Carotid Web Artery - has anyone has this rare contributary cause of a stroke?

Anyone suffered from a Carotid web complication with being an underlying cause for a Stroke?

As it seems rare, im looking to learn from others experiences and treatments/recoverys if anyone else on the forum has the same Stroke cause and underlying issue potentially?

Many thanks

1 Like

@chops hi thanks for sharing your stroke I haven’t so I’m no help I’m afraid. But I’d like to welcome you to the forum and I’m very sorry you had a stroke. Hopefully someone else on our forum may be able to help. Best wishes loraine :blush:

1 Like

Hi @chops welcome to the forum, I can’t help with your question, but wanted to say hello, hopefully some others willing have experience to share.

Best wishes

1 Like

@chops welcome to the forum. I had a carotid artery dissection as the cause of my stroke. Not sure if that’s the same as a carotid web artery though.
Good luck with your recovery.
Best wishes

1 Like

Hi there,

Thank you, is a carotid dissection classed as a variation of the standard artery layout, ie thickening or slight bulb area or similar? I’m guessing this may be caused by a bleed potentially? (My knowledge is very limited so far).
Sorry to hear you went through this, I hope you have made a good recovery.

I had a TACS ischemic Stroke from a blood clot.

I have been out of hospital for a week but waiting on follow up appointments, just scans so far, so I don’t feel like I know any more yet, and looking at published limited papers online related to carotid web and seems to be the absolute worst thing to do :see_no_evil:.

I’m 40, non smoker, hardly drink, and was really fit from cycling and riding before etc so it has been totally out of the blue, I guess as it happens to most people too 😵‍💫🥴.

Many thanks

1 Like

@chops the dissection was explained to me as a bit like a bruise that grew in the artery which looked a bit like a bulb area I guess. Fortunately mine didn’t close off whole artery but where it grew it caused a clot which travelled to my occipital and parietal lobes. I am making good progress with my recovery thank you but still a bit to go yet. I’m getting used to being told it is still early days yet at just 6 months.
I agree that looking online can cause more anxiety than it solves.
Like you I was fit, never smoked, didn’t drink and ran 3 times a week and was only 49 at time of stroke.
It’s difficult to understand why it happens when you have few / no risk factors but I have learnt it is more common than you think and can happen to anyone.
Good luck in finding answers and with your recovery.

3 Likes

Good luck with your recovery it’s hard work :wink:

1 Like