Bad head

@Norma_Jean_K sorry to hear you’re suffering with your head too. It’s quite debilitating isn’t it. I’ve seen ENT recently & they don’t seem to think theres anything wrong with my ears. I have had a increased level of symptoms this week resulting in a visit to A&E. Following that trip I have been made an appointment with the stroke clinic for Monday. I’m really hoping they can help.
I shall have a look at the exercises you mention just in case they’ll help me. Hope you continue to see some improvement.
Best wishes.

Ann xx

Do you find that you get more anxious and that makes symptons worse. I am limited where I go my husband goes in any shops but most of our shopping is done on line. If the Stroke visit comes up with anything please let me know. I am 83 which doesnt help as I have got other things I am dealing with as well. Thanks for your reply and all the best. Norma x

@Norma_Jean_K I think anxiety can make things worse. I don’t generally get very anxious but if I do I try some deep breathing until it passes.
I am reliant on my husband to go anywhere too & he does the shopping now when I don’t do it online. Not quite the same is it.
I’ll let you know what they say on Monday.
Have a good weekend.
Best wishes.

Ann x

Thanks Ann you seem as though you have got the same as me. Please keep me informed as I have tried for years to find somebody who understands what I am going through. The trouble is that everybody sees me looking ok when I am not. Love Norma x

1 Like

Thanks Loshy I did yoga for about 10 years and I do meditate a lot. In the night if I cant sleep I do body scanning which is very good and usually I go back to sleep. Norma Jean x

1 Like

Interesting reading here about metallic taste in mouth, a few weeks after coming out of hospital experienced that in mornings,thought it was side effects of drugs or dental problem so booked dental appointment, now from what I’ve just read here could be caused by rather vigorous activities?. After minor dental treatment taste went but returns now and again. Even took too taking a few grapes with me at bed time to freshen mouth if I should wake up.
Two years on now and still can’t get the equation right for physical activity, mental activity and rest

4 Likes

Hi Al @Pontwander,

That’s interesting. I’m not sure what I make of it as it makes me wonder about headaches/migraines? Although maybe that’s not actually to do with nerve endings in the brain.

I don’t get the metallic taste but I do find some good tastes awful at times. For example I wasn’t able to drink coffee for a while & every now & again that happens again. Similar thing maybe?

My physio did tell me once that they only really understand what goes on in about 10% of our brain & the rest remains a mystery.

With regards to grapes / grapefruit. It says on my tablet box that grapefruit should be avoided. Didn’t know anything about grapes. I’m going to read up about it though as I eat grapes most days :scream:

Best regards.

Ann x

And also meadowsweet which contains salicylates that can increase the risk of bleeding.

I also eat apples daily, nothing beats the crunch of a juicy apple, although I quite like them soft and floury too. I think the reason it is so difficult for me to get an appointment with my GP has nothing to do with the NHS, and most likely because I eat an apple a day.

6 Likes

@Pontwander i had a quick google & it did say that grapes can affect vitamin k levels which affects blood thinning meds. I got the impression it was talking more about meds like warfarin rather than anticoagulants like clopidogrel. Although it did say it depends on the level of other vitamin K foods you’re eating. I might cut back my grape intake as i have them every day but I can’t see myself eating more apples as i’m not that keen on them.
Jeez its a right balancing act isn’t it. :woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face:

1 Like

Gosh, @ZX1, don’t worry about it. One of the greatest issues with cerebellar stroke syndrome is that the symptoms can mimic other conditions, I am rather proactive in spreading the word that it isn’t anything to do with the inner ear, and that it is a result of brain injury. :grin: It irks me when medical professionals have stroke survivors doing time wasting things that won’t bring them any closer to improving their symptoms by misdiagnosing stroke damage with other conditions. Hope you doing okay. :smile:

2 Likes

Aye, going back in time someplace interesting would be preferable to going back in time, stroke wise. There is so much at stake post stroke, in light of the fact that we also have to cope with entropy and any acquired conditions as a result of stroke. BPPV is correct, I too was misdiagnosed with BPPV, and what made matters worse is that I went to the GP and told her that I thought my condition was a result of lack of blood or oxygen to my brain. Natural remedies and holistic approaches are great, most pharmaceuticals were derived from natural sources initially and the only real advantage medical services offer is the technology and years of medical training, but we too have access to medical knowledge, and it is free.

Sorry to hear you are in a slump, the swings and roundabouts of post stroke.

I’m glad my posts can resonate, as I feel the same about posts on this forum. It’s funny, when I think about all the people around me who have adopted Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram &c, and I think about where I am at social networking wise, I have to admit that the Stroke Forum is my social networking platform. :grin: Who’d have thought, as many moons ago, in a past life, I used to teach emerging technologies and digital distribution.

5 Likes

Agree with you Rups, I’m really not a fan of social media. A bit of Twitter (only reading, not posting). This forum is my social!

2 Likes

Metal taste, yes i had that for a few days during and immediately after my stroke.

This is such a fascinating and useful thread with so many ideas and so much information but it’s true, there is so much we don’t know. I heard a quote yesterday which resonated with me “If the brain was simple enough to be understood by medical science we wouldn’t be clever enough to understand it”.

I’m also lucky enough to be able to read a bit as long as the chapters are short. I’m currently reading “The Citadel” by AJ Chronin. It’s largely a romance but is set against a medical background and having been written in the 1930s before the NHS (or most of the drug therapies and operations now available) it’s very interesting. One of the characters has had a stroke. It’s not a particularly hopeful storyline (at least yet, I’m only 1/3 of the way through) as the guy is very poorly, but it has struck me that, for all the advances that have been made since 1937 we really haven’t made that much progress in our understanding of the brain since then

1 Like

@FionaB1 i’m not able to read much at minute. Just short paras & magazine stories. Your book sounds interesting though. I think I will have to look out for it.

You’re probably right about the lack of progress in understanding the brain. There’s so much unknown still.

Have a lovely Christmas xxx