Iyengar Yoga

Hi I have practised Iyengar Yoga for 20 years. I had an acute stroke 2 years ago. Main problems are balance and memory.
My question is what poses should I avoid? My neighbour who is a Pilates teacher said I shouldn’t be doing inverted poses such as a headstand etc.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what poses I should avoid?

@Puck sorry you had your stroke but welcome to our friendly forum. I cannot help sorry but someone might be able to on this forum. Good luck and I wish you good recovery :blush: Loraine

Shwmae @Puck, sorry to hear you got struck and welcome to the forum. I don’t know much about yoga, I practice Tai chi, but I do know that Pilates can be quite strenuous and yoga can put a strain on the body with some positions. I did hear of one person having a cerebellar stroke from a yoga position. I guess the answer would be not to do any positions that potentially twist or could pinch an artery but I am far from knowledgeable with this. Maybe contact a physiotherapist and see what they have to say.

Hi Puck, welcome to the forum.

I too asked this question after having a stroke as I regularly practiced yoga pre stroke. There are articles that advise yoga is good for stroke patients as it improves mind-body connection, balance, mood and gait and even some videos on line.

Yoga teacher training here says avoid inversion poses and neck twists, start slowly and don’t overdo it.

If you go to class with an instructor, tell the instructor about the stroke and they should advise of modifications for you to follow.

Namaste :woman_in_lotus_position: Best wishes