First walk

I split my day into 1 to 2 hour slot. Then rest.

I start the day with a bath and lots of leg and arm massage. Get dressed and breakfast.

Rest

I then plan/prepare my food for the day incase I am too tired later on

Rest

Lunch TV

In the afternoon I plan my main exercise. Usually a walk and some exercise in the house. I am lucky enough to have been involved with the local archery club and a local gym before my stroke. I am now arranging short sessions of these - I need help to do this and can't drive yet so it is dependent on someone taking me.

I am a bit of a crafter so do a bit of that but lately I have been colouring/painting those doodle books. Relaxing

I do puzzles,crosswords, catch up on TV, listen to audio books.

Evening meal

The evenings just tend to do tidying up and TV!

I know this may seem a lot but I don't do all these each day. I spend a lot of time resting.

I have started typing my thoughts, experiences since having a stroke. This is to help the movement of my left hand. It reminds me of my improvements and it also seems to help with the anxiety. I don't expect anyone to read it.

I have also done a lot of sorting out, cupboards, draws, clothes I never wear! Very therapeutic.

I spend a lot of time resting and trying not to be too anxious!

Sounds like you have it all planned out ,I'm still worrying am I doing too much / not enough ..I've got gp phoning me today I hope he has some answers about the stroke for me I've written a list down so I won't forget to ask him ,I'm going to set myself a plan like you have done thank you 

Pippy 

I did too much last week and ended up doing not very much on Sunday and Monday. Still trying to get the balance right. 

The problem I find is too much rest during the day means issues with sleeping. I can usually get to sleep but find I am awake by 4 or 5 in the morning - it doesn't help it is now light at this point. Audiobooks and meditation music is helpful at this point 

I am only 8 weeks from my stroke. It was a bit touch and go (I think) with the clot having to be removed.

Considering I had quite a serious stroke I am told my recovery is going really well. I spoke to the lady from the stroke society this morning and she reminded me that no matter where you are in your stroke recovery whether it is going well or you are struggling a bit more. A stroke is a major thing for all of us. We need to take the time to look after ourselves, rest, give ourselves time to mend. We all need to be determined. We need to keep going one day at a time.

Wish you well on your recovery mine they say is a poci stroke ,then reading my discharge letter it says lucunar infarct ,so not too sure but heading into my third week ,I feel like I've been left a bit without any follow ups ,maybe I will get follow ups a bit further into progress 

Pippy

Yes the balance is the hardest thing I too listen to audio books I find them really easy to concentrate on and such a variety of stories ,I always try to listen to something upbeat 

Pippy 

BBC Sounds have lots of interesting podcasts and some audio books.

I in North West England. I am 8 weeks from my stroke tomorrow. I spent just over 2 weeks in hospital. When I got home I have had 5 weeks of visits from the occupational therapist, a visit from a speach therapist and a couple of visits from a therapist who worked in the issues around fatigue. They are all from a community team but have now signed me off. I can contact the if I need help. I have been referred to mind matters who have been in touch and I have my first session arranged at the end of May.

The stroke society have been in touch a couple of times to see how I am getting on. They are arranging a volunteer to speak to for support but that also has not started.

I have had an appointment for heart monitoring but have not had any results. Not had a date for my follow up appointment which was promised with in 6-8 weeks from discharge from hospital so should be soon.

Not much contact with GP - only for sick note.

Not sure what on going support I will get? This is one of the things I get anxious about.

Ongoing support?? Sorry but the harsh reality is - none. That's why forums like this are so good. You can get advice/support from others who truyly understand what you're going through.

