Carers coping methods

Hi @Pusscat

Love your screen name :slight_smile: there are a few evocative names amongst users here. You’re very welcome as a new user although all of us will be expressing our sorrow that you have had cause to join us. this site has many people who have travelled the road ahead of you, are empathetic, knowledgeable, wise and, Will happily share their insights.
as a group we are pretty much anything goes so feel free to ask questions, celebrate successes, rant when you need to let out a cathartic screaming or anything between.

You’ve said yourself it’s early days and the reality of that probably doesn’t match the simple fact of the words. So recognise there is a lot of adjustment even if you currently have got to recognition. That’s a really valuable step but not the end of the road .

When I had my stroke I was really more concerned for my wife than myself because I knew that the medical profession would see me but they wouldn’t see her, & that she would have a greater need. I think I was right. And I think I read in your post that you have needs as a carer for information, for making it all make sense - so my biggest single piece of advice is seek out support for you and lean on it as heavily as you can because you may have the energy of the beginning but this, as many of us say is a marathon not a sprint .

There’s a welcome post here click this blue text. Amongst much else it has a link to support groups of which there are hundreds across the country for stroke and hundreds more for mental health and other needs - part way down there’s a postcode finder that brings up a map

Your notebook is a really good idea and so is your friends gazing at the moon with the dog.
I will load to YouTube and post a link to my wife’s video from when I went into hospital and a follow-up video later.
I hope that they will show you that her despair while justified in the moment has been the birth of something good subsequently.

I suspect you’re scrubbing carpets within an inch of life is a displacement activity born of this & maybe going out for a coffee and cake maybe with a friend would be a better alternative? While it’s not stroke related Lea might tell you about singing to led Zeppelin full volume in the car in a zoom call - she runs or perhaps that’s ran the stroke association carers cafe ( we have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the future of) but she’s still happy to talk to people 121 -let me know if you want to talk there’s also a cafe at 1:00 today You’re welcome to join that link is https://bit.ly/StrokeThuCafes

I like the vision of sofa yoga. I know what cat yoga is I’ve just had to move Beryl The Barrel from where I want to eat my breakfast and I can imagine s sofa yoga but maybe you’ll give us more description later?

Me time is important. Lea has Monday mornings in her pottery studio, Thursday afternoons in her belly dancing class and various other things. they are me time as well for me when I can do things like mend my shed roof without her seeing that I’m on a ladder. I could more or less walk when I came out hospital but I still don’t have a working right hand so ladder was something of a challenge for the first year indeed it’s still a challenge

I agree that you don’t know what the future holds. But if you go to the welcome post and you do the suggested search you’ll find that it could be better post stroke than you had imagined when stroke wasn’t in your vocabulary, by all means grieve for the old life to mark the transition but then embrace the new

Ciao

Simon

2 Likes

@nsw72
I suggest having a good blab when you’re receiving a hug from a friend is what you should do. Then it gives you more capacity to be strong without being fragile.

While it’s only been a few days it does seem to me that the themes that will grow and need embracing are already within your thinking
while you don’t know with hindsight what to do the rest of us who do have hindsight maybe able to observe that you look as though you’re doing very well and would encourage you to keep doing what seems right because your intuitively doing what we found was right too

Stay strong

Simon

2 Likes

Thanks Simon, that’s heartening to know.
I know I’ll get through this and find a way to cope with this new life we will have, it’s just a case of trying to be gentle with myself.
I am not used to being off work as I work for myself, no work, no income. And no fallback person to help. But I just can’t possibly teach right now, my mind is completely focussed on Mum (and Dad) and I have to keep reminding myself we are just only into our second week, things will settle a bit and ‘normal’ life will creep back in to some extent.
In the meantime I’ll be praying to God, Jesus and Billy Connolly to help !

2 Likes

i said id post to yt from Lea’s vLog
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC9GO6zyMs7t9p2nJkwtYJDZkEeA_lD9d

1 Like

Well…I just watch those Lea’s video and all I wanted to do was wrap my arms around her and give her big hugs :people_hugging: :people_hugging: :smiling_face_with_tear: And you both look so adorable and happy together in the second . . . but one question . . . where’s the Scottish accent :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :laughing:

Lea just said to me quote We issnee Scottish hen”

I’ve said a couple of times on here I was born in East Ham East London and Lea’s from originally surrey but neasden till her 20s

We’ve been here 27 years I think. The kids have Scottish accents, well the daughter does the son has the accent he wants to choose. We lived in the lakes before moving here where “mommy I want a bAth” was the prevailing accent so Toby can put on Essex and Edinburgh & pretty much everything else - he now lives in Dubai I think that’s Scottish gives him a little bit advantage over an Essex own

:slight_smile:

1 Like

:laughing: Yes you have mentioned where your originally from…now that you mention it :blush:
“The only thing faster than the speed of thought is the speed of forgetfulness. Good thing we have other people to help us remember.”
It’s a quote from my collection . . . but I can’t remember who from :crazy_face: :laughing: