Caring for someone after a stroke

Because stroke can happen so suddenly, you're often found in a position of becoming your loved ones carer overnight. Being a carer can be tiring and emotionally exhausting, so it is very important you get the information and support you need! 

Our Carers section in Advice and Information provides lots of useful information for you, including some videos on how other carers cope day to day. You can take a look by clicking the following link - https://mystrokeguide.com/advice-and-information/practical/carers

What do you do to support yourself? Are you part of a carer's group, or do you take some respite throughout the year? ![](upload://641vKFSSPapIadavqg4sCihxmaQ.png)

Hi everyone, my friend's mum had a haemorraghic stroke four weeks ago. She's on a stroke unit in Southend on Sea and has not really improved in that time - my friend says her mum has no communication, and there is very little sign that she can see or hear anything or recognise her family. I have sent my friend details of the Stroke Association Helpline and the Southend stroke club, although  it's a bit soon to be thinking about recovery. Can anyone recommend anything to support either my friend of her mum? Donna

Hi Donna

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's mum's stroke.

It's a tough question, and hopefully somebody on here can provide some ideas for support from their own experience. Meanwhile, do you mind if I ask, is the mum unconscious or is she awake but not really responding to anything? Also, do you know what the doctors are saying?

Above all, it is simply a difficult time for your friend - so much uncertainty around someone so close. She needs support herself and is lucky to have a friend like you to be there for her.

Best wishes

Kevin