First stroke age 47yrs

Hi, My husband aged 47 had a stroke 10 days ago, we have just returned home.  It has trurned our world upside down - would like to chat to people who have been in our position.

Thanks fiona

Hi Fiona. Firstly, so sorry to hear about your husband. You do not say how the stroke has affected him, but as he is 47, he stands a better chance of making a reasonable recovery. I am 74 and two years post stroke. Immediately after my stroke, I thought my life was over and I felt as if I might die at any moment. Then I recovered my willpower and learnt to walk again, firstly with a Zimmer frame, then with a stick. Once home, I gradually increased the distance I walked and started to cook and bake again, always breaking tasks down into manageable trunks. I did get, and still have post stroke fatigue, but I have a reasonable life and am still recovering. Good luck to you both.

Really sorry to hear about your husband's stroke Fiona, it is clearly a very distressing time for you all. Is he receiving the right support and therapy? You can look to see if there is a stroke support group in your area, which both you and your husband can visit to speak to other people affected by stroke - https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-support

Take care

Vicki smiley

Hi Fiona, sorry to hear about your husbands stroke. I too am 47 and I had the shock of suffering a stroke on 23/10/17... It was also a shock for my wife and sons aged 17 and 20 as I am fit and a non smoker and very seldom drink. I had a large clot which caused a stroke to my right side cerebellum. I suffered and still am suffering from terrible fatigue. I spoke openly to my family about my symptoms, fears and emotions... I can advise that its wise for your husband to be kind to himself, listen to his body and rest as often as required... The stroke causes a brain injury and rest is the brain and body's way of healing... Its hard for my wife and others to know just how I am feeling, the dizziness, headaches, fatigue and emotions are all hidden. Its difficult for the whole family but stay positive, things do get better... Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. Darren.

Hi Fiona, sorry to hear about your husbands stroke. I too am 47 and I had the shock of suffering a stroke on 23/10/17... It was also a shock for my wife and sons aged 17 and 20 as I am fit and a non smoker and very seldom drink. I had a large clot which caused a stroke to my right side cerebellum. I suffered and still am suffering from terrible fatigue. I spoke openly to my family about my symptoms, fears and emotions... I can advise that its wise for your husband to be kind to himself, listen to his body and rest as often as required... The stroke causes a brain injury and rest is the brain and body's way of healing... Its hard for my wife and others to know just how I am feeling, the dizziness, headaches, fatigue and emotions are all hidden. Its difficult for the whole family but stay positive, things do get better... Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. Darren

hi i had a stroke at 55 i was in hospital for 6 weeks lost the use of my left arm and leg but now have got them back it did take a few months i still walk with a limp and get tried at night and do get fatigued when doing physical work but i have had to change the ways i do things but can do most things but you have to remain positive and never said never and listen to your body plan your day and try to do things in small sessions and have rest periods in between best of luck and be positive never give up   

Thankyou Darren, Dave is making good steady progress but yes fatigue major part of recovery, dave had clot on left side of brain so affected R side. Mobility very good, eyesight still blurred, short term memory & speech fluctuate daily. Thanks for your support and good luck with your continued recovery. fiona

Thankyou

Thankyou  & yes we are receiving support

Hi Fiona, I am 45 years old, I fully understand. Everyone in the family is affected. I dont meet any risk factors for a Stroke, yet have TIAs and a full Stroke in January this year and now they are investigating the possibility of CADASIL.  My hubbie has been really supportive and my two young children dont really understand but we are muddling through. Fatigue is the hardest thing, plus everything on my right side doesnt work properly along with my speech. I have been told its a long road and I must admit I do see positive changes daily, even minor. The thing that bothers me alot though is when people see me in the street, they say I look so well! if only they knew the turmoil in my head and constant challenges I have to make. Unfortunately you cant see a Stroke, its not like having a broken arm.  Unfortunately I had a 'good day' and overdid it, then spent 4 days on the couch paying for it! My only advice is pace and rest...

Hi I am 45 now I had a stroke out of the blue last September when I was 44, in A&E as my blood pressure was so high, which caused my stroke they gave me a 50/50 chance of survival. I lost my left side completely, spent a month in hospital. I’m now loads better almost fully recovered, still have a slightly week left arm, back at work and driving. It does take time but you will improve. I do recommend a brain vitamin called  nurozan I’ve been on since I came out on hospital, no evidence that’s it’s done anything, but I am convinced it’s helped me. Also lots of phisotherapy is needed, NHS Phisios,  have been useless to me, I have used two private ones, had two hours every week since I came out of hospital, stopped them now, but get as much as you can. I haven’t really suffered with stroke fatigue that people do, My issue was not being able to sleep. Hope you continue to improve. Do you know what the cause of your stroke was?

