Falls

I had a stroke which left me with weakness in my right arm and leg preventing me from standing unaided. (I am working on this and hope to make improvements over time.)
When I was on the stroke ward in hospital I asked my physio if it would be practical for me to transfer from bed to wheelchair and back to bed from wheelchair unaided and without the use of a return device. She proceeded to drill me in this very skill. It meant that I could get in and out of bed without needing to find staff to help me and it allowed me to move a little way along the path to independence. Incidentally it also put me in a position where I could get on and off a commode without help.
I was quite proud of my new achievement, and feeling the need asked for such a commode, insisting thhat I was perfectly able to manage the whole process without aid.
I slid from bed onto wheelchair without a hitch and positioned the commode on my strong side. I then successfully moved myself onto the commode. After a short while I realised I was not ready and so decided to transfer back onto my wheelchair, still at my side where I had left it.
Unfortunately as I later realised this was a bad move. I was attempting to transfer to my weak side. As I began the move from the commode my legs crumpled under me dumping me in an ungainly heap on the floor. The young nurse who witnessed this called for help and in a minute I was looking up from the floor at a circle of concerned faces.
A hoist was fetched and I was lifted in a sling and unceremoniously dumped back in bed. After a doctor had looked me and my bruises over he declared me still alive and said that it was likely as I progressed that spills of this sort would probably occur again.
The biggest bruise was to my pride but to be honest it was a small price to pay for a valuable lesson. I now know with the certainty of experience that moving to my strong side is good but anything to my weak side is likely to come unstuck.
Since that time the doctor has been proved right, there have been a few more ‘falls’, but each has been a learning experience.
Let it be known I do not seek out such ‘lessons’ but they have on occasions caught up with me.
I’m sure I’m not the only one to go through this. But if that is you I hope the damage is minimal and the lesson valuable.

3 Likes

@Bobbi I never had a fall in hospital but I did have to be rescued a couple of times when I thought I could go for a short “walk” to talk to the lady in the opposite bed. Resulted in me having to get tablets prescribed for the dizziness & nausea that resulted & having to spend the rest of the day in bed. Not sure I learnt the lesson though :grin: xx

@Bobbi afternoon Bobbi, thank you for sharing. I hope as you improve you can see a funny side as to laugh at one’s self is improvement. Well done on your determination. You have quite a character by the sounds of your posts. It’s a pleasure to read. Wishing you a a good recovery and best wishes Loraine :blush:

Hi @Bobbi sometimes we have to learn the hard way, pleased to hear there were staff on hand to rescue you :grinning: sometimes we simply forget we can’t do what we could before and little spills are the result, your determination and perseverance will be rewarded :+1:

Best wishes

Evening @Bobbi. Hello👋. Each step we take, whatever it takes, whatever we need to learn and adapt so it works for our circumstances is a step towards a freedom of independence that would never have occurred to us before things changed. But change they have, and our ability to accept and adapt is key and you seem to have gainly taken on already, very early in your stroke journey. It is great to hear a positive attitude, thank you👍 Julia

My first hours/days in hospital were not so positive.
I was terrified, did not know where I was or why. I was hallucinating and dreaming very strange dreams, unsure what was dream and what ‘reality’. I remember being sure I needed to escape and was certain I was being held against my will. I managed somehow to climb out of bed but was held back by a female nurse I was weak as a kitten and she controlled me easily as I demanded to be released. A couple of security men stood in the background, not needing to do anything. I don’t remember how this resolved but I was back in bed still alternating between dream and hallucination.
My next memories were of that horrible gloopy stuff in water, which was extremely difficult to swallow, then a pureed diet that just went on and on.
With a more normal diet came a more stable me. Then I suddenly projectile vomited, was diagnosed as norovirus and moved to a solitary room in isolation.

Isolation did come to an end, marking an upturn in the events that were making my world. I hope to progress to better things as I sit here at home contemplating my situation.

@Bobbi jeez Bobbi the things you did for a private room !! Tut ! Tut! I’m only joking I know that gloopy stuff is awful. You’ve already come along way. Keep going best regards and a hug :hugs: Loraine

All I can add is thanks to those in these forums and elsewhere who have spared a moment to encourage, sympathize and lend an ear. I am indebted to you. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

@Bobbi still lots of time to progress, those better times are hopefully just around the corner :grinning:

Thanks Mahoney. I am made of tough stuff. Over my lifetime life has thrown me a few problems to deal with. It has made me who I am. Often sympathy, support, good luck even has been in short supply. Here I am, who I am nevertheless. It is through adversity that we are put in a position where we can perceive that we do not suffer alone. Reaching out to another makes the world, which can be a selfish place, so much better. This is a valuable lesson we do not all learn, but just a few can make a big difference.
My apologies, sometimes I cannot help going out on a philosophical side track.
All the best to you.

2 Likes

@Bobbi no need to apologise for your philosophical side :+1: you’re a ‘cup half full’ personality, it’s much better to see the positives and joys rather than the doom and gloom.

Best wishes, take care