Getting up without use of hands

Hi Deann I’m still working at balancing on one leg . I’m getting better on the food leg but still very wobbly on bad leg. I’ll try it wx eyes closed to see if it makes a difference. Love to you Suzywong x

2 Likes

Hi emerald eyes I was going to start. One of these classes the day after I fell so badly. It’s been a month now and although still sore I’m going to try next week. Do you think it’s helped you? Love Suzywong

3 Likes

Thanks Bobbi I’ll remember this . I do practice going up on my toes. It was one of the first exercises I was given . Hope you are getting on well . Love Suzywong

4 Likes

@Suzywong Thank you, I wish you easy speedy progress too. I 'm sure you get out what you put in. Trouble is I can be lazy with little motivation. In other words I do enjoy regular ‘rest’ periods. There is improvement but at a gentle pace.

1 Like

@Suzywong Oh yes, the Strength & Balance class has helped me tremendously, in a number of ways and for a number of reasons. I suppose the number one reason is that age and ability don’t matter; you don’t feel the need to keep up with everyone else, you go at your own pace! It’s run by AgeUK for the over 50’s so the peoples abilities there range from those who just seek a bit of physical exercise at pace more suited to our age range with a mind to their future abilities; to those with more serious balance issues, heart issues, physical disabilities resulting from strokes and the likes, arthritis, etc etc etc. So there’s no competition, we are more inclined to encourage and spur each other on, there’s good camaraderie. It’s a good motivator too, @Bobbi :wink: seeing what other’s are achieving spurs you on, to never give up. :smile:

They do also do more than one class a week, unfortunately for me Monday was the only one that fits in with my schedule. So if you can get to more than just one in your area I would suggest you take full advantage. For me I find classes are more motivational than just relying on myself to do them at home, as I can find a million and one other things that need doing around the house. Although that is all good exercise too, it may not always reach the parts that need to most attention :wink:

Depending on your physical abilities, all exercises can either be done sat in a chair or standing up, no one is ever left out. Even during laps around the hall, those who can’t, do seated leg marching or whatever it takes to get their legs moving. The instructor will always find you a suitable alternative exercise to do for any one you can’t manage. And no two weeks are ever the same, our instructor is always switching things up to keep us on our toes.

This is a sampling of some of the things they do in class. It was actually given out to do at home before the Christmas break last December.

The instructor also set up a WhatsApp group for us which has been useful for all sorts of notifications and if you can’t make a class. Also turned out useful for some who couldn’t make it to class because they didn’t have a ride, so someone else in the class offered to pick them up, so now car pooling has taken off :smile: This in turn has developed the more social aspect to the class, which for some has been a godsend.

So in all it’s not just another mundane exercise/rehab class. It’s looking after the whole essence of you, both mind and body, and looking out for each other.

In yesterday’s class I managed to stand on one leg beautifully for a whole minute each side. Could even tuck my hands around my knee and sway and look around as I did so. I was over the moon with myself and so were the others. Then later in the evening I tried to demonstrate to my daughter and wasn’t half as a good, and when balancing on my right stroke leg I kept on listing to the right off balance. Just couldn’t keep it centred. Then I realised it was because I was doing it in bare feet, whereas, at the class I’m in trainers :sweat_smile:

And that’s the importance of having good fitting footwear when you are out and about. No loose fitting footwear or shoes that have your feet sliding front to back or side to side in the soles. If they’re old and floppy get rid, no high heels, sling backs, flip flops or floppy slippers even, get rid of them. If you have any sort of balance issues or any other risks of falls then insubstantial footwear will be your downfall particularly when navigating stairs.

2 Likes

Hi emerald eyes. Yes it’s true you don’t spend enough time doing individual exercises and like you I’m far more motivated when I’m with others so I’ll deffo go to the class and then see if there’s others I can get to. Thanks for that chart I’ll try those out. Thanks for all your advice. It all helps when you no longer have physio input and you are more or less left alone.once I’ve been to the class I’ll let you know how it went. Love Suzywong x

1 Like

I am so proud of your progress! wobbly will stop soon is my bet. Between getting stronger, finding that center of balance an your determination, it will happen, likely soon!

1 Like

You truly inspire me to want to do more. Thank you for that and for being a lovely person.

