Cerebellar Stroke ... in a nutshell

I know I’ve given you a lot of information so take your time reading through. I know at 8mths I couldn’t have manage all that info in one go. But I could have managed to save it to come back to and read in stages.

Anything you need help with just give a shout.

There are also face to face stroke support groups around the country you may find in this post Support Groups for Anne & anybody else 1of2 or you can search by post code here Support in your area | Stroke Association

1 Like

Fantastic, many thanks

You’re absolutely right it’s hard to take it all in especially as I’m starting from zero knowledge but it’s so reassuring to read that other people out there are having the same issues to deal with.

Thanks again

1 Like

Another post you might find useful to read some time is Our Best Posts on My Stroke Future

I was trying to find a few posts related to aiding and training cognition but I can’t seem to find them yet. The trouble with posts is that they can start out as one particular topic and then evolve into so much more. And naturally stroke survivors join the forum, I think the majority of us just about manage to create a post let alone post in a category or add tags to aid searches. But I’ve no doubt others will be along soon to welcome you and assist with what I can’t remember, so keep checking in :wink:

1 Like

Aye, I experienced a blunted emotional response for several years after cerebellar stroke, but interestingly enough, I could still get angry but would not see my anger as anything other than anger. I couldn’t feel the emotional effect of it, indeed, to this day, I still wrestle with negative moods, and have worked hard to consolidate them all into something more beneficially positive or, at least, not so negative. This sometimes takes thinking outside the box. They think that the cerebellum may play a role in emotional processing, but for many stroke survivors this may be subtle enough to escape their attention, however, it may well account for changes in mood after stroke.

Problem solving is a less complex thing, I play video games, puzzles games and the like but there are also dedicated sites and apps for stroke survivors like Brain HQ. Some are freemium and others are free. A fascinating positive for me with cognitive training during the first year is that the ability and information stuck much more firmly than my post-stroke days of learning. As an example, I used to listen to a series of audio lectures on English language etymology during the first eight or so months post-stroke, at the time it was a way for me to rest my brain, but three years on, I have discovered that I can recall that information very quickly, and that it has somehow become embedded in my brain without me having had to work at it like I used to with research and the like before I was struck.

I think that during the early periods of repair plasticity, things will stick to a sticky brain but may only become apparent down the line once all the fogginess and other difficulties have eased a little.

2 Likes

Thanks Rups, I was in the BrainHQ app and it looks really good, although I had mixed success. Thanks for the info and suggestion

1 Like