First walk

Hi ,today is a very sad day we had to have our nearly 12 year old Labrador put to sleep just after midnight ...I feel so emotional ,me and my partner went for our walk in the woods but miss her so much ...that's good you managed to see friends and walk rest up today x

So sorry to hear this. I have cats. I don't think people understand how devastating loosing a long loved pet in is unless they have been through it!

You must have been lucky to get a dry spell to walk today. It really wet and windy here today.

I have only managed some indoor exercise today. A bit of cooking and cleaning and plenty of resting!

Have a good evening.

Hi Pippy - very sorry to read this and to hear of your loss. I've not had any pets myself but know they become part of the family...and losing them is very hard

Yes we are in Southend on sea it's been dry all-day ,I don't think some people do realise about our loved pets they are one of the family ,as the day has gone on the pain of not having our girl around is horrendous,I've been over doing it to keep my mind busy but it's getting to the end of the day and I'm shattered.. ..hope you have a restful evening take care ,x

Thankyou ,yes my girl played a big part in my life was with me through my mum and dad's deaths and also divorce ,she ment the world to me ,I have such loverly memories with her 

Morning hope your ok ,went for another walk in the woods this morning was very blowy lastnight so a few branches were down ,got OT coming today take care  pippy

The pet issue is very interesting.  My husband absolutely adores dogs, he grew up with a very tolerant labrador, frequently standing on her head, as a toddler,  when he needed a bit of extra height to reach forbidden items!!  Over the years he's had seven dogs, then in August 2017 suffered the stroke.  Shortly afterwards, we found an inoperable lump on his beloved dog - he refused the vet's suggestion to have him on steroids for a week or so, to take him home to say goodbye.  He decided right there, not to let the dog suffer at all, and had him put to sleep.  Now, given how emotional most people feel after a stroke, I was anticipating absolutely floods of tears, and extreme grief.   However, he was strangely pragmatic about the whole situation, hardly shed a tear, and gave away all the dog paraphernalia to a charity.  

I know inwardly he was devastated, but somehow concealed this and carried on as though nothing had really happened - it was all very odd.  I braced myself for the eventual fall-out which never came!  Now 3 and a half years on, he's recently bought a puppy - the relentless challenges of looking after a puppy have taken their toll, and he's exhausted the whole time, but he's quite besotted with the scruffy canine, and hopefully his general well-being will benefit from this addition to his life!!  

As for my well-being ... ?‍♀️ ?‍♀️  ? ? ?  I'm more of a goldfish person!!!

Enjoy your furry friends everyone xxx

Had a very lazy morning - sorted out yet another cupboard! 

Did a little archery this afternoon. Didn't feel as wobbly and tired as previous week's.

Still a bit wet and miserable here but I think the rest of the week is going to be a bit better!

Feeling a bit down today but actually getting out and doing some archery has made me feel more positive.

Have a good evening ?

Wow archery ,never tryed it but looks so hard ,my son came and got me today and took me to his ,he bought a baby bunny yesterday for the children ,such a cute lil thing ,but was good to get out as the house seems so empty without my dog ...OT came out today next week she's making me get out to the shop which down the bottom of our road I've walked it with my partner but she's going to walk behind me so I have to do it on my own ...tomorrow I have the stroke nurse coming out to see me it's the first time I would have seen her,I'm 3 weeks post stroke today seems. so much longer,the weather here today has been a mixed bag of weather we have had winds,rain,hailstones,sun really weird ....Glad you have had a good day today and clearly getting out has helped you lots ,enjoy your evening ..pippy

Hi Pippy, glad to hear that you are doing ok.  I am in Norfolk, near Sandringham.  Funnily enough I was born near Wickford in Essex.  Norfolk has had a dreadful wet and windy bank holiday Monday.  We did get to see our daughter & grandchildren for a BBQ on Sunday, which was lovely.  I have my second Covid jab tommorow, and am looking forward to going to see our Son & his wife and our granddaughter who live in Fareham at the end of the month, its been such a long time since we have seen them.  I hope you continue to improve. Wendy

Hi Wendy - it's a small world, I live in north Norfolk near Cromer, and I'm originally from Gosport which is Fareham's neighbour, so a hello from me ?‍♀️ My mother still lives in Gosport, so I travel down quite regularly to visit her - I love the coast down there, especially Stokes Bay which has so many childhood memories for me!!

