Energy Drain

Hello All.
For the first time since my Stroke in Feb 21 I decided to tackle a bit of hard work. From Feb until today I have done around 10000 steps, but little else. So o decided to drill out some old concrete but started and after 15 mins had to give up.
was worn out and basically slept for 2 hrs.
Tried again same result.
Have other Survivors out there found they cannot do rigorous activity that they could do previously.
As a link I have gained a little weight but now cannot work up the energy to increase my physical activity , again others out there getting this.
Thank you in advance

2 Likes

I also had a stroke in February. My progress has been very slow and I spend a lot of time resting.
I began to think I would never walk again, but recently found that I am able to take a few steps.
I don’t view the periods of inactivity in a negative light and am sure they are as necessary as exercise.
I will progress, I am certain and will continue to make efforts.
I have to admit I would like things to move along more quickly, but am beginning to realise I will need to be happy with steady improvement and need to be patient.
There isn’t a set speed for forward, but I don’t think you get to choose how quickly things happen.

Strength and stamina are sapped so you need to work gently and to rest appropriately. You know straight away when it is time to take a break and trying to force onwards regardless just doesn’t work.
I was one of those people who, if something needed to be completed, would find extra energy and power on. Those days are now behind me, I must respect my own limitations these days.

What is true for me might not be so for you, but I have had to find my own way to these conclusions, perhaps as time goes by you’ll begin to find your new self. I wish you all the best. This place is a good one to ask questions and state your case. You will meet with sympathy, friendship and the occasional nugget of useful advice.

5 Likes

. . . by the way, next time and I’m certain there will be a next time, you knock yourself over by doing too much, remember this . . .
You have the sympathy of everyone here, we all do it ! ! :upside_down_face:

make your rule : be kind to yourself

4 Likes

@Al59 I’m the same too. Can’t manage anywhere near as much as i used to. As @Mahoney says the days of being on the go all day are gone for now.
I am making steady improvements but if I try anything too strenuous it knocks me about for days. I Pace myself throughout the day and spread the load across a week now whereas I’d do it all in one go pre-stroke.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’m older than you but I find a limit to what I can do in a day. If I go beyond my limit I’m shattered. I couldn’t drill anything out if I tried.

1 Like

Hello
I too am the same, bee kind to yourself. also I find that little and often helps with heavy work like drilling. I am in the process of drilling out concrete posts in my front garden, ready to start laying a driveway have, no funds to pay someone so my husband and I are doing it ourselves. It’s a slow process, but i manage small amounts each day

1 Like

I too can’t manage anything like the exertion that I used to be able to. I’m frightully pleased with myself on days when I manage 10000 steps so don’t be hard on yourself if you regularly manage that. I recently started to paint our shed and had to give up 1/4 of the way through. Thankfully my lovely daughter lives nearby and managed to finish it for me - it looked so awful just 1/4 painted.

3 Likes

It is so different . the 10000 steps is reached by dogwalking at a slightly slower pace than I used to but is something.
I just realised instead of saying Today I will paint the shed I have changed to this week I will paint the shed. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi,I had my stroke September 2019 and still get very tired if I do too much. Things get done but at a slower pace so don’t push yourself too hard just remember you can do it tomorrow. Take care.

3 Likes

Sadly it’s not unusual to be limited in what you would like to do or indeed can do now. I had a stroke in august 2019 full left side face,voice,arm & leg.
I was back in the gym within 3 weeks trying to get back what I could aged 68 at the time. I am most of the way there but in the real world my balance is poor as is my eyesight so if I plan on doing something out of the ordinary I have to give it a lot of thought & plan what I need & where& how to place what I need as energy levels are limited now. Still trying though.
Good luck

2 Likes

Yes pacing yourself is key, approaching the two year mark but still cannot stop myself from overdoing it and suffer consequences. Have posted on here my egg timer is my best chum when I remember to take it with me and obey it. Can manage 20 minute bursts of activity, then set timer for same rest period. Was working full time aged 72 when zapped now I have to begrudgingly slow down. Not just physically but mentally, too long on my IPad and I have to take time out.

