Depression after Stroke

Collapsed with stroke at only 28. Have overcome total paralysis, major heart op, learned to talk again etc., but hate how my life was ruined. Was a legal assistant. Worked so hard. Have done lots of voluntary jobs or courses since. Use a walker now. However, have suffered from bouts of depression ever since. Almost 30 years since stroke! Counselling HAS helped,am not suicidal now, but cry a lot. Is this common? Thanks. Carole x

3 Likes

I’d say very common and understandable. I went to see my gp with insomnia - his response: you are depressed. Me: I’m 32; I just had a stroke, it would be odd if I was not depressed.
Janet

3 Likes

I would say depression is very common following a stroke, you go through a grieving process for the loss of your own life. I did a self referral to MIND and was given 7 one hour sessions on a weekly basis. I found it very helpful at the time and have on occasions thought of giving it a try again but as with everything else, COVID has made that very difficult. I definitely think it’s worth talking to someone you are not close to and who won’t get upset with you. I spent every Tuesday afternoon in floods of tears for 7 weeks and I definitely felt better after.

Regards Sue

1 Like

Thank you Janet. That makes sense x

Thanks Susan-Jane. Really helpful x

@Spacer Hi Carole, depression is very common post stroke. No matter how long ago it was it can still catch up with you. Your stroke is with you every day as a reminder that your life isn’t as you’d have wanted it.

As others have said speak to your GP orcself refer for counselling.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann x

1 Like

Thannk you Mahoney. Means so much x

Thank you Ann. I appreciate everyone’s kind words and promise I will take note x

I have had several bouts of depression pre-stroke. After my stroke diagnosis 4 years ago my mood did start to go down. One of the factors was I had to retire early and my low mood was compounded by COVID isolation. My primary carer phoned my GP to report my mood had spiralled down. The GP put me on antidepressants and referred me to the Mental Health Team. Thanks to appropriate therapy my mood has risen and I can now function better from a mental health aspect.

Getting help is important and I also find taking part in these forums is helpful.

4 Likes

@Spacer along with mental fatigue, depression is very common as we try to understand and come to live with our post stroke lives. I now go for weeks feeling fine, then have a few days of low mood and get very teary at things i wouldn’t have batted a eyelid at before my stroke, i am definitely more emotional than i was.

I was (still am) a mental health first aider at work, that has given me great strength and insight into that side of things. My MFA colleagues at work have been very supportive to me to.

It’s great you have been able to get some help and improve things, keep at it, and don’t forget, although we are behind keyboards and screens we are here for you and with you all the way.

4 Likes

Hello Carol @Spacer. When everyday can feel like a battle just to perform tasks that were taken for granted, when we feel isolated both physically and like we are not part of society, we have issues with work and financial security, how we try to feel purposeful whilst continually grieving for our lost selves. Noone could deal with all that without sometimes becoming derailed. You’ve shown already what you can achieve by still getting out of bed every morning for years and just getting on with it no doubt some days better than others. We can all learn from this. We are stronger than we know. I’ve had different types of counselling, they haven’t fixed me but have helped and I’m sure I’ll need some more in the future as this is an ongoing process. As others have suggested find out what’s available and maybe go back to it but keep talking. Wishing you well, Julia x

1 Like

Thank you so much Loraine. Wow! Bless you.Indeed, counselling has helped me alot. The tears come every so often (usually when I am alone, as live alone). Stroke Association has been brilliant. When I collapsed, there was virtually zero help. Thankfully,that has intensified over the years. Carole x

1 Like

Awww thank you so much Phil, in lovely Essex. Had a boyfriend who lived there haha! Seriously, your words mean a lot, and am also glad that your colleagues and work have helped you. Am the same, can go for days or weeks, then the tears and dark mood descend. Much obliged. Carole x

1 Like

Indeed, Julia, I know talking is the key! Hence me writing initially! Yeah, counselling hasn’t fixed me either though has helped a lot. For example, swear am not suicidal now which is a huge step. Have always been an emotional person, but loads more post stroke. Also, am mourning for me before, like all of us. That’s a tough one to bear, isn’t it? Carole x

2 Likes

Excellent news Sunnyday! Owards and upwards! Agree, working meant everything to me pre stroke. Not now, HEALTH comes first! Am glad that you are back on track! Big hugs. Carole x

So agree Janet. Massive trauma = change in mood! Doesn’t take a brain surgeon to work that one out - duh! Very sorry you were young too. Respect. Carole x

Yes it’s quite normal to be depressed at times I would be shocked if people were not feeling come and go I know it still happens to me it’s ok :relaxed: with kind regards des

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Des. So true mate cheers x

Very common if my own experience is anything to go by.
13 years down the road from a stroke that changed my life for ever,I have overcome most limitations but get occasional bouts of confusion and frustration.
Good luck on your journey

Tony

Many thanks Tony. Will soon be 30 years since my own stroke, collapsed at only 28. Was a legal assistant, and so miss being able like many of us. Indeed, have overcome total paralysis etc, but frustration always creeps back into my psyche. Best wishes to you, and all. Carole x