Help please

Hi.

Since my stroke I seem to wake up at night joking because my throat has got dry I must sleep with my mouth open now.....never used to does anyone get this....have tried two pillows no luck as I slide down....anyone got any tips....Dolly

Hi Dolly,

I used to sleep flat with 1 thin pillow before the stroke but now I use a pillow and a v shaped pillow which seems to help. I don’t slide down with the v shaped pillow. I keep a small bottle of water on my bedside table in case I wake up thirsty in the night, which I sometimes do since the stroke.

I think the v shaped pillow is really for reading in bed but it’s really comfortable for sleeping as well.

Hope  this helps.

Ann

I agree with Ann. I use two pillows to make sure my head is elevated and always have a glass of water by the bed. If not too cold, I have a window slightly open all night. On warm summer nights I have a large. Fan on all night.

Reading your reply John I remembered I have the bedroom window open all year now - the exact opposite to before the stroke.

Ann

Dear Dolly

Me too. So dry, reminded me of my teenage days when I had had a night out.

I use three pillows. If a bad night, eg cant get to sleep, then I sit up to sleep.

I also take cetrizine which reduces the hay fever etc. This helps with breathing and I can often now  reduce pillows and sleep better.

I also have a tinnitus relaxer. This plays white noise overlaid with waves crashing on the beach (or rain/babbling brook etc). This is very good at getting me to sleep.

And the only "remedy" for the throat is water which I have at the bedside and sip.

It has the added delight of increasing bathroom visits in the night.

Once BP/heart rate is settled then adequate sleep is the most important thing to aid our recovery. What a fight I have had with this. But I now get my 7.5hrs most nights. And my recovery is edging forward nicely.

Sleep tight!

Colin

Hi Dolly - I've slept on my back since my 30's (now 67) I found that when I was expecting my daughter, it was too uncomfortable for me to sleep on side and I got used to sleeping on my back. I have never reverted back. Consequently, my mouth also drops when I'm asleep. I always drink lots of water through the day to stay hydrated and take a pint of water to bed to drink through the night. I'm usually up twice/three times during the night to the loo regardless so I have a good drink then.  I have just been put on some tablets that also dry up the mouth and I've found that if I chew sugar free minty gum when its at its worst, it stops this through the day. I don't normally chew gum but I keep a packet in my handbag just in case. Main thing is to keep hydrated as much as poss through the day to help through the night. Caffine and tea is dehydrating so avoid for a few hours before bedtime if you can. I only drink water through the day and have coffee when I go out. I don't like tea so water is my main drink.

Thank you all for your tips I will try the fan on all night cannot leave window open I live in a bungalow ....I always say if anyone wants to get in they will...I have window locks but still do not feel safe .....I miss my dog who died two years ago for this no one would get in with him here ....someone suggested a chin strap that snorers use it keeps your mouth shut (no jokes from you men on that one haha )yes I drink plenty  juice hate water....two pillows tried that keep sliding down....it does not happen all the time but when it does its a devil and being 86 is no fun....when you have had a stroke....I will let you know the outcome of a chin belt ....I don't want pills....many thanks again you are all great Bless you all ...Dolly

Dear Dolly

Could I venture to suggest that water really is important. I hate drinking the extra water, but I hate the stroke even more. I often drink sparkling water to ring the changes. This also gives me trace minerals and reduces the night cramps that I have had for many years.

Best wishes

Colin

Hello Colin, if you drink tonic water it contains a small amount of quinine which helps with night time cramps and muscle pains.

Ann.

Dear Ann

Yes indeed. I drank a lot of tonic water and it kept the cramp right down for years. However, sparkling water such as Pelligrino contains trace elements that also keep cramp down for me and the sparkling has little sugar whereas tonic, both types, contains plenty of saccarine and or sugar. I want to try to edge my sugar intake down.

But at the end of the day, tonic does work. Especially if mixed with gin or martini.

Colin

Was going to suggest a little gin wth the tonic water but didn’t want you to think I was a hard drinker, odd glass of wine maybe but that’s my limit. Hic.

Ann.

I too like a glass of wine. Or a beer. I like gin whisky and brandy, but since stroke they dont like me and are off the menu. Stroke has so many sundry efects, doesnt it

Yes you are so right. I also can’t drink very much, not that I was a big drinker, but my limit is 1 glass of wine now.  I used to drink mostly coffee during the day but now find tea is best for me, coffee tastes really strong and bitter. I guess it’s just another effect of stroke.

Ann.

OK I manage two glasses of wine but any more and I feel truly terrible. I drink more tea than before. You are right, I guess its just another effect of stroke. Isnt that odd...all these effects. So much of ourself is changed.

Best wishes

Colin

It’s not only coffee but other foods which I’ve eaten for years and enjoyed, suddenly I don’t like the taste of them anymore. Anything too spicy I can’t eat now and haven’t been able to eat since the stroke.  It does seem a bit odd. It’s just another effect of the stroke we have to get used to. Maybe someone will know why this happens.

Best wishes, hope you are keeping well Colin.

Ann.

Me too. We used to have a curry most weeks. Sometimes for the really good local take away and sometimes I cooked the curry. My only chef duties !

Now the slightest curry or spice hurts a lot. I miss the weekly curry. I had acid reflux and a hiatus hernia, all at the time of stroke. Could link to the spicy thing.

However, every cloud silver lining thing.... pre stroke I have been a right faddy eater with not much of an appetite. But the minute I awake after stroke I was very happy to eat. I loved the hospital meals. My appetite has improved a lot.

Colin

I seem to have a thing for sweet things so have to keep an eye on that. Chocolate is now my downfall, we’ve resorted to buying the thin Cadbury bars meant for children.

We go to our local Chinese restaurant at lunchtime every few weeks as my hubby loves their curry (and as he’s been unwell  recently I think why not), I can’t eat that now it’s much too spicy for me. Usually have chicken chow mein or sweet and sour, they see to be ok for me. Oh I might have a glass of wine with mine as well. 

Ann.