

Well said John. Your excellent attitude will help with your recovery.

Surprising how many SS are musicians. 

I wish it worked in reverse. I am no musician but wouldnt it be lovely if I found I now could read music and play. Well we can dream.

Colin

You mentioned adapting the way you play, can you describe those changes in more detail?

Interesting thread. I'm adding this idea in case it helps others.  

I'm not muscical, but to lots of needle crafts, and my OT suggested snything that used both hands us a good way to build up strength and dexterity. I got my partner to bring my cross stitch into hospital, and I propped it in the table and sewed using to hands, to work on my left hand - the OT was impressed! I'm also a lace maker, and that really does use both hands equally. I spend hours at my lace pillow doing physio! (Until my fatigue kicks in). Finding something you enjoy us key, I think.

Just watched your video, thanks for sharing! . Its very impressive, I'm continually humbled by people's approach to getting on with life following a stroke and not letting it get in the way? ???

Very inspirational and a great piece of music

Thanks for your advice, Allan