I didn't have any understanding of what was happening to me

Hello, I had my stroke in Dec 2019. Like many others here, I set myself tiny targets for getting out, e.g. up to next door but one & return, then a little further and so on. I walked with my hubby & I was excited when one day I actually went on my own. It does get better but I really had to learn to accept my limitations. I also found background noise a major problem & was worried about it until Headway confirmed it was a side effect. but that has receded. Covid has not helped our situations as it shutdown the support systems & healthcare proffessionals.

Hi,

I am 61 and had my stroke just over 2 years ago. It was a clot on the side of the hypothalamus. I was (and still am) a keen runner having done about 32 marathons over the years. It was on a Saturday at 5am and I was about to get up to drive to run another marathon. I was lying in bed and experienced what felt like a tingling wave down one side of my head and a slight nauseas feeling. When I got up I noticed a slight weakness on the left side of my body and noticed an effort getting into the shower. My wife was the one that thought it strange and suggested we go to the local polyclinic. When we got there it was closed, so we went straight to the A&E. Now I realise we should have phoned for an ambulance, but I didn't realise how serious it was at the time. At the hospital they took the symptoms and within no time I was being assessed for a stroke and they quickly gave me a clot-busting injection. I have been lucky and although I still have some stiffness, numbness and pins and needles down the left side of my body I can do most of the things I used to do......and yes I still can go running and have even managed to complete some more marathons (just slower). Much of the recovery for me was overcoming the fear of having another stroke and learning how to deal with the loss of sensation and pins and needles down the left side of the body.

Hi I'm Michael I had my stroke in November 2018 it was in the middle of the night and I can remember the paramedics coming out to me and saying I had got vertigo I had not got any symptoms of a stroke that was on a Tuesday night and I can't remember anything else till the Sunday after when I woke up in hospital and my wife said I had a stroke and that I had a operation to relieve pressure that was building up on my brain I am not to bad now but still wobble from time to time and still feel safer when out to have my stick with me I am 73years old and used to enjoy my walking in the Peak District 

Me neither thought I had covid was coughing and being sick.

Hi, you're very lucky to be able to do what you can do. I too had a stroke about two years ago at age 53, but am still now unable to walk properly and unable to use my arm/hand, with my body continually aching, even after the smallest of walks.

Prior to the stroke I also enjoyed running (although not marathons!) and was in fact out running the night before my stroke. So, you've done very well to be able to run, never mind complete marathons again. You're doing briliantly!

I actually feel I have deteriorated over the last few months, with my affected side aching more and more, even after the smallest activity. So, all in all you're doing great. Keep up the good work!

Hi, I was 61 when I had my stroke. Had just dropped granddaughter off for her ballet lesson. Got home, and said to my wife "I don't feel well, just going for a lie down". It felt like I'd been in the pub all afternoon.

She realised something was wrong, and called an ambulance. On arrival at A&E, was assessed, and left waiting for consultant. Was violently sick, and taken off to the stroke ward. Still no stroke symtems. Woke up following morning, could'nt move my leg / arm on my left side.

Consultant said I had a stroke during the night, by which time, was too late for any action.

2 years down the line, still very little movement in my left leg, although arm is very slowly getting better

Mine happened through the night, I had pins and needles in my thumb and index finger and my leg felt a bit odd, thought no more, got in the car and went shopping to Tesco and Asda, still the same next morning, phoned GP, he said I should go to A & E, he faxed a letter, tests all day, kept me in for 3 days. I have had great treatment and the hospital are certainly looking after me. Just goes to show, you should enjoy every day, you never know what is going to happen lol x

If it takes nothing else, it certainly takes away your confidence. xx

Hi all I'm 68 and I had head pain and was sick once and felt terrible and went on to have my heamoragic stroke 3 years ago I count myself lucky as I had 2 burst in my head over two days  was told each time was severe migraines and sent home each time we were on hol in Spain at the time and the following day at night hubby got a doctor in to see me in hotel he sent me to a diff hos as we had insurance that night hubby said mt eyes rolled back in my head and he got help immediately they rushed me down to operating table after a scan I had another large aneurysm had burst I'd been born with this one and had the stroke on the op table Iv been so lucky was knocked out till they got two to surgeons flown in from 2 diff hospitals for me because it was all aught so quick I'm able to walk and talk ok I get tired so quick but getting better Iv taken up painting to help my coordination and it's helping it's given me neuropathy in my head and tip of tongue and left side of lips it's uncomfortable but manageable I had the neuropathy and also fibromyalgia before I had all this and it's weird but the the fibro isn't so bad now just have off days 

I was taken off the strong painkillers after the stroke and doubled my amytriptaline so I can sleep I can cope as long as I get a sleep otherwise everything is worse 

Iv got creams to rub in when sore and got a wee machine to use can't remeber the name though it has the wee pads on it and it's good on a bad day 

my memory is a bit off so is my balance but otherwise ok good considering  I just remind myself that on a bad day I'm so lucky to be here ad able to walk and talk that 1/2 hour window being seen as quick madeall the diff if it's longer I would have had  worse outcome  I had coils put in all 3 veins to keep them open 

I was in Spain when I had my I had two small brain bleeds over two days then a burst aneurysm a large one I was born with seemingly  then had a stroke when I was  on the table Iv been very lucky that I can walk and talk I was scared to go anywhere at the start it's been three years now and I feel safer going out now but it's taken me a while and I was lucky to still be here I take each day one at a time now thanking for another day every morning I got stuff put in the burst veins to keep them open you can only do what you can each day and set yourself achievable targets and push yourself a little at a time  I had mine 3 years ago and it took a good year before I felt I was improving and I'm sure I'm at recovery limit for me now but I still hope for more recovery never say never 

Hi Nic, just want to say your post has really cheered me up. I am early days yet (8weeks) I am walking like a thunderbird too and can only manage a 3rd of a mile so far. One of my favourite things is walking my dog too, so thank you for this post.

