Field Vision Loss and Saying Hello

Hello all, I’ve been lurking on this forum for a little while, reading your stories and gaining strength and comfort from your supportive and positive posts. I thought it was about time I contributed!

I had a stroke a few weeks ago, in early February. I woke one morning to blurred vision effecting the right hand side. I felt fit and well - but having been persuaded to contact the Dr (a very persistent friend!) I was told to go to A&E (they suspected a detached retina) . Following various test and an MRI I was told that I had suffered a stroke (acute infarct of occipital and tiny infarct of thalamus).

I’m 47, have low blood pressure and regularly exercise - and like many stories on here I didn’t think a stroke was something that would happen to me!

I’m lucky, only my peripheral vision remains effected. I’m learning to adjust to the stone cold wall of fatigue that suddenly hits and rest when my body tells me too. Although admittedly this has been my biggest hurdle with 2 kids and a business to run.

Following a further vision test yesterday, I am still unable to drive - frustratingly the hospital were unable to tell me if my vision had improved at all as they didn’t have comparable test results- I’m looking at different options to improve my field vision (currently exploring a list of Aps and websites given by the eye clinic) and have an appointment for acupuncture… Any one had any success?

I contacted the stroke helpline today as I had a question about the DVLA and have felt like I have been going round in circles. They were fantastic. If anyone needs support, no matter how small (and they don’t find answers through the forum), the helpline is absolutely something to reach out on.

I’m still undergoing tests to understand why I’ve had a stroke. At the moment the best guess seems to be Familial HyperCholesterol - I take a whopping dose of statins and I’m also taking blood thinners. I still have wobbles now again - frustration, anger even something akin to grief - but I also have hope, determination and an acceptance of what will be. I hope that someone finds some comfort from my post as I have found in others. As I keep telling people, I’m not a stroke victim but a stroke survivor.

Wishing you all well on your recovery journey x

5 Likes

@Applewhite welcome to the forum. Good to read your experiences although sorry you had the stroke. I had visual impact with my stroke…all I could see initially was lines in front of my eyes, had blurred vision & all the writing on a page had shifted left. I was told because of visual issues I was unable to drive for 3 mths & had to be cleared by DVLA before I could drive again. I had a field test in Jan (requested by DVLA) & a medical exam with my GP early March. I’m still waiting to hear from DVLA. Getting very frustrated now. I don’t even know if I passed field test :confused: I hope that your vision continues to improve & you can drive again soon. I miss the independence that comes with driving. Good luck on your recovery journey.

1 Like

Hello @Mrs5K - it’s reassuring to hear that your sight improved! Did you have to take a driving assessment to be cleared or was it all medical assessments?
I’ve emailed a V1 form to the DVLA but wondering if I should also send the form in the post. Have tried to reach someone on their number but it disconnects after saying they are dealing with unprecedented call levels! x

@Mahoney thank you for the kind words - it really is appreciated x

@Loshy thanks for the words of encouragement! I’m looking forward to the acupuncture! Yes listening to your body can be hard but I’m learning not to fight it! x

1 Like

@Applewhite at the moment it has just been medical assessments. Until I hear from them I won’t know if I have to have a driving assessment.
I just notified them online about my stroke. I didn’t send them a form. It’s pretty impossible to ring them at the minute.

Thanks @Mrs5K thats helpful to know :blush: - hope you hear positive news from them soon.

1 Like

Shwmae @Applewhite, thanks for joining in. I don’t have any visual loss but have issues with my oculomotor reflexes, by all accounts, it’s not a well researched side of stroke compared to other physical issues when it comes to rehabilitation but luckily we can dip into other conditions that have visual disruption or impairment and scrump some of their rehabilitation techniques or aides for our benefit. They would have told you that the occipital lobe is the primary area for visual processing but it’s not the whole part of the brain involved in this, however, if it were acute, then a fair disruption is to be expected. The thalamus is sensory, I don’t know much about that. If it was minor, then it may not affect you that much. Every stroke is different, and I am no doctor, but from experience, if like me, you are faced with quite a hill to climb but improvement may happen. As with anything in life, one should soldier on. I recommend this article from Rochester University as a start … wider and further investigation is always recommended but as you will read, the worse your predicament, and the more you do to improve it, the more possible it is to make better before it settles in as a fact of life. I’ve had visual issues for well over a year now, and it drives me batty all the time, but I’ve got one life, albeit, a crappier one than I anticipated, however, that is now a subjective matter as I start to arrive at peace with myself and the stroke.

