Being in the right place with the right people

Hi all - I’m a 63 year old and had an ischaemic stroke in September 2022. I’d travelled to London with a close friend to pay our respects to Her Majesty during the period of mourning. I’m so glad we did. When I suffered the stroke we were in a restaurant close to the National Neurological and Neurosurgery Hospital at Queens Square. My friend had been with her mother when she died of a haemorrhagic stroke - unfortunately for her, but very luckily for me - she immediately recognised what was happening. She phoned for an ambulance, let my husband know he needed to to get to London and an off-duty nurse who was also in the restaurant spoke to ambulance control and assured them it was a cat 1 situation. Their actions meant I had a CT and received thrombolysis within 2 hours of onset. Consequently, I’ve had few issues except fatigue and the occasional inability to recall a word I want to use. The scans I received also established I have a number of nodules on my lungs and I’ve been urgently referred for diagnosis.

I’d always been fit and healthy, but since the Covid pandemic have had two bouts of Covid - followed by post covid syndrome. Since the last bout in November 2021 ( possibly exacerbated by being a key worker, working very long hours in a stressful but rewarding career -and working from home rather than the office, with few breaks) I’ve continued with post-Covid syndrome. My blood pressure (previously within a healthy range) became high and I was prescribed an inhaler when I started to become breathless and wheezy. My fitness levels deteriorated and my weight increased.

I don’t know if Covid is responsible either wholly or in part for my stroke, but it appears to be a factor from my perspective.

I can’t return to work until I have a diagnosis and treatment for my lung condition, but I’m learning to manage my fatigue. I’ve learned that even a couple of hours of stimulation results in me needing to rest, but if I pace myself I can get through the day without. My children and grandchildren have realised I’m mortal - they now all want to spend time with me much more than previously. I would prefer to have not had a stroke, but will always be grateful that I was in the right place with the right people when I did.

3 Likes

@Midge58 welcome to the forum although sorry you’ve had the need to join this lovely group. It sounds like you had some great support just at the right time. Good to hear that your early treatment has minimised the affects and hopefully you’ll crack the fatigue battle too.
I hope you dont have too long to wait for your lung results. In the meantime make the most of the time you have to rest loads to ensure you recover properly.
Best wishes

Ann x

1 Like

Hi @Midge58 , Welcome to the forum . I hope you will find it a great source of information that is very relatable, as it comes from people who have been through similar experiences. It is also a great place to chat to a nice bunch of ladies and gents.

I hope your recovery goes well. Make sure you ask questions on anything you like as someone will probably be able to help or give their experiences (may not be able to help with the next winning lottery numbers though!).

1 Like

Midge, welcome to our forum. You certainly were in the right place and received medical help quickly. Most of us have post stroke fatigue and follows the same pattern…too much stimulus leads to fatigue and rest. I still have it after nearly 7 years and have learnt to limit my daily activities. However, I am older than you and retired.

Yes, stroke makes us realise our mortality, but I’m sure you have a long way to go yet. Glad your family hold you close. It shows the love they have in their hearts.

2 Likes

Hi, Sorry to hear about your stroke but welcome to this forum. You definitely were in the right place at the right time. The National Hospital Queens Square is an amazing place, I attend as an out patient in the FES clinic and have been doing so since my stroke in 2017. Unfortunately I was in the wrong place at the wrong time when I suffered a hemorrhagic stroke whilst at home when everyone was out at work and I collapsed and lay on the floor for about 2 hours which sadly resulted in left side paralysis and 5 months in hospital.

I hope you manage to get your breathing issues sorted soon. Welcome to the forum and I hope we can be useful if you have any questions in the future.
Regards
Sue

4 Likes

Hi Madge welcome to forum sorry to hear of been victim of stroke but yes it appears you were in right place with right people around you to act quickly and get you right medical help hope you are slowly recovering and feel better then you was I found you have take it day at time some days are good some are bad and you begin to recognise when you are able to do certain things and also when to rest you take care everyone within this forum are absolutely wonderful nice caring people who totally understand as we all experience similar situations and go through similar recovery process but we are all here to listen and help each other with our own experiences and advice in dealing with everyday problems take care stay safe and stay warm Kaz61

1 Like

Hi all - I want to thank everyone who responded to my post, it’s so kind of all of you.

I’m learning to manage the fatigue. I still have some days where I have to rest in between tasks but the advice I had from the occupational health practitioner working with me (originally for post-covid syndrome) has been invaluable. He told me to think of myself as running on batteries that won’t work as efficiently if I completely discharge them. If I recharge at 20% remaining I’ll eventually recover. He also said that energy can be expended by emotional as well as physical exertion.

I just wondered if anyone else has received some really good advice on managing their fatigue.

Best wishes

Midge

3 Likes

I didn’t think about
energy being expended by emotional as well as physical exertion - that’s something we should all remember :pray:

2 Likes

@Midge58 i had been told the battery theory too. My OT had me scoring my fatigue out of 10 & keeping a diary of what i’ve done. Icoukd then look back & identify my fatigue triggers. I’ve had some success with this but not 100% success.

1 Like