Feeling a bit trapped

My wife is recoveing from a severe stroke that took place in mid-January. She has been home for just over a month now. She is right-side paralysed and so is in bed, although she is now being hoisted out into a chair every so often. We get plenty of support from our NHS physio/OT/speech team, and carers come four times a day for personal hygiene, etc. I do the rest: meals, laundry, general care, entertaining her as far as I can, listening out for anything at night (she was suffering from nightmare dreams, which thankfully seem to be passing), etc.

But I have a particular problem. My wife is very anxious about me leaving her side, even for five minutes. I can hardly even get out for a short walk or anything, let alone a shopping trip. Often she will call for me when I am a nearby room, doing something for her (I donā€™t have time to do anything for myself any more ā€¦) I do nip out sometimes when her therapists or carers are here, but other than than I am feeling pretty trapped.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips or ideas on how to tackle it?

@Chris_Baker my mum went through something similar when my dad was terminally ill. He didnā€™t like my mum being out of his sight. I used to go & sit with my dad somedays so mum could get out for a short time. Dad was always a bit uppity about it but we just told him that mum had stuff to do & sheā€™d be back soon. I always found it hard as dad would get a bit shirty at times but I knew it was the illness not him so would just suck it up & cry later. Do you have someone who could sit with her for a bit now and again? Itā€™s important that you have some time for you. Maybe explain to your wife that itā€™s important for you to have a bit of time for you else you wonā€™t be able to help her when she needs it or be able to spend some ā€œqualityā€ (not the right word but hopefully you know what I mean) time together.
Hope it all goes ok. Take care xx

Hi Chris. Sorry to hear about your situation. You have my sincere sympathy. I had a severe stroke three years ago. I donā€™t know what problems your wife has now. Could she use an iPad with her left hand? I am still unable to use my right side but I now manage with my left. I was right handed before my stroke. I gain lots of support and company from this site. I hope this may help. Lilian

Hi Chris. I can understand her anxiety, but you need space too. I am lucky because in the early days I insisted my partner had ā€˜me timeā€™. Do you have anyone who might sit with her while you are out? I wonder if you might benefit from any Carers group in your neighbourhood where people might have similar problems and issues?

Iā€™m male, suffered a similar stroke and know how much someone else can be useful or even essential at times.
My wife and I bought a cheapy second hand iPhone each off the Internet. Now we can be in different places but the other is only a Facetime call away. It does help.

Iā€™m afraid I was also stuck in my ways. It took something as drastic as a stroke to pursuade me to look at the smart phone. Iā€™m not pleased to have had a stroke but it has opened my eyes somewhat.

1 Like

@Chris_Baker, from a stroke survivorā€™s perspective, for the first three or four months, if my partner went out to the shops, I would feel very nervous being on my own. The reality for me was exposure therapy, she just went out and I was left on my tod to feel anxious. After some time, I gradually became confident on my own, and now look forward to when I have some time by myself. In the early months, I would like to know where my partner was, even which room. I would always keep an ear out for noise, and that would mean I could relax a little. Using a little mindfulness, like stepping stones can help. Tell her you are going to be away for five minutes, then as she becomes comfortable with this, tell her youā€™ll be away for ten minutes, and so on. About six months in, post stroke, my partner went and stayed with a friend over a weekend. I was a wreck, but the experience then allowed her to go away to London for four days! It was originally arranged that I would have a babysitter (friend) stay with me, but in the end I told her that I would rather try it alone. In time, hopefully, things will settle in this respect, but at the moment, I imagine fear and anxiety are conducting her lifestyle.