I didn't have any understanding of what was happening to me

It is good we can all share, it does help you feel that other people know exactly what you are going through.

I had my first stoke 4 years ago, whilst fitting a kitchen for my customer. I was 56 at the time, fit and healthy, I bent down to pick something off the floor and went light headed. I sat for a while thinking it would pass, but it didn't, so I said to my customer that I would go home as I didn't feel well. I was going to call my wife as I didn't want to drive but Graham my customer said he would take me.

Poor guy, he was 80, and as I got to his car my balance was going. I had to lift my left  leg in  and as we drove I said, do you mind taking me to the hospital, I think I am having a stroke , I could feel the numbness starting at my foot and working its way up to my face. Bless him, he did go through red lights to get me there I was diagnosed very quickly,but BP was too high for any treatment 220/130. 24 hrs later every thing came back, but I had another 3 days later which was more permanant.

4 years on, NHS  stroke Llandough hospital still help me. My stay was originaly 7 weeks but even at home they are still in contact. My leg is getting stronger and still working on the arm but there are still signs of progress, even after 4 years. So keep pushing yourselves, don't give up and never let anybody tell you things might never change, because they can.

Hello all,  my stroke happened May 2018.  I was 45 at the time. My husband and I had taken our daughter to her bus, came home and I heard loud ringing in my ears.  I fell.  My husband called for an ambulance.  He recalls asking me if I needed one an I said yes.  I recall being afraid when the ambulance arrived ( don't recall why).  I was physically sick and I recall going to hospital,  I had a large clot and was in hospital for a week.  Had trouble recalling certain words and weakness down my right side.  I have to walk with a cane now.  I'm irritated that my husband is 80 and compared to me he's healthy! But hey not his fault!  A year and a half later in November I spend 3 months in hospital I don't remember as I had an "infection" but none of the doctors could state what it was.  Anyhoo, been ok since, so far...

Hi, my stroke occurred at 15:15 04 Oct 20. I felt fine nothing untowards, I went into the kitchen to get a drink and went into the freezer and the fridge but didnt get a drink and when I looked at my wife who was prepping the veg for sunday dinner she knew something was wrong. She asked if I was okay but when I tried replying no words were coming out, although I could hear in my head. Rang the ambulance and taken straight to the stroke unit. They were very good, gave me the clot buster, CT scan and speaking to the hospital in London. I had all movement, arms and legs it was only my speech that I lost for a few days, and then I had trouble stringing sentences together.

Although in the summer I had a mini TIA and thought nothing of it, my arms was shaking uncontrollably for about 30 seconds, and stopped, then a weird taste of metal in my mouth. My wife was on the second 9 of 999 but then i said look it has stopped. Should listen to others. In my notes it said my cartorid artery had thinned and I had high cholestrol. Dont know how, I am, was, fit and healthy, now I do 3 miles running and in clip, and my upper body strength is all but gone but working in slow time getting it back. 

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that things have got worse over the last few months. I remind myself how fortunate I was and try not to take anything for granted now. The doctors never found out the cause of my stroke, so apart from taking the medications I also try to relax and meditate. I find that when I'm stressed my left side does tighten up and feels worse.

I hope that things can improve for you and you are getting the support you need. Take care, Neil.

I can recommend keeping a diary.. i briefly note how things have been each day. 

one of th big plusses of the diary is to read what was going on 12 months ago, then realize things are improving.

stroke recovery is so slow that i cant see any improvemnt day by day.

but improvement does happen.

smile a lot

be positive

lots of us out here are willing you on

colin

What kind of stroke did you have?

Four years ago I had a stroke in my cerebellum. The symptoms were identical to labyrinthitis (vomiting, extreme loss of balance, whirling head) which had been doing the rounds in this area. We phoned 111 for an emergency doctor who did the FAST (Face, Arms, Speech, Time) test, said I hadn't had a stroke and did have labyrinthitis. She gave me something for the nausea which my own doctor (who confirmed the diagnosis) repeated. My balance remained severely precarious for about 4 weeks and thereafter (to this day) remains unreliable. For five months I still experienced extreme tiredness, wobbly balance and problems being accurate with my words. I visited the doctor three times because I was concerned about this and was told not to worry,it was the labyrinthitis but it wasn't until about five and a half months after the initial incident that my persistence finally led to a doctor in the practice saying she thought I might have had a stroke. It took another three months after being referred that I finally had blood tests (again I had to keep pushing for an appointment) and an MRI which revealed that I had had a severe stroke that had affected extremely a piece of my brain the size of a two pound coin. I saw it on the MRI.

