Coping with loss of the previous life

Hi, I relate to most of what you express. It’s five years next month since I had the stroke on my dominant side totally paralysing my arm below the shoulder, and impairing my right leg and balance. It’s near totally demolished my previous activities. However, I have re-learnt to drive with adaptations to the car. I have recently ordered an all-terrain electric wheelchair mainly to assist me continuing with one hobby, photography. In the last year I have discovered the Disabled Photography Society. In general, my mood rather flat. Fortunately, generally when confronted with a small problem (such as the clothes rail being knocked over when I attempt to back out of the bathroom in my wheelchair) I’m able to stop, think and find a solution, without bothering my wife or panicking. I’ve never been able to really accept the effects of the stroke, and have regular ‘black dog’ days, and wonder why I continue. I was 73 at the time of the stroke, and try to remember that I generally had 73 good years.

2 Likes

My loss of peripheral vision in the left portion of my eye balls on both eyes along with being registered partially sighted has put paid to my car driving in the short term who knows it may improve but does not look promising safl

1 Like

Hi @Malcolm_Baxter welcome to the forum. Sounds like you’ve found some good work around for difficult situations. So good to hear you’re able to continue driving & with your photography. Gives us all a bit of hope.
Best wishes

2 Likes

I needed dom positive news on the driving front with my peripheral vision loss I am out of action until it improves, quite a hammer blow to independence and a personal joy.

1 Like

Hi frederickson, yes the loss of vision is a bitter pill to swallow , a while after being stroked understood from a Stoke Association seminar that things were not likely to improve because of the type of stroke I had. Asked Doctor for his opinion. Well he says the good news is your vision won’t get any worse, the bad news is it’s unlikely to get better. So dug deep and bit bullet. Very grateful for what vision I have and live in hope but don’t dwell on it. So back to the three ‘A’s. Accept, still working on it, adapt and adjust which all of us here battle with and we win some and lose a few but grateful to be still here. Keep posting we all want to know your continuing story

2 Likes

Welcome to the group yes it is hard accepting the new you but if we do we can move in with kind regards des

Having a bad day the enormoof my recovery and the years it will take is hitting home and how much my family is having to cope with, all got too much and I had a big cry ,more a dob, over now but not too cheery

Thanks Lorraine, much appreciated, time is my only escape

1 Like

I feel for you @mrfrederickson and wish I could give you a big hug.

I was looking at some of your older posts and note the activities that brought you some joy, an evening with friends and a trip out with your wife so why not plan something to look forward to, and for right now, just treat yourself well, we all need a few tears sometimes.

There’s some lovely people on this forum who are here for you.

My dear wife reminds me we are off to the ciny tomorrow afternoon to see Jurassic world, wish me luck😂

Excellent (and good luck) :crossed_fingers:

@mrfrederickson hope you’re feeling a bit better now. Enjoy the cinema tomorrow :blush::blush:

@mrfrederickson Have a good day tomorrow, all the best. :upside_down_face: :grinning:

Thanks the film looks great

Hada great time wheelchair access was good and easy access to the toilet, apart from a sleepy left leg all went to plan the film was watchable yoo

1 Like

Hi @mrfrederickson please don’t feel alone when you have your off days I too feel the same but since being on here I feel listened and understood this is my second stroke so I feel so depressed and low I’ve made changes I don’t smoke anymore since 19 March don’t even have a glass of wine anymore since last September all physiological blame them for my strokes yes they were added factors to my hypertension since the strokes I’ve discovered hole in my heart partial seizures left side only diabetes eye sight blurred loss of feeling still left side only I have terrible depression and anxiety and feeling I’m a burden so please don’t feel your on your own please talk that’s what I’m doing on here and I no longer feel it’s just affecting me but other in the same boat wishing you all the best my lovely and please keep talking like I’m doing help each other through the dark days and eventually we will all have just good days :heart::heart:

Great advice. Accept, Adapt, Adjust.
I am sure this is common mantra for stroke survivors (my brother is the one here with stroke challenge), but I had not heard the simple advice.

I’ve been saying to my brother - I cannot do the things I used to either. I can’t run, can’t walk too far, no sport. Others have NEVER done those things. He’s survived and his challenges and joys in life have changed. Accept, Adapt, Adjust - I like it.

Despair will come and go. Time is the healer for grief. Try to see the silver linings…there are always some.

Yes Dingalingalong despair creeps in now and again and is a swine to move on but move it on we must. Yet to read a book that gives the answer. Distractions help but what works for one doesn’t for others and friends have some days you just have to bite on bullet and sit it out​:scream_cat::weary: so keep that pecker up the best you can. Pds

1 Like

I can relate to this.
I had my stroke over 12 years ago and it has left me with defective eyesight ( field of vision ),defective balance,minor coordination,I fumble handling things.
I am no longer allowed to drive so now dependent on public transport.
I had to stop doing a job that I loved.
I had a very black dog period for the first few years but have gradually been able to pick up some of the lost pieces of my life by adapting to do and access things.
I used to get very frustrated by my inability to do simple things but perseverance and practice has been fruitful.
I am pleased to see that you have new hobbies which you have found ways of accessing.I did the same and found it gave me a huge boost to my morale.
Good luck on your journey
Tony

Good for you. Keep up your determination.
Always think that it could be better, but could also definitely be worse. Take what you can do and make the best of that.