Little triumphs

A previous post by @Pds got me thinking about the things we do that are a big achievement for you big or small. What was it? did anyone praise you or not even notice?

I was chuffed to bits that I went round to the front of my house and brought mine and our neighbours bins in, I thought I’d at least get a thats great Mum but nope I got a grunt of just leave the bins. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Hi NapQueen. Not a cook apart from basic pasta dishes.Fantasric partner, she went out one afternoon so I decided to do dinner. Raid larder to do a vegetarian (I am partner isn’t) Bake, didn’t look appetising but it had to be nutritious? Got quaunties wrong and ended up with large basin full. So four nut/bean/ brick shaped bakes destined for deep freeze. Did vegetables, stewed apples put nutritious brick in oven but failed to notice oven door not closed :weary:. Frantic period clearing up mess. Just make it. Meal cooked by time wonder woman got back, the proof of a bake is in the eating :+1:t3::hugs:. Yes the old boy did well. Since being stroked can’t really explain it but realised I’ve become more understanding and forgiving and aware and beginning to realise love is the key to all things. Don’t and won’t belong to any religious organisation but in the words of the Jodi Mitchell hippy era song “I Feel I’m stardust and golden and I’ve got to get myself back to the garden where ever it is. Peace and Love to you all.

2 Likes

Wow that sounds a lot you certainly did well, I’m more a chuck in the microwave kinda girl but since the stroke I am watching what I eat especially salt content. And gosh I’m the opposite since it happened I’m not forgiving or understanding at all :flushed: I can be quite harsh, although in the past I was far too nice and just took all the :poop: family are struggling with the change :woman_shrugging:t2:
It’s so strange how it affects everyone differently I’d never have thought that.

1 Like

Nap queen. Well done. The first time I took the bin out was a real effort. I can do it reasonably well now. It helps that the bin rolls well. My partner has always shown me tough love, by expecting me to do what I can and not stopping me. However, I can’t lift things well and certainly couldn’t stand on a chair or a stool. I can manage to get a few things upstairs step by step and I can Hoover with a cordless vac.

Success in small things is a personal triumph, whatever others think.

2 Likes

My first achievement following my stroke was being able to squeeze the toothpaste out the tube using my affected hand. Small things hey :grin:
My next big achievement was getting both feet on the bottom stair at home. I was so thrilled with this I message loads of people. Only the next day I couldn’t do it again and was most upset…………I can now do a full flight of stairs. Next stop taking something up with me :grin:

4 Likes

Well done @Mrs5K stairs are tricky, the messaging friends made me laugh I too liked doing that …well still do but people are bored when I discovered I could scratch my back with my affected hand I was so excited :laughing: rushed in to the living room to tell my Sons and got a grunt.

Oh that must be so hard writing with an affected hand, like learning to write again, I’d have been raging if I didn’t get praise for that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ooh the thought of standing on a chair makes me queasy I did stand on the bottom step of the step ladders but haven’t plucked up the courage to do it again. I fancy one of those cordless hoovers, my hoover is making things harder than it needs to be!

@Sharon_B I was so thrilled about the stairs & noone was home I just had to tell people. I’ve not been so enthusiastic since in case my 1st attempt is a fluke :grin: I still bore everyone with my achievements though :rofl:
Being able to scratch your back with your affected hand is amazing…I get the grunts though as my hubby does that. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

@Mahoney glad I made you smile. I still feel chuffed about squeezing the toothpaste as it was my first real achievement. Then when I managed to get the toothpaste on the toohbrush too you can imagine the smile I had :grin:
The stairs are still a work in progress but I can get up and down them now putting both feet on each step. Next goal to get up and down with feet on alternate steps.
All those things we used to take for granted hey.

Well done on the stairs. I’m lucky in that I’m OK on stairs but still have to dare the second rung of a ladder - it may just be one step too far for me.

Thank you @FionaB1 I have to say the thought of a ladder makes me feel anxious. Well done on managing the first rung………. May be some time before I get there.

@FionaB1 The second rung of a ladder :scream: wow I never done that even before the stroke :rofl:

Oh I certainly will be singing my own praises :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

it’s great reading everyone’s achievements, well done to us :heart:

My little one this morning has been hanging a washing out, thought it would be the reaching up that would’ ve been difficult but it was the sun blinding me even with sunglasses on, who knew the washing pole would be great for clinging on to but it’s done … I keep looking out the window admiring my work :rofl:

3 Likes

Great success stories from all. Well done!
As the saying goes, “You have to learn to walk before you can run!”.
Setting and meeting personal goals is a great way forward. Support and praise from others is nice but think of it as a bonus!
Only you know how hard it is to achieve your goal, whether it is walking up a step or writing a shopping list or putting out bins (and btw) did you get a thanks from your neighbour? :smiley:

1 Like

Had a lovely day today with a trip out and a walk by the canal - nearly 8pm and I am still awake - will probably be exhausted tomorrow so posting today while I can appreciate it

Celebrate your achievements big and small people don’t realise the effort it takes to do these things well done keep up the good work

1 Like

@ManjiB no but he probably thought it was my Son that did it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Shwmae @Sharon_B, I remember distinctly the list of achievements I made during the early recovery months … putting on socks while standing, showering, making the bed, hoovering, and the big one was when I stopped shuffling. I’m sad to say, no one noticed, except for the shuffling. I always kept people updated though, people forget. They look at you and think you are just as them. I have discovered people are much more attuned to hearing what is going on, rather than noticing. In some sense, it requires gently spelling it out. I think this comes from sitting in classrooms, having to listen to teachers, rather than getting out and observing the world.

2 Likes