DNr

Am feeling increasingly anxious abyhaving another stroke 

I know the feeling.  One way to combat it is to find out the cause of the stroke and then do what you can to prevent another.  For example, when I checked out of the hospital they told me to immediately make appointments with my GP, a cardiologist and a neurologist.  I didn't know why, but I did it.  The cardiologist found out I had afib which had caused the stroke.  So I was put on medicine for the afib and blood thinners as an extra precaution to prevent future stroke.  For some people, depending on the kind of stroke, they go on blood pressure medicine.  For some, anti-cholestrol medications.  For some, all of the above.  I'm very conscious about  what I eat now, I exercise, take my meds and I don't worry anymore.  Taking some control helps a lot. I struggled a lot with anxiety the first months after my stroke.  There are medications for that.  But instead of going that route, I met with a counselor a few times and got some good tips on dealing with anxiety.  Also, I started taking 20 mg CBD oil drops under the tongue some nights when needed.  That really get me through a rough tim.  I rarely need that now. smiley  Love, Jeanne

Thank you ou I thought for months I'd not looked after my blood pressure but looking back through old messages I realised that I was incredibly stressed a. Few days before it happened and probably not watching what I ate and drank also stressed dude to Covid 

Thank you ou I thought for months I'd not looked after my blood pressure but looking back through old messages I realised that I was incredibly stressed a. Few days before it happened and probably not watching what I ate and drank also stressed dude to Covid 

They way I see it you now should be in the correct medications. I am now even more aware of the risk factors that cause a stroke. I am far more careful with my diet, I watch my blood pressure carefully, I am doing everything to lower my stress levels (relaxing, meditation, breathing exercises). I am doing exercises everyday.

I don't know yet what caused my stroke. Still waiting for follow up. 

My anxiety is getting better - remember try to focus on your daily targets and rehabilitation.

When I first had my stroke ( 3 months today)I spent a lot of energy thinking/worrying about scenarios (often not very very positive) into the future and it was driving me mad and not getting me anywhere. 

Try to be positive. The sun ? is shining. Make this weekend about banishing negative thoughts. Have a good weekend.

Jane

Thanks Jane  I don come across many other Jane's 

Hello Jane,

This is ongoing for most of us I imagine, and I guess only time will decrease the anxiety. I've got an MRI lined up to check for Hydrocephalus and to see if any more TIAs have occurred. This is my own prognosis and I asked my stroke consultant for this test, to give me a little peace of mind. Most of my anxiety stems from fearing other complications because of the stroke. The stroke I had was cryptogenic, which means no cause discovered. I've got a sneaking suspicion on what may have caused it but I'm no medic and can't convince myself conclusively. I have primitive tests to check that I'm not having a TIA, finger from nose to finger, palm slaps, and running my heel up my shin in a supine position. These are pretty basic, and for the first few months I was doing them about twenty times a day, this has reduced to about twice a day, so I guess I'm unconsciously becoming less stressed about it. I'm pretty neurotic compared to most people, and tend to worry much more. Some stroke survivors I've spoken to have not this issue so much.  One such survivor, a barrister, had the same stroke as me, bilateral as well, he went back to work after five months, three days a week. I asked him about the cause and he said, 'Just bad luck, nothing I have to avoid though.' I thought, how wonderful to be so blasé. I'm the complete opposite!