During the time I waited I had none of the essential protective medication which I needed to be prescribed immediately. I had also flown twice, once to Scotland and once to Rome, during the time when I should have avoided flying.

Lessons? People need to be more familiar with the symptoms of a cerebellum stroke and also need to be persistent in getting the care they need!

Hi I'm Daphne I had a left infarct cerebral stroke in March 2020. It came after a holiday abroad followed by a chest infection (in My mind now probably COVID). I was a relatively fit 66yr old. I came out in an all over red rash, went to bed then an hour later got up and collapsed. Hospital diagnosed pneumonia at first and told me next day I'd had a stroke. One year on I walk   With a stick when I'm out. Try to walk at least 1 mile a day and have a static bike. I had nausea for 9 months that has just eased. I had no loss of speech. The whole of my body has discomfort from nerve endings. Does anyone else have this?

Hi I had my ischaemic stroke 12 months ago. Still feel like I list to the left and feel unsure to go walking alone with my dog. We probably live miles apart otherwise we could walk together! Daphne 

Hi Carol , cerebellum stroke over 1.5 years ago.  I belive these symptoms are difficult to recognise,  as you stated. Interested  how you improved over the 4 years,  ie fatigue etc . Unfortunately I understand with cerebellum strokes ,not to expect poss recovery as quickly,  as this is almost nerve centre. I feel no real improvement mobility,  getting muddled etc .Thanks David. 

Mine was similar to yours but mine was a pons stroke.  Mine started with strong pain at the back of my right ear.  At the time we were on holiday (luckily had cancelled going away so just took days out) and had taken our dogs for a long walk into the back of beyond.  I had been walking our young Labrador on a long lead so put the pain in my ear/neck was maybe pup had wrenched me when trying to run after a deer.  During the evening the headache joined the pain and I felt rotten.  That night I couldn't sleep properly with a spinning head feeling which I presumed was one of my usual migraines coming on.  By morning I felt so very heavy and when I tried to get out of bed it was so difficult.  Each time I tried to stand I would fall into the wardrobe.  Somehow I managed to crawl into the shower and had to lean against the wall to keep upright but still kept falling forward.  My hubby phoned for an appointment with the doctor who immediately knew things weren't right although he wasn't sure what it was.  By this time I couldn't keep my eyes open as my eyes were flickering continually and I was feeling queasy.  The doc sent me to hospital and they did test after test where they took me by wheelchair.  This resulted in each time I was moved I would throw up again - it was horrible.  Nothing was conclusive as I past all the FAST tests (although one side of my mouth was slightly down).  I was kept in over the weekend with a MRI planned for Monday.  All this time I was totally convinced it was labyrinthitus but the MRI confirmed it was a pontine stroke.  It was too late for the clot busting drug so I was given aspirin and Atrostatin and kept in hospital for 12 days.  This was 7 months ago now and I am still off work with balance issues, nystagmus, icy cold feeling down my left side and the dreaded fatigue.  My memory is useless (I can be making a cake and walk off leaving everything out on the side without noticing.  My poor hubby is forever clearing up behind me).  I go to do something and haven't a clue what it was, read a few pages of a book and haven't a clue what I read, even following a knitting pattern can be ridiculously hard - just silly things like that).  The consultant has told me that he can't promise that my balance issues will ever get better now and I may always have my stick but I know things could have been so very much worse.  They are still trying to find out the exact reason I took a stroke but it is suspected it was due to stress (from work) and a huge increase in having to take my migraine medication because of the stress that finally resulted in the stroke which does make sense.  Strangely since my stroke where I was taken off all migraine medicine and Ibuprofen, I have only had 3 migraines which I could only help with paracetemol and ice packs.  Previously I could have 3 migraines a day for say 5 days a week, which were treated with powerful drugs.  A stroke certainly makes you stop taking things for granted.

You have suddenly made me realise that my FM hasn't been half as bad since my stroke nor has my migraines.  How weird! 

Hi Jenny - I replied with the start of my ordeal on an early post but just picking up on your fear of falling I will share this with you.