Good to read your words of encouragement and support for others who are struggling - it always sounds better when coming from a stroke survivor ?

Very best wishes to you and your family xx 

Hi Nicabella - My husband's family hail from Sheringham.  His Great Auntie lived in Runton.  We love it down there and have been many times to my late Mum-in-law and Father-in law's caravan which was at the top of the cliffs just coming out of Cromer.  In fact both of their ashes were scattered in the sea just below the cliffs where their caravan was which they had for donkey's years!

Ah Brenda that's lovely, how funny it is that there are all these geographical connections!!  Sheringham has an ice-cream shop which serves the most amazing Christmas Pudding flavoured ice-cream - a friend drives all the way from Gosport a couple of times a year, just to buy an ice-cream!!  I know the caravan site you're referring to very well indeed, stunning views of the vessels travelling in the North Sea ?.  The school I taught at (for 36 years) was perched on top of the cliffs just east of Cromer, and I never missed an opportunity to do some outdoor learning up on the clifftop, no matter what the weather !!

My apologies to everyone else, this is nothing to do with stroke ?, but I'm sure many of us have lots of similar connections ... maybe we could start a separate thread!!!

Thank you all for your tolerance ??

Well done Pippy. What a range of emotions you must have felt. I am exactly the same. I feel so proud of myself with each milestone I reach. 

Thankyou puzzy,I've had a walk this morning just to the end of the road ,it's raining but had to do it ,I was with someone ,not quite brave enough just to take myself off ,without OTwalking behind me or waiting at the end for me ,how long have you been post stroke ....like I said it's raining here and changed my mood.feeling bit down but guess everyday can't be good ...hope your day is going well ...and you should be so proud of yourself with each thing you achieve,how ever small or big it is ...pippy ..

Hi Mike ...loverly picture and perfect quote ...pippy...

Well done, that is great news.

I am fortunate my stroke did not really stop me from walking, and to accept I needed a walking stick. Though took me a while to increase both pace and distance, dreaded going to town. Indeed walking in the woods was quite a challenge for me also.

Again well done

Jem

Hi thankyou jem,when I first had the stroke I had to Palm to Palm with 2 physios,but amazed walking is fine I wobble a bit now and again ,I actually drove today which was an amazing milestone,my partner sat next to me for my confidence ,but after about 10 mins I was back to my normal driving I had my new glasses on which were brilliant ,so drove to garden centre ,along the coast and home again ,feel like I'm getting my old self back but I know tomorrow could be the opposite,and I'm an emotional wrek,my eyes are aching now think it's the concertration done some gardening too but feeling  so tired ...I don't think I will go out walking on my own ,saying that I'm going to try next week if my anxiety lets me ,hope your having a good day,well done going into town ...pippy..

Hi Pippy, Thanks for you message sorry so long before I replied. Encouraging news about you driving and off to a garden centre I understand your fears 'tomorrow could be the opposite'

I hope you have had a chance to venture out to drive out again and again. Walking with someone is not a bad idea, I still daily walk with my partner, balance is a problem for me. We have a nice coffee shop and craft centre at the other end of our village so it is nice to walk to then back again after our coffee and tea cakes.

As I can and not allowed to drive due to medication of a former injury let alone a stroke I have actually been to town again only yesterday walked for cofffee and along the prom then some shopping really was too much and very tired stress! so many people though lovely to see my partners daughter and the young grandchildren.

I trust you have had the chance to venture out strengthen your driving skills

Take care

Jem