Life Hacks for Stroke Survivors

Hello my lovely fellow Strokees!
I thought I’d start a new topic to discuss & share helpful tips that we have come up with to help us try to do the things we used to (or at least try to do them :joy:).

I’ll start the ball rolling with something I found a few weeks ago in the “middle of Lidl”. I used to be pretty keen doing odd DIY jobs around the house, but now find lots of things really difficult and frustrating due to having almost no feeling in my left hand. My Lidl purchase was a boxed set of 16 assorted mini clamps that help me hold things in place and can be used for many different things.

Another thing I used to enjoy was reading, but post stroke made holding a book and turning pages very difficult (& caused many bent pages). So I got myself a kindle which has been fantastic (& helps with eye strain as you can increase font size). I love it and often find kindle books considerably cheaper than physical (which certainly wasn’t the case several years ago).

Anyway hopefully this topic could generate some handy tips for us to share.

People could also ask for advice from others to suggest possible ideas for particular hurdles. We as a community, are the best people to think of ways to get around some of these problems because we have a vested interest in helping ourselves live the best life we can!

On that very worthy note I’ll sign off.
Mark.

9 Likes

Hi I endorse the comments about the kindle. It is particularly useful for reading the newspaper. Lilian.

3 Likes

I use this for opening jars as although i have use of my hand back it isn’t as strong as it used to be. You don’t need to hold the jar for it to work.

6 Likes

Easing myself into cooking. Bloke when grilled by ladies at stroke group about what he could cook said mix of mashed potatoes and corned beef. Which was more than I could do.Well as a vegetarian first settled for baked bean with mixed herbs and soy sauce at bottom of casserole mashed potatoes on top and capped with shredded Red Leicester cheese. Two years on lots variations on that theme.

8 Likes

For jars and bottles I have a belli-clamp which holds the jar. I use an
anti-slip map to improve grip.
I also have a combined buttering/spike board.
The most useful tool in the kitchen is a good pair of scissors, used for:
opening packaging, chopping herbs (in a mug), cutting up meat, as cutlery.

9 Likes

Hi @Ingo66
I endorse the message of sharing hacks and the most understanding and motivation

Most of mine are targeted at encouraging use of my affected side as combat to learned non use.

I’ve used a phone for reading (via pdf, kindle, playbooks-google) for a long time.
I have a lanyard through the corner of the phone cover to make it easier to hold, use the swype/gboard text entry system and on the pc use stickykeys to make 1 handed operation easier.

For fighting LNU I try to use for light switches, general carrying I’m not quite at always attempt 1st but nearly

4 Likes

As most of my issues are visual/spatial, I’ll add to this helpful list a couple of cognitive aids I use:

• To aid my working memory, I use my associative memory. So for instance, to remember to water my seedlings, I may put one of our houseplants in an odd spot. I wake up the next day, see the houseplant next to the telly, and it reminds me to go out and water the seedlings.

• To further aid my working memory with multiple to do tasks, I put them in a memorable song like the Grand Old Duke of York. Example, “Got to get in wood, and change the sheets today, empty out the full ash bucket and put the clothes away.”

• Before tackling a task, I run through each step in my head, I imagine myself doing it. This seems to aid keeping fatigue at a minimal.

• I use the spoon theory when cooking. Prepare everything first, ingredients ready in little bowls. This means I use less cognitive and physical energy while doing the actual cooking. It relates to the one action theory, reducing steps in order to achieve an action. It can be applied to anything really.

That’s a few I think of at the moment.

9 Likes

Great topic @Ingo66 Mark …cheers for starting this off. Maybe it can go on the stroke association website under helpful hints and tips for stroke survivors. Maybe one for @AshleyTH to look into and consider.

I guess mine are less practical and more psychological…

1. tell your nearest and dearest if youre having a down day…
  2. recognise fatigue signs and respect them by resting
  3. remember its OK not always to be OK
  4. and not to be so hard on yourself
  5. if too many things are getting on top of you, then put them into bite size chunks and take control back of one thing at a time. Bit like aa Tunnocks wafer bar, 5 bites of delicious chocolate and wafer rather than trying to eat of whole.
  6. embrace version 2 of yourselves and the things you do better now than you did before

They work for me anyway

8 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to my attention @TRFCANDY53! What a great topic.

We’ll have to figure out a way to point people here so they get an up-to-date list as well!!

3 Likes

@AshleyTH leave that clever stuff to you !!!

Cheers

Andy

2 Likes

Hi all,
I’m so pleased to see all the useful hints and tips. Keep them coming.

Something that my son bought me when I was first in hospital and struggling to do much with my only working (non dominant right) hand was a “pop socket” to use my phone one handed. Others have also mentioned phone holders but they are so helpful.

My wife also bought me two plastic cups which I still use today. Tommee Tippee No Knock Toddler Trainer Cups :rofl::rofl::rofl:which have a rubber bottom that sticks to tables or trays making them hard to knock over. I still like using them because I know they won’t smash if I drop them so it’s one less thing to worry about!

7 Likes
  1. Wrap all the dirty clothes you are going to wash in a shirt and tie it to your Zimmer frame. Then walk it to the washing machine.
  2. Use one of those peg baskets , rigid plastic ones and hook onto your frame/stroller. Load items into it and carry it to where you wish.
  3. Make a drink in a small flask type cup ( they have lids) pop into your pocket or rigid basket on your frame and walk to where ever you wish to go.
  4. Try and write with your finger as though it is a pen when you are trying to find the words you want to say. (A pen maybe awkward to hold )
  5. When I forget the word I want to say in a sentence. I hold up my hand and say "I will come back to that " and you will, believe it. Maybe much later but you will still remember it.
  6. Remember it is okay to mumble the words out, it is still progress and noise is progress.
  7. Use a not pad to write on when you get tongue tied :crazy_face: or tired . Remember the words will come back.
  8. I have words written on pink paper and sellotaped to my stroller." Brakes off " ,“Move frame”, “Brakes on” “Move feet”. It helps with remembering the SAFE way to walk with a Stroller. Besides that I can’t quite remember the sequence at the moment. :joy:
9 Likes

[quote=“Sandy1, post:13, topic:33140”]
When I forget the word I want to say in a sentence. I hold up my hand and say "I will come back to that " a
[/quote] :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I have startled many people, days later, mentioning a word I had forgotten during a conversation days before. For me, it’s a triumph, for them, I imagine, I must come across as awfully absent-minded.

6 Likes

“Normal” people will never understand how important these things are to us!

5 Likes

Define ‘normal’ Mark…that made me chuckle.

Ive never worn that badge - pre or post stroke

Hope all well

2 Likes

Fair point, me neither :rofl:. Perhaps I should have said non brain damaged people.

3 Likes

Yes that works Mark. How was your Monday?

1 Like

Not too bad for a work day and you?

2 Likes

Im looking fwd to a work day (well a few hours to start with)…hopefully not too long away now.

2 Likes

That’s good news but make sure you ease in slowly even though you’ll want to ramp up quickly

1 Like