So after having my stroke at the end of July, by December I was convinced I would have to go back to my job (school clerical) which is a demanding, stressful and totally daft job.  With this in mind I decided that I was fit enough to take my dogs (two Labradors) out for a walk one at a time.  We have an eight year old and at that point a 11 month old puppy Lab.  I decided, with hubby totally against it, to take the youngest out first.  Off we went into the woods near our house.  All the way along the road Hollie walked beautifully to heel and I was so proud of her (I had my stick in the right side, pup on the left).  We walked up the track, even had her off lead for a while until coming up to the sheep field where I clipped her back on her long lead).  Then as we turned the corner and walked along the lane my juddery eyesight noticed a couple and a dog coming along towards us.  At the very point my eyes let me see it was a friend with his dog was the very point Hollie noticed one of her bestest buddies in the world and took off at high speed.  Now my hubby has always told me that if one of the dogs should bolt and I wasn't able to stop them by shouting then to drop the lead so what did I do......?  I let my stick go (it was on a tie around my wrist), grabbed the lead handle with both hands with all my strength then everything went in slow motion.  Both my feet left the ground and I ended up splat out, face down in a deep, muddy puddle with blood pouring from my forehead (blood thinners making things look dramatic and all that).  All I could do was cry as both men rushed over with my friend holding onto Hollie and his mate helping me out of the mess.  Luckily my friend was a nurse and quickly sprang into action to clean me up whilst I called hubby to come and fetch me.  What made all this worse was it turned out that the mate of my friend was my own GP's hubby I heard later.  

Also my pup has had me face down on our lawn a good few times as she races up fast to me with her toy and I lose balance.  Thankfully, well as far as I know, nobody has witnessed my home falls but crikey I bruise dreadfully.

As to walking - even with my stick I veer to the right.  If fatigued then I tend to stagger too especially in places like Tesco.  I find supermarkets so very overwhelming now and can appreciate sensory overload.  Just too big, too noisy, too much to see and too many flipping people.  I so hate shopping now which I guess isn't a bad thing as I can't stay in there long enough to spend too much.  Luckily hubby comes along with me as he can pick things up that are low down as I have come close to falling into the lower shelves a couple of times.  

This stroke lark is certainly ridiculous!

Love the name Wobblylegs!!  You've certainly been in the wars.  When you're already wobbly, it takes very little to cause a fall.  Since my husband's stroke he has walked like one of the Thunderbirds puppets after a few beers - we joke about this regularly, but it's not really funny, because he could topple over in a strong breeze.  Dogs and puppies can be unpredictable, and your husband is right, you need to drop the lead, but of course in the heat of the moment it's never that straightforward ?? 

Don't give up walking your dogs, but always make sure someone knows your route and can come to your rescue if it seems like you've been gone too long!!  Also make sure you know how to get up - John Jeff and Colin will certainly tell you this!  

Take good care, stay positive ?

January 2021.
It was early one Sunday morning,  not even late enough to be called a lie in! My lovely dog, Lexi  kept on pawing me in a very demanding way to be let out. I remember getting cross with her as it was so early and rolled over. She kept badgering me so (I did not want to get up up to  a puddle or worse in the kitchen) I got up. I felt absolutely fine, except for the creaky knees. She flew down the stairs ahead of me and waited and waited. Halfway down the stairs my left arm fell off the bannister. I remember looking at it and thinking that's odd! And I waited for the tingling of pins and needles to start but nothing. My face and head started to feel a bit numb and I pressed my lips together to see if I could feel. I could feel me touching my my left arm it was very difficult to move . Anyway, I thought no it can't be  a stroke! And started walking around the house saying loudly " how now brown cow" and looked in the mirror at my face it was a bit droopy on the left  and I've always had a slightly crooked smile that my children have inherited, so it was difficult for me to judge. I'm a nurse and had years of experience working in trauma settings and just thought it was an exaggerated symptom of migraines I get but I didn't have a headache! Nothing at all. I walked badly back up the stairs and had a shower! I knew I wasn't right because my left arm wouldn't work properly I couldn't wash my hands, so I had a one armed shower then I decided to call 111, didn't want to cause a fuss you see.  
So after all the usual tests I was told that I would be admitted to the Acute Stroke Unit and yes I had indeed had a stroke a Lacunar Stroke and got chastised for not calling 999 sooner.

it has taken me well over a month to even get my head around the idea that I'd had one.  Thank my lucky stars , Angels etc that I have indeed been very lucky. My road to recovery has been fairly smooth but don't appear to be able to pace myself at all. I went back to work far too soon and now back on sick leave  as I was so slow and suffered the worst headaches all the time. These have thankfully eased now.