1 Like

Oh deann what a lovely thing to say when we havnt even met.I feel like I know some people on this forum so well. it would be lovely to talk face to face at some time. I will keep on trying to get back to me, or somewhere near the old me. When I go walking I always say every day in every way I’m getting better and better. I don’t want to look back, only forward and talking on this forum really helps. Thanks for always being there each and everyone of you who have spent the time to write to me! You are all fantastic and real inspirations . Bless you all xxx lots of love and hugs suzywong xxx

4 Likes

I finally decided I don’t want to be the old me, anymore, but something new and much more focused on the things that are truly important…family, friends, spreading love and goodness everywhere I can. The new me is leaving all those stressors behind. I used to think stress meant I wasn’t working hard enough or smart enough to solve the problem. Now I think of it more as a warning to quit bothering with it. If it is important, it probably shouldn’t cause so much worry and stress. I may be wrong, but I’m going to keep trying it and see. I am not stressing over the friends I have lost due to my strokes…I think of them fondly as acquaintences I wish only the best for and will share a hug with if I see them again. If I feel stressed by a date, he is not right for me, if the housework isn’t done, I will try again tomorrow, but anyone who cares about me is not going to be upset there are dishes piled in the sink or the bed is not made. True friends might even help me get it done, if I will let them. You likely get the idea. Stress might have been one of the biggest reasons many of us are here to begin with…just a theory.

I love who you are right now. You are making a difference in other people’s lives and you are working to make your own better for you. That makes you amazing. I really do appreciate you.

3 Likes

@Suzywong another class Age UK run in my area is Tai Chi, another popular one with the members of my S&B class. I tried it for a time but my balance and coordination were just too far off for it at the time tried it. Haven’t tried since as I’ve enough to do with all my other rehab/fitness classes.

Thank you @DeAnn, you are always so encouraging and enthusiastic :hugs:
My journey has only been half as long or as arduous as yours and many of the other stroke warriors on this forum. But it’s still an example of what we can achieve, it gives hope to others to never give up. Yes it’s taken me over 2½ to get to this point and there’s still work to done, but if I were to have given up after the first six months and accept my lot, I’d still be struggling to get out of my chair. So lets keep on fighting the good fight :smile:

1 Like

Dear Deann everything you say is so true. I’m lucky that I have such a supportive and helpful family.I’m the same as you in that I try to do what I can but if things don’t get done I’ll do them another time. I agree that stress is a thing we don’t need or want and it doesn’t help any situation. As you say loving people is far more important and helping others . I’m definitely going to be volunteering forcthosex1 to1 phone calls when I can . Hopefully I can share wx others and give them hope . Love suZywongx

2 Likes

@DeAnn i agree a lot with what you say. The new me might not have been what I would have chosen for myself pre stroke but in the main I have come to accept the new me & all the differences that has bought me. A slower pace of life is definitely welcome, appreciating friends & family more, not worrying about housework etc are all a good thing that came as a result of my stroke. I still hate having to rely on others but i’m not afraid to ask for help now.

And of course “meeting” a you wonderful people is a definite bonus.

3 Likes

On the Tai chi front the following from different strokes maybe of interest .
I haven’t looked at it, I’m sure yesterday I saw that the was a new initiative around Tai chi from them but when I searched all I turned up was this

Which is 3 years old but no less relevant

2 Likes

Hi Simon thanks fr the link . I’ll watch it today . Regards suzy x

1 Like

Hi emerald eyes I started those strength and balance classes this week. I went to two and really enjoyed them. I spoke to people who had been going quite some time and they all said their balance and stamina had improved so I’m hoping that in a few months I too will notice a difference. Thanks for suggesting them love Suzywong x

3 Likes

Hooray! Getting a workout, balance help AND having fun? Can’t beat that!

1 Like

Hi Deann hope this finds you getting better each day . Yes classes were good although I aches the day after! People said it must be doing something if I was aching. See what happens this next week x

3 Likes

Oh gosh, I am so pleased and exited for you, I promise, you will notice a difference in time, of that I’m sure providing you can also set aside time at home to do the exercises between classes :wink: Well done you :clap: :clap: :clap: :people_hugging:

The more you do the easier it gets; if you limit yourself to only the class once a week, then you’re likely to ache the following day of each week. But even if you only manage one or two exercise at home each day, that help ease the aches enormously.

1 Like

Thanks for the thumbs up emerald eyes. Without you I wouldn’t have looked into these classes but I must try to do them at home as well. Off to my Tuesday class today and looking forward to it even though my bad right arm is hurting. Hope you are still benefiting too x

2 Likes