Hello

Hi I’m Helen I had

mine stroke three weeks ago I’m 49 I lost some sight and have aphasia I feel I’m getting better every day some days it’s so frustrating but I getting there,

Hello everyone, 

my name is Jason, I am 45 and live in Weston super mare. Last April, I suffered from a Posterior Stroke which  has left me with some mobility issues, as well as some memory problems, along with clinical depression and anxiety. As a result, my marriage ended and I moved away. In May of this year, I had a TIA. I’m still struggling with mobility and get frustrated trying to remember little things. I’m also getting frequent headaches with dizziness. Does anyone else get these? Also,my mother aged  41 passed away - I was 18 at the time- from a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage. Can strokes be hereditary?

Hi Helen 

I had a stroke 16 month ago ...left me with memory and speech problems

couldnt even remember my sons name...Im happy to say now im about  95% recovered 

its been a long job..the headaches the frustation ..being frightend of having another.

Above all Helen you have to keep positive ,just think all the advances youve made.Theyll

be bad days and good ones ...keep strong

Dennis

Hi Jason,Welcome to the forum. My understanding is that strokes are not hereditary, but there may be a greater danger if your close family have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Stroke does have a big emotional impact and depression after stroke is quite common. Fear of another stroke is common but these fears tend to ease with time.

I am sorry to hear of your marriage breakdown, but stroke can have an adverse impact on partners too. Headaches after stroke are also common. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Feel free to ask anything on this forum or just let off steam if you need to. Others will probably advise you about memory loss. I was fortunate not to have had my memory affected. I wish you all the best.

Hi Jason

Yeah I got memory issues too since, but can I ask, are you sleeping OK? I also have issues with sleep and my memory is absolutely worse when tired (aka shattered).

But over time it absolutely does improve, you get good and bad days. I learned to get organised, electronic diary, reminders etc. When I remember to look at it, its a huge help :)

You just need to get used to the new you - took me ages to learn that my arm and leg were MINE, not attached temporarily from someone else. Still feel weird, but less weird.

Good luck with the recovery - its a sod and it takes ages, but hey, we're still here!!!! Nothing else really matters.

Hiya Jason my name is Michael I am 66yrs old had a massive stroke on the 5/1/2019came so close to having surgery which is a scary thing at the best of times,but the medics brought my condition under control with the right medication at the time and I am still in the land of the living to tell the tale.in a few weeks me and my wife are going away on our first break to north wales one of our favourite locations.i live just outside of Wigan in the land of rugby league(wiganwarriors  we were due to go to Crete in August but had to cancel due to my condition  so sad but it was the best decision considering all things.keep up your  as things can only get better I suffer from chronic fatigue which is one of the side effects of my stroke my mobility issues are restricted as I can't walk too far and have to use a wheelchair speak to you soon mate .

Ps my memory is not too bad as I am able to do my on line banking cannot get through the day without having a nap in the afternoon due to the  fatigue which can be so taxing at times.

Hi There - My name is Vince and I feel a bit of a fraud when compared to what you all went through. I had atrial fibrillation for a number of years treated by a child's dose of aspirin per day. My stroke was 5 years ago (I had it when I was 63 and worked as a training consultant) and my wife noticed it straight away (thanks to the stroke advertising) and I was thrombolysed within 1 hour of getting to the hospital. I had dangerously high blood pressure and after the treatment, this went down quite rapidly. I had aphasia and could speak very little but my Speech Therapist was absolutely superb and I regained most of my speech after about a year. I still have memory lapses for very simple things and difficulty counting but luckily no bodily impairments.    

Nice post Vince. You are not a fraud. No two strokes are the same. If you have escaped the dreaded SF (post stroke tiredness) then thats really good.

I do hope you now have a good and settled life (Perhaps retired?).

We need lots more "Vinces" to just say what they have encountered. It balances up the whole.

Best wishes

Colin

Thankq so much for your positive words and I’m glad you’ve made 95% improvement so goes to show we can do it your right also I have days that are good then I get stressed and feel I’m going backwards but I just have to know this happen ?

Hi Helen,

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage 12 weeks ago. I'm 49 also. I've lost sight on the right hand side of my right eye not sure if it will improve but hey ho could've been a lot worse. Keep positive!

ObviouslyThanks for the reply it’s good to know I’m not alone in this journey ?

Hi  Vince your not a fraud at all every Symptom or change you have to deal with is such a big thing for you and only you what could be easy for someone could be totally devastating for another I thought my sight was bad enough first time but now my speech is difficult! And my job is customer services dealing with complaints and sometimes difficult people as sadley people aren’t going to ungerstand and I’m worried when I go back to work they will Assume I’ve lack of confidence because they won’t know 

Hi Carole,

Just came across your story and all I can say is wow you've been through so much! I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage in April this year and feel so incredibly lucky to not only have survived but to have no physical effects either. I have got a blind spot in my right eye but am getting used to that and don't know if it will improve but hey I'm alive!

Katy, you are indeed really lucky, and may you continue to progress!  THANK YOU very much indeed for your kind thoughts.  Really appreciate them.

Banged my head when I collapsed, so have double vision ONLY in my peripheral vision so, like you, have got used to it.  Simply turn my head and look now, instead of glancing!  Getting my flat decorated this week, so am hoping things are going to improve for me now haha!  Peace Carole smiley

Hi Colin - I have slight tiredness but nothing compared to some other people. I am now retired in my job as a Training Consultant because I require recall and the various stories to give examples to course attendees. But I have a good life and it continues. All the best Vince.

Hi There - I would hope that you would be given further training to reflect the problems you are going through. Perhaps replying to letters before moving on to dealing with people face to face - you could perhaps consider role play and perhaps consider previous letters where you could compare answers to those already given. I had to give up my job as a training consultant because it required recall and previous examples - is there anything else you could consider doing? - All the best Vince.

Thanks for all your positive messages and sharing your stories. Helps and means a lot. smiley