Life Hacks for Stroke Survivors

I will Mark trust me…

Said the actress to the bishop…

Bovril…yum

Lovely hot low calorie beef drink

Good idea the clamps ‘from the middle of Lidl’ certainly sound useful. On the reading front pre-stroke, I was an avid reader but now my eyesight. Is poor,even too poor for a large kindle. And there is the holding issue! So I have audio books downloaded to my I-pad. I mainly get them from the local library and they are free! They have a huge range and sometimes very recent. If I desperately want a new book my daughters get it for me from Amazon.

3 Likes

Hi @Georgie2021, fantastic advice about using library for audio books. I had been meaning to register and check out what is available. I registered online today and just went down to collect my card. Wow! I can’t believe how much e publications are available through the library. It is absolutely amazing and will keep me busy for ages.

Thanks for inspiring me to go and register.
Another brilliant tool that will help us less abled Strokees.

Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

Do you use BorrowBox? It’s an app that accesses your libraries audio collection. It is completely free.

2 Likes

I didn’t but I do now! Just downloaded it to go with Libby & Pressreader. There seems to be some cross over but I can see which suits me best.

Thanks

2 Likes

With physical books, I got into the habit of having a cushion on my knees to free up my hands somewhat and used my old kindle to keep the book open as well as keep my place on the page. Still do it even with my new kindle as it keeps my lap warm :laughing:

3 Likes

Can you tell me please what Pressreader and the other thing you mentioned are? Also how you assess them. Thank you.

1 Like

Now that is something I’m definitely going to look into as I’m an avid reader and Amazon must be making a small fortune from me alone :flushed: Wonder if I can download to Kindle :thinking: Thanks for the tip @Georgie2021 :smile:

2 Likes

Hi there, they are apps for your phone or computer/tablet so you can read electronic versions of newspapers and magazines. Once you have joined your local library and got a card number you will be able to log into these apps. BorrowBox is an app for listening to audio books from your library.

I’m sure once you join they will be able to help you set these things up.

Good luck, it’s really worth doing!

1 Like

BorrowBox is a fantastic app, as it borrows eBooks and audiobooks from your local library.

2 Likes

Thanks Rups, I’m going to look into it over the weekend now, I never even knew such things existed. Do you think I would be able to use them on my kindle paperwhite?

2 Likes

Not sure, but for authors like me with a small readership, it has been a godsend. I think @SimonInEdinburgh knows of others too.

1 Like

Thnx for the @ tag @rups
Kindle is Amazon and their product is ’Audible’ 8£ a month according to a search.

I’m more of a nonfiction & via fone person where there is a an ocean of spoken word stuff for free
I find stuff by searching the topics I’m interested in

I’d search ”alternative to audible free” and “audio books free” those searches, for example, will throw up tons of results like ‘similarweb’ which tells you the top five competitors in the UK or globally if you want them elsewhere

YouTube can keep me amused for hours as well there’s lots of good rehab channels on YouTube

2 Likes

Holy WOW! This is going to be so helpful for me that I am going to print it and post it over my desk!!! (We have similar issues). In hopes of returning the favor: I did an online program a friend of my speech therapist started. It is to help with executive/cognitive functions. It is free. It is called CogSmart.com. Sounds like you have already learned a bunch of ways around, but it might have some more ideas for you. Sure helped me.

2 Likes

I’m with you! I don’t do business with Amazon, prefer non-fiction, and my eyes can’t handle the screen for long enough at one time.

2 Likes

That’s interesting…