Best car to transport Dad after stroke

Hi @Nigel1228 and welcome to the forum. Have you tried your local council or public transport service. They should have a service for your situation. For Greater Manchester it’s called Ring & Ride and apparently it’s country wide, though may be under a slightly different name.

3 Likes

Hi @EmeraldEyes and @Nigel1228,

Just as an aside …

This talk of Dial-a-Ride and Ring & Ride reminded me of an episode of the Columbo (TV detective series) in which the murderer used an ice-cream van for a company called the “Ding-a-Ling” ice-cream company. This tickled me at the time and it still does :smiley:

3 Likes

“Ding-a-Ling” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was by Chuck Berry.

I think Mary Whitehouse got it banned from top of the pops

1 Like

Hi @Nipper72, We had exactly the same problem, how to get my husband into a car as he’s stuck in a wheelchair and can’t stand unaided. Today we were given (sold) a lifeline. We have a motor home which we can’t sell til spring, but now we don’t need to. We’re buying a hoist which lifts the disabled person from the wheelchair and puts him in the normal car seat, and vice versa when the journeys ended. We can’t have it fitted til January, but when it is we’ll get our freedom back. You could look at this as a solution for your dad. Check out Mobility in Motion.

2 Likes

How does it work? My husband was given a banana board; we have to partially dismantle the wheelchair --side off and foot pedals off, then ease the banana board under his backside, and the other end on the passenger seat. Then I ease him onto the board- by hauling on his trouser waist band and also have to lift his right [bad- can’t use] leg into the seat well. Hauling himself with his good arm on the ceiling grab, and me hauling his trouser band onto the car seat, then lifting his other leg [also bad] in he can manage to get in. Mind you, when I had to do that on leaving A&E the other week after a ‘confusion’ time [mini TIA but all tests ‘normal’! ??] a male nurse came to help. He reckoned my back would give way on the hauling if I did it often. As my husband doesn’t want to go out unless absolutely necessary I guess I don’t do it often. I wonder if he would go at all if he had to be hoisted. It sounds complicated to fit the ‘crane’ into the car. Is it?
However, he is also scared of travelling. His eye issues - hemianopeia - may be what make him afraid as he sees traffic or side trees etc buzzing past but has no view of me driving him as I’m on his right, his bad side, hemi-neglect. So he will only go on roads he remembers and not far - 3 miles to the hospital is max nowadays.
Do any of you/ your cared for ones have similar problems?

3 Likes

@AnneC If you google mobility in motion you will find all sorts of options there, the only one for us is the sling. You will find videos to see how they work.
We weren’t keen on the sling idea, but having tried it out we’ve both OKd it. My husband was registered blind 25 years before his stroke, but now is worse, and his hearing has gone on his bad side. Getting back to normal living isn’t going to happen, so we’re going to use the aids available to get to an approximation.
I wish you luck with your dad. I
Shelbo

2 Likes

I’ll look. thanks. It’s for my husband [mid-70s] though it feels like ‘dad’ at times! No, normal has to be different to ‘normal households’ but then we adapt… but it does mean we have far less of a social life, no hospitality [due to waterworks] - at least only very close people would come to visit and our kids don’t visit as they live too far away and not well either! :frowning: sadly. I get out on my own. Church is very important for that. Christmas is highly reduced though I will visit my mother on the day - 90 this Christmas day and reasonably fit enough to cope independently! I focus on things to give thanks for!

2 Likes

@AnneC , sorry, Dad was in another post. My husband is 85, and yes, I know about the waterworks problem. We are in the process of looking at condom catheters. I understand that disposable ones are available on prescription. (We only found that out last night). I do love google.

2 Likes