But you look so well!

Hi Deigh - we have spent many years going on holiday in our touring caravan, the one thing we notice is that everyone is equal on a campsite - there's a distinct lack of airs and graces, which suits us perfectly. NZ is on my retirement list, I look forward to meeting you all xx 

My first post. I had my stroke in August. As other survivors are saying about people who say you do look well I get it from friends too. When I say how tired I feel they look at me as if that's normal for anyone my age (66) so now I just say it's the fatigue. I'm so pleased I've now managed to find and read the posts on here. Sorry we are all on it of course but knowing now that others can empathise will be a great help. Good luck to everyone and thankyou for being supportive.

Welcome LynnD. This is a really great source of support and often much needed humour! On that note, my wee 94 year old daddy who has Alzheimer's but realises something has changed with me, announced to the family ' Well she looks very well, but she's definitely not all there'!!! Couldn't put it better myself xxxx take care x

Yes I get exactly the same thing and it is frustrating and people think because they know someone it’s happened too they know everything and no one is the same.  My worst nightmare are the people I work for and who I work with unfortunately. 

I agree entirely. My cerrabelum stroke was 8 years ago, but I still get fatigued and then asphasic. I go to a group called Re-Connect every 2 weeks in Cheltenham. It's mostly stoke survivors, but open to anyone with a long term condition.

Love it Mo, keep smiling x

I was asked the other day if  it was my hips causing me to walk with difficulty. When I said no that I was recovering from a stroke, there was disbelief on their face. I don't know why that came as a surprise, but it did seem to. I was glad in a way that they didn't realise it was the cause of stroke. I was not being labeled at least. Happy New Year to all of the SS on here. May it be a better one for all us.

I tried to explain how the stroke effected me,to me it is like a giant hangover  with out the joy of getting it . I had my stroke 6 years ago ,until then I was a very active golfer.

I am now 89 , lucky to have got this far you might say, I always looked 10 years younger,but over night thoughs 10 years over took me physicly + altho' like al those i've read I still get- you look great-I am one of the lucky ones, but it does suprise me how many friends disappear ??

Happy New Year to you all--Rosemary.

Hi Rita, I get that too. It’s either a question about my hip operation or a question about why I can’t walk properly. I find this interesting because my arm and hand lag behind my leg in terms of ability. But, as you say, it’s nice that one isn’t being labelled.

Dear Lynn

Well said. Fatigue is nearer the mark than tiredness. I call it SF (stroke fatigue).

I was 68 when a stroke bit me. So we are both in a similar boat. 

I am pleased you found us ! This site is hard to follow. When I was early days there is no way I could follow this. But there was a different forum that was aimed carefully at stroke survivors. So I could follow that. And I had such fabulous advice from fellow SS who were further along the recovery path. They were my angels. How I would have coped without them I dont know.

best wishes

Colin

Well said Rosemary.

There arent words to describe a stroke. We are the cinderella disabled. I try to remember that we survived and many do not. So that has to be a plus.

The hangover bit is familiar. I call it stroke fatigue (SF) but the medical term for me was "post stroke tiredness". I feel as though everyone is in a fog and I dont connect to them. 

best wishes

Colin

I had2 strokes in October 2017. I am still unable to walk or move my left arm. I' ve taught myself to sew with one hand and do the cryptic crosswords most days. I live in hope.

Wow well done on the sewing! I have never been creative at all. I think it is all about setting ourselves wee challenges all the time. My OT taught me to turn things I can't do into challenges to find another way like you with the sewing. All the best xxx

It is amazing  how sensetive we stroke victims can be. At my club the other day my wife told a male friend that I had had a stroke. "Oh", he said "It must have been a mini-stroke!". I was furious when told of this, my stroke was fairly severe and I've done a lot of work to get back on my feet. To have it labelled as a mini-stroke was maddening!

Deigh

Hi there i feel the same as I get people saying things,  like have you hurt your leg? or my friend had a stroke  and you should drink lots of soup infact was told to try pigeon soup. Think I will give that a miss.  Then you get you look too young  for a stroke  little do they know you can have a stroke at any age. Sometimes when people  ask now I just  smile.Any way back to my home exercises.

Hi Ched

I have had all kinds of advice from cab drivers. ranging from pigeon meat_as in my mum had a stroke and always ate pigeon meat and is fine now. I think he was Albanian pigeon is a staple. right to hot springs bathing. can't remember where that guy was from. but hot springs sound nice anyway whether or not it is any good for stroke recovery. I have had some top blokes as cab drivers. one gave me a box of cypriot sweets after I told him my wife was born in Cyprus. we stopped by his house to pick them up. the kindness of strangers moves me sometimes. suach a relief after some of the struggle I have hasd to deal with since the stroke.

take care

Tony 

Thank you for your kind words. It’s taken me ages to  fathom out how to access the messages on the site. I think I’ve cracked it now but will probably have forgotten by tomorrow. My memory and concentration aren’t what they were before the stroke. The fatigue seems to get worse. Keep smiling eh?

No pigeon soup for me thanks. Does the fatigue ever lessen? Keep smiling

Thank you for replying. I’m trying to get used to the site. 

I’ll go anywhere ???