Hi just after talking to you about no follow up I've had a call from the stroke nurse she is coming out to me next week ,and also the 0T is a day before stroke nurse ,which is good as I have so many questions for her ...my GP appointment today went ok he said I should hear from the hospital after 6 weeks I will need to get RTest results gp said they weren't back yet I can't see how as everything is electronic ....he signed me off for a month ,for now but I definitely am not going to rush back .you should still get some support can't just stop ...also I'm being referred to a phycologist for my anxiety ,so turned out ok ,a positive wow I have a positive x pippy

Your so right Pamela, I had my stroke 11 January, and no support and still waiting  on heart tests now, and am going  back  to work may 11,I wish you well,kind regards  Shaun, also your right  this site  has  really helped me ,the people  are  fantastic  and helpful, like you  say  nobody understands  unless they've had a stroke  too,best wishes 

Jane, I was advised to rest for no more than an hour and not to go into a deep sleep. I try to pace all tasks, but can still overdo it at times. I usually go to bed at 11pm and play Classic FM for several minutes. I must confess to a nightcap before bed.

It's just getting the balance right.

For the last 10 to 15 years I've been up at 6am, a full days work as a teacher, then in bed by 9pm.

I am now trying delay my getting up by a couple of hours and going to bed by the same (so my day is a bit more normal) and fits in with my partner a bit better.

Goodness knows what I will do if I ever get back to work!

I've been surprised at the initial support I have had. Now coming up to 8 weeks it does seem to be disappearing. 

Not had my follow up appointment at the stroke clinic but that should be in the next couple of weeks. 

I am not usually one for on line chats but I can see why a site like this is a good place to ask questions, get reassurance etc.

Also, speaking to the lady from the strokes society this morning, she reminded me that face to face activities and groups run by  local stroke groups, and other groups like headway will be starting again if things with the pandemic keep improving.

Hi Jane - I also was advised not to go into a deep sleep and rest no longer than 45mins to an hour.  

When I worked full time, I was up at 5.30am every week day. I have been retired now for 15 yrs and still wake up at 6.00am.  I don't mind though as I am very much a morning person. My husband is up at 4.30am as he works shifts and finds it impossible to sleep past that time on a weekend.  Both of us a regularly in bed by 9.00pm and sleep well.  I think it is a case of what best works for you.

That's good your getting support ,and good that stroke  groups will hopefully be able to meet up....not had a very good day again today,I'm struggling to except what's happened to me and feel bitter ,hope you have had a good day 

Pippy

Sorry you've not had a good day. I try to not be upset/angry/ worry too much about having a stroke. It has happened, I can't undo it. I feel that my energy (including being anxious) needs to be focused on the future in a positive way. I am not saying this is easy but I am try to look forward not back. 

I am 8 weeks today from having my stroke. I can say the good days are getting more.

Today I have not done very much. Actually slept a lot. 

Found the film local hero in TV but slept through most of it. 

Had to stop writing this to watch some hedgehogs ? in the garden!

Have a goodnight. I hope you sleep well.

Tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow will be a good day. Enjoy the sun ☀️ I believe Monday is going wet and windy. Thats bank holidays for you.

Thankyou for positive words ,I'm hoping today is a better one,hedgehogs wow I've not seen one for years ...have you got many that visit ,we have squirrels that visit and eat the food from the bird table ,they are so cheeky !yes it morning and I can hear the birds all singing outside which is a loverly sound .it's my daughter's birthday today and grandson so hoping I can get my partner to take me to see them after his finished work ,thankyou for being there it does help have a loverly bank holiday ....pippy 

Being positive helps recovery. 
i kept a diary and it does seem that good days and bad days alternate. I wrote that i was happy to have a bad day as i could look forward to good day next.

your instinct will insist that it didnt like the stroke. That you should run away. Hence we get an extra portion of stress and anxiety.

Stroking lasts a  few hours or less. The medics will be far too busy ensuring you stay alive. When the stroking stops, they dont have much evidence as to what has happened. 
then the medics will not dwell on the past, they will try to tell you how to steer clear of another one. Better diet, better rest and a chemist shop of tablets will prevent a repitition. Get past four weeks and you should be much less likely to have another stroke.

Best wishes

old timer colin

Just checking in to see if today has been better?

I had a good walk today and spoke to some friends tha

had not seen for months. It was good but out of the house and on my feet for nearly an hour has left me very fatigued this evening.