Identifying outcomes for dysarthria that matter to stroke survivors

Researchers at the University of Manchester are interested in hearing the views of stroke survivors with first-hand experience of dysarthria to understand how speech recovery after stroke should be measured.

You will be asked to complete two questionnaires and to join a digital workshop to discuss the findings and shape the recommendations.

What is the study about?

Dysarthria affects over 50% of stroke survivors. It is a motor speech difficulty which causes speech to be less clear, slurred or sound different. It can have a major impact on confidence.

There is little research into dysarthria after stroke, and current studies all measure different things. To work out which treatments are best, research studies must all assess the same things.

This study aims to identify what those key measures should be. It is vital these are shaped by people affected by dysarthria to make sure they are important to the people affected. So we want to know what aspects of speech recovery you think should be measured.

What will it involve?

You will be asked to complete two questionnaires, rating what you think is most and least important to measure. The first will be in July, with a second in October this year, each taking around 30-45mins.

We will then discuss this information at two digital workshops in 2023, where stroke survivors, speech therapists and researchers will jointly agree which aspects of speech recovery should be measured and how.

Who can take part?

We would like to hear from stroke survivors with first-hand experience of dysarthria, living anywhere in the UK and Australia.

How can I register my interest?

Please contact the team with any questions or to find out more about taking part at: COSSpeech@manchester.ac.uk or 0161 275 1731 or visit: https://sites.manchester.ac.uk/cos-speech/.

You can access the survey here: https://delphimanager.liv.ac.uk/COSSPEECH/Delphi

Hello!
I am one of the team working of this project. Do feel free to contact me at COSSpeech@manchester.ac.uk or on 0161 275 1731 if you would like any more information.
Many thanks
Kate