Atrial fibrillation

Good Morning all.
having been feeling unwell just lately got a doctors appointment where amongst other checks and ECG was done.
Doctor then explains the reading shows that I have Atrial Fibrillation and it appears I have had this for a length of time. She then added that this could of caused my stroke in Feb21.
Well after I picked myself off the floor I asked if this showed on my ECG taken at the time of my stroke but she couldn’t access the record. ( I changed Surgeries in July after the doctor at my old one just said any ailment concern I had was old age I am 60) she immediately changed by blood thinners to edoxoban and stopped the clopidrogel. reffered me into cardiology for a 24 hr ecg monitor.
Glad I changed surgeries now.

1 Like

@Al59 that must have been a surprise for you. AF can cause strokes but I would hope it would have been picked up at time if it had caused yours but guess would depend if the ECG at the time was done for long enough.
Sounds like changing Dr’s has been a good move. Hope you see cardiologist soon. Look after yourself x

2 Likes

After my stroke I was referred to a cardiologist, who had me wear a heart monitor, since afib can be an on again off again thing–heart needs to be monitored 24/7 to find it. It was discovered I had afib, which they think probably caused the stroke, and of which I was completely unaware. I was put on dilitiazem (I couldn’t tolerate beta blockers) to control the afib (also lowered BP), and Elequis and low-dose Aspirin to thin the blood. Have not had afib since. (3 1/2 yrs) Jeanne

1 Like

So this Afib thing got me questioning things and went back to my discharge. papers For the more clever than me peeps what fo yo make of this .
“The MRI showed possible Cortical Venous thrombosis in the right frontal region with adjacent infarction and suspected thrombosis in the left transverse sinus.
However CT Venogram Cerebal showed no obvious evidence of dural sinus thrombosis”

is that a stroke or not.

for info
Event 13/2/21
MRI 28/2/21
CT scan 15/3/21.

any comments welcome

I had my stroke on 13th feb 21. but was ‘back to normal in 15 mins’ so didnt go to A&E until 14th. They did ECG ( which we seem now to have trouble locating) and sent me home. Next day stroke doctor rang and said he had reviewed A&E and i had had a migraine but would send me for outpatient MRI. had that on 28th Feb. Got phone call on 15th March saying go to A&E asap the stroke doctors are waiting for me. so off i popped.

“The MRI showed possible Cortical Venous thrombosis in the right frontal region with adjacent infarction and suspected thrombosis in the left transverse sinus.
However CT Venogram Cerebal showed no obvious evidence of dural sinus thrombosis”

Medical people speak a completely different language, don’t they
I think Google might help with that (maybe)

1 Like

So, they suspect two clots but, the latter, they are not one hundred percent on. The first clot had caused damage that they could see. The sinuses in the brain are the veins that drain blood as opposed to having blood pumped in. It is indeed a stroke that incurred, Atrial Fibrillation could well have been a likely candidate for causing a stroke, but whether it was acquired after stroke or existing pre-stroke, I guess they can only measure via the tests you had when you went in. I don’t know much about Atrial Fibrillation, but I have just read the NHS page on the subject, and it is quite interesting.

As for that doctor who thought all these things were attributed to age. What a load of codswallop, to me that is just lazy consultancy. Sure, we do expect entropy as we age, but it belittles the patient’s concern. I had the opposite, the GP I saw, thought I was too young to have a TIA, and put it all down to BPPV. Still ageist though.

2 Likes

@Al59 I’d say you’ve definitely had a stroke. As for what it all means i’m with @Colliwobble . I wish they’d write in a way that we could understand.

1 Like

I to have AF which did not raise its head in 24 years in the Army, had my first stroke October 2020, taken to hospital and given wrong meds as it turned out, and discharged after 18 hrs. Then July last year had another and that was where the AF was discovered and put on Apixaban, not knowing if I am ever going to have another. I had a monitor on for a week and the second stroke was totally preventable.

1 Like

@John2773 that must have been very frustrating for you. Hope you’re recovering ok.

1 Like

John Hi- I never knew I had afib until I had a stroke and they put a monitor on me and found it. I never felt anything. Now I’m on dilitiazem for the afib and eliquis and aspirin as blood thinners. Jeanne

1 Like

Suspect some doctors are just gate-keeping. My sugery was unsatisfactory: I went feeling unwell, complaining of persistent irregular racing pulse etc, which I’d noted on an oximeter. Dr said possible AF that might cause a stroke. Ten days later I had one. Marvellous treatment at hospital. Dr refused to review medication. I found an excellent cardiologist who switched my clopidogrel to edoxaban and contradicted advice of surgery doctor. I had been very lucky having a cerebellar bleed after an aortic-arch clot and have recovered 90%. Always trust instincts and research condition. All the best.
Magga

2 Likes

Have my ups and downs to be honest, not knowing if going to have another and the muscle twitching is just weird. Always in my right thigh.

But merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year, dig in deep and soldier on

2 Likes

I had right thigh twitching too, for me, it seemed to be the brand of statin I was taking. I switched and now it has stopped, but I do still get the odd twangs and muscle weirdness, but I assume it is the brain, possibly, not making a good connection with the motor neurones.

1 Like