Thanks @Rups I’ve been reading a little about Neuro-Plasticity and the article you’ve shared is really interesting. Our brains truly are amazing things…! x

1 Like

https://forum.mystrokeguide.com/t/re-flying-things/28791

Hi @Applewhite , I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage (bleed on the brain) 3 years ago. I lost the peripheral vision in my right eye, after 18 months dealing with the DVLA I finally had a driving assessment and got my licence back last June! Good luck x

Thanks @katyB121 its good to hear that you’re able to drive again! Thanks for sharing - this gives me hope :blush:

1 Like

Hi, loved your post. I suffered the same kind of stroke in November - loss of vision right hand side (homonymous hemianopia) and I am unable to drive following advice from my second assessment by the optometrist. He was able to tell me there had been a slight improvement: the first test, I missed 45 lights RHS; the second test I missed 38. None really very encouraging as still a long way from being fit enough to drive. It’s really frustrating as I am sure I could drive far more safely than many road users you see.
I haven’t found the apps to be very helpful but do spend a lot of time moving my eyes to the right, particularly when outside, trying to peer through bushes, twigs, or following moving objects like birds or vehicles. My sense is that the ‘line between light and dark’ has not moved but the dark is becoming less opaque and I’m hoping that islands of the affected area will break through.
I do feel frustrated as I have always tried to see the beauty in everything and much of that has been diminished. However, like you, I feel it could have been a lot worse.
I keep very fit, have a healthy diet, and stick to guidelines on drinking alcohol. I resumed playing golf a couple of weeks after my stroke and play 2 or 3 times every week. This is supported by amazing friends who provide lifts to and from the course.
I don’t think I would have been able to play if the field loss had been left hand side.
I have stopped bumping into things and knocking over drinks and enjoy going out to dine with friends and family. I am able to carry out jobs in the garden and around the house.
Being able to make a contribution to household tasks makes a huge difference to me.
I hope you find this encouraging and that you will have some improvement. Time is a great healer.
PS, I found that no one would believe I had suffered a stroke as my eyes are 20 20 and move around as normal. They don’t realise that the problem is dead tissue in the brain itself. I was able to take a photograph of my CT scan during a visit to the stroke unit and have it on my phone. It sometimes come in handy as I can show people the infarction. However, most of the time I’d rather not talk about it and would rather people thought there is nothing wrong.

1 Like

Hi @Chopper thanks for your post it really is encouraging to hear you’ve had some improvement. I have to say I’ve found the apps/online eye training a little frustrating as they don’t seem to be targeting the right area. Good advise to make the most of the outdoors. I’ll take the dog out and incorporate some eye rolls! :wink:I also have a photo of my MRI on my phone and like you I have zero visible effects of the stroke.
Ive shown the image to close family and friends and think it’s helped me to help them understand what’s happened.
I’ve just found out a have a hole in my heart which again helps to answer the question “why” and it’s pretty common by all accounts. Thanks again for sharing your story - It sounds as though you’re doing really well x

Hi Applewhite

Sorry to hear about the hole in the heart, I was unaware that could be a contributing factor.

I have a Bassett hound which I walk, or run when he picks up the scent of dear.

He never catches them.

It gives me plenty of opportunities to peer through undergrowth.

I had my stroke 6 November so I am almost 6 months in and coming to the end of best chance of improvement.

However I’m going to maintain rehab exercises for the next 12 to 18 months and am determined to beet it.

I’m sure you are too.

Take care, x

Sent from my iPad

Hi @Chopper thanks for your post it really is encouraging to hear you’ve had some improvement. I have to say I’ve found the apps/online eye training a little frustrating as they don’t seem to be targeting the right area. Good advise to make the most of the outdoors. I’ll take the dog out and incorporate some eye rolls! :wink:20x20I also have a photo of my MRI on my phone and like you I have zero visible effects of the stroke.
Ive shown the image to close family and friends and think it’s helped me to help them understand what’s happened.
I’ve just found out a have a hole in my heart which again helps to answer the question “why” and it’s pretty common by all accounts. Thanks again for sharing your story - It sounds as though you’re doing really well x