I have not had another stroke

My consultant called at lunchtime and told me a i have not had another stroke. I had over done things on Tuesday and the symptoms of slurred speech weakness in right arm were allas a result of that. My mri was ok but i have to do the same if i have symptoms in the future. Im so happy :blush:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s great news. So glad you havenā€™t had another strokešŸ˜Š

Regards Sue

2 Likes

Fantastic news @Veggiepatch you can relax a bit now. Really pleased for you xx

3 Likes

Anyone else notice this? ? :thinking: I notice that if Iā€™m tired or not feeling well, I begin to limp a little like I did after my stroke 5 years ago. I donā€™t limp at all when Iā€™m on top of my game. Jeanne

8 Likes

Im really happy but a bit apprehensive. It was jan 23 that i had my stroke, its frightened me that by overdoing it i had symptoms like weak right arm, dropping things brain not working and my speech so badly affected. But i know how lucky i have been

3 Likes

Speaking to my stroke consultant today it is perfectly normal. Our brain pre stroke no
longer exists apparently. The ā€œnewā€ pathways can forget when we are ill or tired.

1 Like

Well that is certainly news worthy of a celebration :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Itā€™s just a matter of pacing yourself better like eliminating one activity to accommodate another when needs be, and finding a routine that works for you.

2 Likes

Great news @Veggiepatch will be a relief for you to hear that. Just try and take things a bit easier.

Steve

1 Like

Great news vital to remember that when your brain gets tired to give it rest right away its a muscle and will govern your body fatigue. The brain in non stroke people uses around 20% of your energy in people who had had a stroke its is very much higher so i am informed, so just be aware of this and think all will be well.
good luck and take care
Wattsy

3 Likes

I think itā€™s common that if we overdo things it can bring back some of our stroke symptoms that arenā€™t present at ither times.

@Veggiepatch try and pace yourself a bit more; easier said than done sometimes. Overdoing it can make your symptoms worse. Youā€™ll get used to what affect it has over time. Always scary though.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s all comforting. I just had my third experience of losing my speech today ā€” for 5 minutes. I am 10 weeks since a brain bleed. Complete aphasia today and no other symptoms.

This time I was walking gently in a local park with a friend. No pressure, no stress, no tiredness, a quiet Saturday. In the middle of an easy conversation I couldnā€™t speak a word. Not a word. It lasted no more than 5 minutes and over next 5 minutes quickly returned to normal. I was then talking completely normally and now, an hour later, I can write and type as fluently ever.

Maybe I have some kind of migraine, but I have all kinds of headaches coming and going so itā€™s hard to tell.

First return of these scary stroke symptoms was last Saturday and I ended up in hospital. After five hours observation and a scan, they sent me home putting it down to raised blood pressure and maybe a migraine. I donā€™t want to get rushed into hospital every few days! On the other hand I am concerned. Itā€™s not a very comfortable situation to be in.

3 Likes

The early days post stroke can be a very worrying time & every time we get the symptoms we had with our stroke we imagine itā€™s happening again. I had a few trips back & forth initially but learnt in time to ride it out. If youā€™ve done too much the fatigue will kick in & it can make you feel like youā€™ve regressed. Done Too much can be very little & because itā€™s much less than you used to do you donā€™t see it as too much. A walk and conversation was beyond me at 10 weeks - a conversation alone was exhausting. Perhaps that bought on your symptoms.

Having said all that if you are worried you should always get checked out.

2 Likes

I was around 9 weeks post and blacked out in the bathroom so I totally get it and thought I had a second too!

It genuinely does get easier I promise

3 Likes

Thatā€™s quite comforting to hear if it is correct. I often feel like I have regressed to a less recovered state. Iā€™ve thought that it could be due to tiredness interfering with recovery but if this is proven fact and not just opinion itā€™s good to know.

3 Likes

Over the moon for you! After about 8 weeks of my diagnosis, I woke up will facial dropping. After a disaster of a visit with my local a & e department, my consultant called and said I had done the right thing going there and was more than likely experiencing what she called ā€œdecompensationā€ issues whereas my body will mimic the stroke symptoms if im tired or coming down with something! Was good to know. She did stress however if it was more than one I need to attend hospital asap. All a learning curve, the brain is indeed a strange organ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@LisaG1978 just popping by to say hi & welcome to the community. Decompensation is something that we all need to be aware of but we never get told about it. If Iā€™d been told I might have saved a tortuous trip to A&E but it is so difficult to know whether to get checked or not. I guess we must always err on the side of caution.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Hi @LisaG1978 just popped in to welcome you to the forumā€¦and for adding another symptom to the long list of stroke after effects the hospitals never think to tell you about :sweat_smile:

@Mrs5K it was still the right thing to do. Its been a couple of years since your stroke and only the hospitals are equipped to rule out another one, so you were in the right place to get the prompt treatment required if you were having another stroke.

This is probably is why doctors donā€™t mention this, so we donā€™t get too blase and risk killing ourselves by thinking its just decompensation . . .stroke decompensation is not like Braxton Hicks.

2 Likes

It happens to me a lot too,my stroke side gets numb and feels weird especially as my job is physical so I get tired a lot .But this is my second year since my stroke.
Wish everybody well .

4 Likes

Welcome
I hope youā€™re post stroke life is shaping up well :slight_smile:
Caio

1 Like