Discharging from Hospital

Hello everyone im new to this forum but hoping for some kind of help/advice.

My nana was admitted to hospital after a stroke 3 and a half weeks ago, they also found out she had broken her hip, we went to visit last night and they have said she is medically fit for discharge but they need to have a care package in place at home. Has anyone every had one of these before what does it include, is it all organised by the hospital or do we need to do something ?

Many thanks

@JR1934 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your nan’s stroke. The hospital should talk to you and your nana about what she will.need at home and this should be put in place before she is discharged. Sometimes they visit the home too to carry out an assessment. If it is going to take a while to sort they move her to a rehab place before discharge home. Think this all depends on where you’re located and availability of beds etc.
You should ensure you make your views known and make sure you are comfortable she will be safe before agreeing to have her home. If you or others are going to be providing some level of care make sure you only agree to do what you know is possible (e.g. if you have to work & therefore can’t help in the day or overnight then tell them that).
Hope all is put in place soon. Best wishes for your nans recovery x

1 Like

Just to say if they do assess the home, ideally your nan would be there as well. It’s easy to make mistakes, I had thought where a grab bar would be in a shower but it was only when I stood in the shower myself I realised it would have been totally in the wrong place to use easily.
Often it takes some time for the care packages to come about

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t know very much about my brother being discharged from hospital as it was during Lockdown and we couldn’t visit. Also he lived on his own 100 miles away from his nearest relative, who is me. Once lockdown had lifted I got myself down to a local Stroke club to find out first hand how people and their carers/ relatives/ partners coped with the massive change in all their lives. I found them very honest and extremely willing to talk to me about how they felt and the “do’s and dont’s” on coping.
Stroke UK run a lot of seminars and are full of helpful tips, but I’ll be forever grateful to the people who had “been there done that” for their advice.
After 2years my brother now lives with me and is improving all the time.
I wish you and your Nan all the very best x
Ps. My most valuable tip from the stroke club was, never ever talk over or about them as if they weren’t there. Believe me I’ve had to correct myself many times. Always consult them in everything concerning them x

2 Likes