Richard

I had 2 minor strokes six and 3 months ago and had the same balance issue, though mine is going to the right and slightly forward. The physio gave me lots of simple balance exercises which have slowly helped. She says balance  often takes the longest time to improve, so patience and persistence is needed. Can you get your GP to refer you back to your hospital stroke unit Physio? They should be able to help. If not, each region should have a hospital with a Balance Clinic,usually part of ENT. They assess and treat all aspects of balance. Try Googling Balance Clinic. If none of this works, contact me and I'll send you the balance exercises I was given. I agree with others about taking short walks, maybe with someone if possible and building up confidence slowly. I too love walking...don't give up!

I had a TIA last year on the evening of the atack I felt unwell and went to bed at 9pm , at 10 pm I was violently cick and lost the use of my right side. My partner called for an ambulance and was admitted to Lincoln hospital where the stroke was diagnosed. I spent 4 days in the hospital and have made a reasonable recovery but I had a minor mini stroke in October and as result, I have vision and speech issues. I returned to work in September for two days a week but I gave this up last week so I can boost my recovery. I am still able to walk and play golf and I enjoy gardening but I get very tired in the evenings. I get very frustrated with small things and I am not as calm as I was pre stroke. I have just got to learn to be patient and not force things to happen. Chris

I had a bout of sudden onset deafness in my one working ear which followed  a Vertigo attack; at that point I was told I'd had one or more TIAs. About 4 years later I had what I thought was a Migraine when I could not move my right arm or leg for several minutes and felt sick but it passed and I was OK although I wrote it up for my GP as it was not a usual Migraine aura. Following a heart attack later and fitted with a stent, I then had a triple bypass and was one of 1-2% of folk who have a stroke when coming off the bypass machine. I'm left with right side weakness,foot drop, very poor balance and as a 24/7 lone carer of someone living with advanced dementia suffer exhaustion. Due to being in lockdown and unable to go out to exercise at all for so long my mobility has not improved and I fear I will not be returning to ballroom dancing too soon!

Not giving up and one day when I am able to have time to exercise as advised I hope to improve so I can go for walks again at least.

A bit like heart attacks in women which can be atypical, perhaps we don't recognise all the symptoms of TIA/Stroke to seek appropriate help at the right time.

So sorry, your case sounds so much like mine. I too had a stroke a year ago, but my husband too has dementia, it’s so hard isn’t it?

have you got Attendance Allowance? Don’t forget to grab all the help you can get.

Thanks for that I will go online and look for clinics in my area. Will let you know how I get on, thank you ice cool.

I had my stroke in August 2020, I am 52 considered myself a relatively fit Mum of 3 children, ride horses, garden, walk etc etc. I had a very sudden onset headache whilst doing some safeguarding training for a new job. Hearing went very peculiar, and generally felt as though I wasn't right. Continued with the hour long training, it was a lovely sunny day though maybe dehydrated.  After training had finished I suddenly felt very sick and was. Went home to bed with paracetamol.  Got up next day, and collapsed mid sentence late afternoon whilst working for a friend on a catering job. Thank god I was with people. Don't remember much, vague recollections of paramedics coming etc.  Mid pandemic, my partner couldn't come with me.  I was told after a CT that I had a bleed on the brain.. I was on my own in A&E still with my apron on.  I spent 13 days in hospital. I am much recovered thankfully, but still very difficult to come to terms with.  Still waiting for DSA to find out the actual cause.

My stroke was just over 2yrs ago. I was fine when I got up had breakfast and went in the shower. When I came out my right leg felt funny, couldn't think what was wrong. I lay on the bed until my husband came home as he was out with the dog. I said I needed to go somewhere as I couldn't weight bare on my right leg ,no other symptoms at all. It was a bleed on the brain and I was in hospital for a month and had physio at home for 6weeks. Left with a weakness in my right leg. Had balance exercises and was fine, but since lockdown my balance has got bad again. Still doing exercises but not making any difference at the moment, maybe need to do more, if anyone could advise that would be good. 

Yes, am a 48 year old nurse and thought I was having a stroke dec 2020. However due to my confusion it was Jan 21 & my discharge letter before I realized I had 2 subarachnoid hemorrhages & 1 inter cranial hemorrhage. My normally low BP doubled after contracting covid and medication didn't work. I was also diagnosed with reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome RCVS 

Hi 

Reading all the replies it soon brings back memories of what we go through in different ways moods, confidence, feelings crying, frustration etc. But I have been extremely lucky I keep pushing myself gently but committed and while I know and feel parts of my right hand and arm have slight sensations I can do most things. I had my TIA in 2017 I had at work starting about 6 months before TIA sensations in my right arm like I'd hit my funny bone it only lasted about 10 seconds and occasionally I visited the doctors who said it looks like I have a trapped nerve. Christmas Day on holiday breakfast back to room all ok the suddenly my right arm and side of my chest went numb, my wife check the FAST symptoms but I looked OK anyway back how into the doctors and then hops to find I had a 90% blockage in my neck so a  carotid endarterectomy on our NHS has given me more time and I'm going to try and enjoy my life as much as I can ?