I'm very  grateful to all the doctors and staff at the hospital and my colleagues and friends. The Stroke association, especially Cristina, has been a lifeline and all the courageous survivors of stroke sharing their stories and experiences, you may never realise how much you have helped me and the depth of your impact has on me and others. 
ive just realised I haven't mentioned my family, they are grown up and live far away but one daughter lives closest and she has been my rock along with my gorgeous but useless but helpful at the same time, partner whom I love dearly. He has researched nearly everything related to stroke and recovery.

Well done if you got to the end of this!

Claire.

Hi, I had my stroke just before NewYear 2021.Looking back I think that stress and anxiety had been building up during Covid and I had just been made redundant from my job. The night before my stroke symptoms, my daughter called round to tell me the news that herself and the family were moving to Asia as she had a job there. This came as a bolt out of the blue and I reacted to it badly.The next morning after breakfast my tongue and the tips of my fingers started to go numb. I quickly called an ambulance. I had a slight headache and by the time the paramedics arrived also had a large visual aura. They checked my bp and said it was slightly up plus all the speech and strength tests. They concluded that it wasn’t a stroke but a bad migraine stating that your mouth can go numb with a migraine. They also added that there was a spike of Covid and I wouldn’t want to be in hospital if not necessary. By this time the symptoms had passed so I took them at their word. The following week I still had the headache plus the occasional temporary numbing but treated it as migraine. There were no GP appointments so diagnosing was on the phone and I was given migraine tablets. By the third week I had gone to stay with a friend who now says that she would’nt have thought it was a stroke. Eventually after experiencing disorientation I was taken to hospital where they told me I had had a stroke and asked why I hadn’t come in sooner!I now have some loss of peripheral vision in my left eyes and consequently unable to drive. I feel that this is all a bad dream and I will wake up soon. I am angry at myself for listening to the paramedics and not insisting I go to hospital. Stroke gives you so many things to deal with both physically and mentally. I am starting some CBT therapy to help me through this and to help conquer my constant fear of a second stroke. This is the first time I have spoken about my stroke on a chat forum. Good Luck everyone x

I am so sorry you have had such a roller coaster! I wanted to reply as you will soon get a reply from more experienced people but I know what it feels like to be afraid of having another stroke. I had had no idea in 2017 that I had had a stroke and actually ended up in A&E for a blood test. Luckily I had called the oncall doctor thinking I had something else. Please keep in touch. Best wishes Hilary

Thanks Hilary,

How is your recovery going, does the fear of a second stroke get better?

I haven't had another stroke but unfortunately had two seizures a year apart. I think the thing to do is to live a day at a time as you don't know what may come up. I'm supposed to have epilepsy. I haven't had anything for a year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's early days for you yet. Other people will advise you to keep positive.

Best wishes Hilary 

Dear Mother Bear

so sorry you have had a stroke,  but welcome to the forum.

A second stroke can follow the first one, but usually it would be within one month, so you should be ok now.

a lot of us have an irrational fear of another stroke. Your brain did not like the stroke so it will make every warning to avoid another one. This fear is your brain trying to warn you off having another one.

You mention that the effects are mental as well as physical. To fight the mental state, you would benefit from being positive. Many people do not survive a stroke, but you have survived so you are already special. Think about the things you can do and not the things that you can not.

you might be wise to talk about a stroke and not my stroke. You didnt choose to have a stroke so dont treat it as your buddy. The stroke, i.e the stroking, lasted just a few hours and now you are in to the recovery stage. 

anger is a common part of your recovery. Its one thing i didnt get. Every stroke is different. 

Dont beat yourself up about not presenting yourself to hospital. The medics did the best they could and, in the circumstances, did well to keep you away from a covid overloaded hospital. I knew nothing about strokes, yet i knew i had had one. How i knew is a mystery. I told my wife to dial 999 and say i am having a stroke. Boy were the medics amazing. They got to me in two minutes and quickly ascertained that i was past the stage when clot busting was possible. So speed was no longer so important.

i tell everyone...

be positive. Smile, smile, smile, you are not alone

colin