Hi, well done for getting back to work, it sounds like you are battling through it all. I have problems with my thinking skills and concentration levels and spend most days battling fatigue.  Unfortunately not found the cause yet, I have been for blood tests for genetic abnormalities and results should be back around 8 weeks. I have been off work since mid January and hoping to return in September, fingers crossed.

hi i have this not sleeping problem how did you manage it

I had a stroke 2 years ago when I was 47. I agree that it is so annoying to be told that "you look so well", "you wouldn't know", "you are amazing"......... Yes some days I am mentally punching them but then some days I try to see it if the situation was reversed. I also have Crohns and the message they are trying to get across is that not all disabilities are visible. This would apply to a lot of stroke survivors.

I had my first stroke just after I turned 40 my second stroke was within a couple of months of it. I’m 2 yrs post stroke.

I was paralysed down my right side for approx a month, I couldn’t feed myself, shower etc... my husband was a fantastic support, however most symptoms are invisible and talking to someone close isn’t always easy in the early days. 

Has a stroke support worker visited. They were a great support to me and helped me access the stroke services. This is so important for recovery. Pyhsio, OT, speech and language. 

As survivors we can give you a helping hand with any concerns you have and how you might think he may be feeling. I felt angry, cheated and gave up for a while, however with my husbands help, ie, taught me how to write again, I couldn’t remember the alphabet and how to form letters, I wouldn’t have got this far! pushing is good but remember it also has to be at a pace your husband feels comfortable with, he will be struggling with acceptance of it all, the fatigue can take over, amongst other issues. 

Also age is on our side, 

i do hope you can access the services your entitled to, i had to fight a little for mine but was worth it 

If I was to give you advice I would say be patient this is a long journey and make sure you don’t wear yourself out 

I fully agree with you no one understands unless they have been threw it there selves ,it's left me with speech problems and spasms in face right side weakness and the tiredness as people we try and hide things that we hate ,but there always with us to remind us hate it when I get anxious and my talking goes ,or my leg gives way or carnt get the toilet quick enough but people never see these things j.

The fatigue is what gets me 1 day out 3 days to recover. I had my stroke 2 years ago and it's taken that time to come to terms with the change in your life. I miss the old me so much

Hi Fiona Im 51 and had an acute stroke last september.. I'm still recovering but see positive times ahead. My wife and daughter have been soooo supportive . if you or your hubby have any questions or want any pieces of positive advice please ask. My wife can answer something's from your perspective as well. This affects those around the SS as well. Any way take care stay positive and ask anything. Best wishes 

Chris ,51 male

Hi Fiona - so sorry to hear of your husband's stroke - this will indeed turn your world upside down, inside out, over, under and back again, BUT ....... don't despair, although this will be difficult, things will improve.  It is still very early days, 10 days is almost nothing in terms of stroke recovery.  Currently your husband will need masses of rest, this will allow his brain to heal and to find new ways of wiring around the area that has been damaged.  My husband suffered a stroke in August 2017, and I remember the early days as if they were yesterday - the shock of the event and diagnosis, and the unknown territory we were plunged into.  Thankfully I found this site, and benefitted from the wonderful people sharing their stories and experiences, their hopes, fears and anxieties, all of which enabled me to begin to put things into perspective, and gave me hope when days were dark.   

Just for now, encourage your husband to take as much rest as possible, sure he will need to carry out his exercises, but he will find them very tiring (although tiring is not the best word to use - he will experience a unique level of fatigue, which all SS seem to experience, so don't panic, it is not just him).  When he is resting, take the opportunity to rest yourself, you will need all your reserves of energy to support him.  Read the stories on this site, they will give you an insight into what to expect, and help you to know that you're not alone.  

17 months on from his stroke, my husband still experiences a significant amount of fatigue, particularly when he is busy with running his business, however he is able to do everything for himself in terms of personal care, eating, driving etc.  He can have 'wobbly' days and the occasional dark day, but has otherwise made a good recovery.  So don't give up hope, maybe keep a daily diary of his achievements, so that you will have a record to look back on, you'll be surprised.  

Take good care, keep posting and let us know how you both are - all good wishes xx

I would reiterate everything Nic has said. Keeping some sort of diary is very useful as you can both see when progress is being made however small. Celebrate them!! Read some of the stories on here, too. They gave John and me a lot of encouragement! 

Meantime look after yourself, too. Sooo important! 

Veronica and John ??