2 Likes

My own stroke was back in September 2018 and this sort of reduced energy capacity is one of the main impacts it’s had on me and seems to be here to stay. For me, it’s both physical and mental - I’m 40 and I work in a role that’s almost entirely desk/computer-based, but even just sitting at a computer with very little physical exercise, an 8 hour work day just feels longer than I can really make it through and stay useful/productive. Even four years on I’m still trying to learn where my limits seem to be, so I can try to have useful conversations with my employer about my needs and limits. It’s hard to know, because it’s very much the sort of thing that varies from day to day, and from person to person. I feel lucky to have come through my stroke as well as I have, but it has left a mark and it’s difficult to fully understand even for my own part what those changes are, let alone convey them clearly to others.

4 Likes

I had my stroke in May. It effected my right side, arm, leg, speech and swallowing. I’m having a very tired day and just reading your comments has made me realise it’s normal to feel as I am but it’s still hard to adjust. I’m 63 and my husband has to do everything now and I’m finding that hard too.
Well done everyone. It’s very hard

2 Likes

@Evie welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had a stroke. It’s so hard when you’ve previously been independent & then have to have help to do things we all took for granted. Fatigue is common after stroke. Listen to your body & rest when needed. I’m sure in time you’ll become more independent again. Best of luck for your recovery.

Ann x

3 Likes

Hi
Thankyou for your replies. Everything is such hard work from trying to have a conversation to taking a shower. I’m hopeful it will improve but it’s exhausting getting there.
X

2 Likes

I had my stroke may 2021. I could work then do DIY and feel ok now. I cannot do my job as a care worker due to fatguie. I can do about two hours if DIY or other tasks but then need to stop. My stroke team taught them that fatguie needs to be managed and to stop before we get tried . Ease to say hard to do but if we try to push on which I have done many times it’s make the fatguie worse. Fatguie is just part of the side effects of a stroke and it does not seem to matter what type of stroke or how bad it is . Just take u time with kind regards des

3 Likes

I had a silent stroke around June/July 2018. It never affected my arms or legs just my brain and I still get fatigued. I had to reduce my hours at work from full time to 30hrs. I only have an office sit down job as a secretary but the strokes given me dyslexia with executive function and processing issues so my brain tires quickly. Pacing is key - work a bit , rest a bit regularly through the day is best at keeping a balance. It’s also affected how much I can do physically without getting fatigued. I have to break housework and gardening into chunks and spread it over a day or week. The fatigue is my worst and most hated side effect from my stroke but at least if I pace I can live a full and normal life again. Not like before when I’d power through tiredness but I still get things done. And with time we can all manage a way to cope

4 Likes

Yes Debchicks you hit the nail on the head there, it’s all about pacing yourself which I still can’t crack coming up to 2 years post stroke, I’m up and down like yo-yo. Couple of days think I’ve done well then drained

2 Likes

It is hard to do pacing yourself, you rely on everyday being the same but any variation throws you off track and before you know it you need an afternoon nap. Like everything else with a stroke we have to roll with the punches and for most part I bet we all do fine and make it through every day with reasonable ease. - until the next fatigue bout then We start again. You have to admit having a trike keeps you on your toes!! Keep calm and stuff the stroke! X😁

2 Likes

Same. My stroke was in 2019. I have managed to return to work, 22.5 hours per week and working from home.
Fatigue is my biggest problem. Fatigue can manifest itself as overwhelming tiredness at best or at worst, my speech is effected. I start to stutter and can not formulate sentences. Head pain can still be debilitating and my effected side becomes even weaker when i try to push through the fatigue.
I try to pace myself but yes, everyday is not the same and you are right Debchips, I get through a day with each day being different, ‘roll with the punches’.
I thought I would be over this by now but it is reassuring to hear that it is ok and others still have similar side effects. Though, I do not wish it on anybody of course but sometimes when I have had enough of it all, I get strength from knowing it is what it is and it is ok.
I am pleased that I can work three days a week, it has been a challenge getting there and it isn’t always easy. I know there are others worse off.
I think you are all amazing! :star_struck:

4 Likes