Feeling a bit deserted

I’m 18 months post stroke, I’ve no physical problems just brain ones, I had to give up work,it was a mutual agreement with the bosses, they were afraid I could have another one at work and I didn’t feel confident about going back,I worked as a pharmacy technician in a local chemist during the covid pandemic
I’ve been having six monthly blood tests, this has now been reduced to yearly ones, I’ve only seen a doctor face to face three times since my stroke it’s all been phone consultations and when my doctor asked to see me in person because I got in a state during her phone call, I fell apart in her room and she promptly said that the way I was going I was heading for another stroke and she increased my anxiety medication, I haven’t heard from her since, that was last year. I got my blood results back and they were all fine another doctor rang me about this and since then I feel as if now I’m left on my own, is it me or am I being silly to think that, my emotions seem to be all over the place plus now I have covid as well, I thought I might have had a phone call from the doctors to see how I am doing but no just a text to get a oxometer to check my oxygen levels, maybe I’m making a huge mountain out of this but I feel left to get on with it and I don’t know how, I’ve done neurological assessments and my anxiety is moderate and depression score is high, it might be the other way round I can’t remember. Sorry to rant I’m just feeling a bit low today….

3 Likes

Kenmore–Do they know what caused your stroke? If they found the cause, then you could take the necessary steps to avoid another one-- diet, exercise, medication, etc. Afib caused my stroke, and I am on medication for that. Doing something proactive to prevent another stroke has helped my frame of mind tremendously. Your blood results are fine, so that’s a step in the right direction. You have anxiety medication, but maybe you need something for depression. I saw a counselor a couple of times a month for a few months. If your doctor isn’t helping you, can you see another one? Now that the covid scare has “died down”, you can probably get in to actually *see a doctor. *Once you’ve done all you can for your health, the next step is to do some positive things with the life you have. I found some things that help to ease my depression are : to get outside in the fresh air and walk, or garden; get my mind off myself by trying to help someone else.; get back into life by being around people. I joined a ukulele class and bible study at my church–whatever your interest might be. I soon found by being around others, most everyone is dealing with some problem in life. We tried to help and encourage each other. I hope you’ll feel better soon . I’ll remember you tonight, Kenmore, in my prayers. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

Support after stroke is very limited. Even now, after six years, whenever I go to see my gp, stroke is never mentioned. I do have down days but I am fortunate enough to have a partner who gives me ‘tough love’ and says ‘stop feeling sorry for yourself’. I’m also hard on myself too and order myself to pull myself together and stop being so dramatic.

All my life I have been prone to self dramatisation but also have a steely underside. The effects of stroke in my case are unlikely to go away fully so ai make myself get on with things. I am lucky that I have this steely side. It must be hard to feel deserted and alone. I hope you are in better spirits soon.

I’m sorry to hear you are going through a bad patch @Kenmore, anxiety and mood swings can be part and parcel of the brain recovering too. It is often overlooked as we try and recover physically. If you need to talk to someone, Samaritans have a 24/7 line (free call). They can also be contacted via email and web chat. My surgery has a mental health GP who floats around several surgeries, it might be worth seeing if your surgery has one too. I was lucky enough to have a stroke consultant at my hospital who had consultations with me throughout my first year of recovery, and this forum is a trusty place for reaching out because we all care and we’re all in similar boats.

2 Likes

Thankyou all for your kind words, feeling better today, starting a new hobby, Quilling, I’ve ordered all the kit and it looks fun, not long after my stroke I started Macrame and loved it, I’ve made a few hanging baskets and a couple of owls, as long as I keep busy I’m okay, I’ve a lovely family support network around me, I still can’t do crowded places so my husband does all the food shopping
Some days I have to tell myself off for being so negative, and remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to walk and drive, not far mind you but I can do it

2 Likes

Every day is a school day as they say…never heard of quilling so just looked it up. Looks great.

1 Like

You had my interest Kenmore. I had to look up quilling like some others. ( I thught you meant quilting and maybe put in two " l’s" instead of " lt " :crazy_face:). Quilling ooks really good. What a fun thing to do.! I’m going to try to crochette hats for my grandkids. We’ll see how that goes. I want to find out about making hats for cancer patients. Not quite sure how to go about it. It’s good to keep busy. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

@axnr911 Making hats for cancer patients would be an amazing thing to do. I’m rubbish at sewing, knitting, crocheting etc so hats off :rofl: to you.

2 Likes

it would be a wonderful thing to do. I don’t think my knitting is up to making anything for humans so I’m trying a blanket (small squares knitted together) for rescue cats

3 Likes

Same. Need to keep occupied, otherwise brain gets into awful tangents. Never heard of quilling, looks intriguing, a bit like origami.

Fiona, I love this idea-- and I love cats! :grinning: :smiley_cat:Jeanne

1 Like

Finished the blanket. It is hideous but my cat seems to like it

3 Likes

Fiona–If it’s really hideous, I have to see it. Can you take a picture and upload it here–maybe with a cat on it? If not, I understand. What colors is it? :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Here it is - it’s made of scraps of wool so has washed particularly unevenly but I hope the cat will like it

1 Like

@FionaB1 it is not at all hideous. You’ve made a great job of it & I’m sure the cat will love it :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

I’m glad your cat likes this. Whenever, I put something down for my cat, it goes and sleeps or sits exactly where I don’t want to sit. It looks snug and homely, I’d take a nap on it. :grin: :+1:

Fiona- I think that is a very splendid catty blanket! Thanks for posting it. It’s very creative and cozy looking. Just what a kitty or doggy would like to snuggle on. :smiley_cat: :dog: Jeanne

Morning @FionaB1. Looks brilliant and very inviting - and I’m not a cat! Reusing, repurposing, upcycling it’s very satisfying :grin: Julia x

1 Like