Going back for the first time

I’m going into work just as a catch up but I’m super nervous just about getting into the office!

Wish me luck!

10 Likes

That is super fantastic with bells on

Woop. Woop woooooo

Well done :slight_smile:

You’ve got this
Remember that your speech will likely be worse with the tension and nerves and that as you relax past them it will improve. Remember also that everybody else will be nervous about whether your fragile so are likely to nod and pretend they understood when they didn’t so you do yourself and them a favour if you tell them you must let me know when I am not speaking clearly .

A pack of post-it notes and a pen or an app on your phone that you can type what is not pronounced clearly may help them to start with

Well done you a very brave act but a necessary one on your journey into the future and back to work :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hope it goes well. :grinning:

5 Likes

Are you back home now?

Do tell us how I went :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good luck, hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you get on.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

Went really well! Saw people I hadn’t for ages and manager reassuring as ever!

7 Likes

So glad to hear it I hope it bolsters your confidence

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Glad your visit to the office went well. The first time is always nerve wracking but i found my colleagues were happy to see me & fell over themselves to do stuff for me.

3 Likes

A reassuring manager is 66% of the challenges made manageable

You’re on the path buddy :slight_smile:

Just take it easy and build up - don’t start running before you’re ready, there may be backwards steps still to come that should not upset you and be recognised as part of the bigger picture

yr getting to a good place - I bet Natalie is proud of you :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

That’s great :+1: So glad it went well for you.

Regards Sue

4 Likes

Glad it’s going well @garethc970. I have recently started back hope it’s not too tiring.

Steve

4 Likes

How is your start back going?

I ask partly from genuine interest, partly maybe to stimulate your own reflection on your observations that gives the potential for self-learning and partly because others have that same journey ahead and any sharing is helpful to all

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

I’m not quite back yet and go back in around 4 weeks.

Got a call with occupational health to contend with first.

I was a no good blubbering wreck was how I was

2 Likes

@garethc970 don’t rush back. My mind was a wreck and I couldn’t face seeing anyone at work and answering their questions so had the GP extend my sick line. Good luck when it comes around and take things easy.

Steve

1 Like

I remember my first day back to work a year after my stroke.
I was apprehensive and a little nervous but looking back it was a milestone on the way to recovery.
I am 90% of the person that I was before and now do a different role that enables me to work around the few disabilities that I have.
Good luck on your journey.

2 Likes

Small steps make for a long journey

Are we on for Wednesday 11 ?
Your choice :slight_smile:

Ciao

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh I appreciate your offer but I’m so busy with appointments this week so I’m just gonna try and bite the bullet and go for it

2 Likes

I assume go for it means go to the appointments and push through them rather than go for it means “yes I’ll see you on Wednesday at 11:00”

As I said to you last week there’s no pretending that your voice hasn’t been affected but that does not stop it being pretty clear for 90% of the time. Just tell people to ask for clarification when they need it and otherwise be purposeful and you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

Being out going to appointments is much better than sitting on zoom practising it anyway :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

Yes just go for it and get talking @SimonInEdinburgh

1 Like

Then ill save your seat at the Thursday cafe?