Are we there yet syndrome

I have been told off for having an unrealistic vision of when I will be recovered, I expect certain aspects of my body recovery to have happened to my timescales in reality the body is on its own recovery path. 2 years nearl post stroke, my arm not fully working and walking is stuck assisted with fatigue issues,

Advice if any please,

Much appreciated

3 Likes

Thanks Lorraine it seems my only option hope it’s not too many years as with age time is running out

1 Like

Absolutely Lorraine a Tim r to celebrate when it happens I am not the most patient human being as has been seen in this recovery, get told off for impatience Lorraine

1 Like

@mrfrederickson patience is definitely a big part of stroke recovery but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with setting some goals. You do need to be prepared to adjust them though if nature has other ideas for you.
There’s always hope & keep trying.

Planning on the cinema Saturday then Monday my daughters birthday meal out always something to do just hope to be better than I am

2 Likes

A friend told me that she began to feel like “herself” at about the 4 year mark. (This doesn’t mean perfectly the same as before, but more normal and better all around.) So, I waited to see. Sure enough, I have noticed that I am doing more of the things I used to, and am not quite as tired, etc. I feel more “like myself”, and life is more like it used to be. I am at the 4 year, 4 month mark. No promises. :wink: Jeanne

1 Like

Every stroke recovery journey will be relative to the individual, there are no textbook cases. I was thinking about this today actually. A severe fracture can take up to six months to heal, but with the brain, the damage is not like a tear or fracture, it’s the neurotransmitters going on strike. If I wanted to send a letter to some family on a far, distant island, I would pop it in the postbox, but what if the postman went on strike? I’d have to walk to the postbox and take it to the post office, but what if they were all on strike? I’d have to deliver the letter myself, but what if the airports were all closed? I’d go to the docks, but what if there were no ships and the only means of transport was a rickety rowboat? I’d have to row to the island myself and deliver the letter. That’s how I see it when the neurotransmitters get damaged or permanently go down. That letter represents information my brain needs to get to other systems in order to function adequately.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeanne,
I will mark that span and report back I know it’s not a slow process.

Thsts great advice @Mrs5K and something ive had to lesrnsnd dldo not to be too hard on myself. A safe sideways or backwards step is better than unsafe forward step.

The key is to keep trying when you can

Cheers all

Andy

1 Like

Just to throw my tuppence into the conversation, I’m now 93 and my stroke was eight years ago. I initially lost everything on my right side but with continual exercise and hard work I now walk without a stick and have got back to playing (rather badly I’m afraid) jazz guitar and keyboard. I walk about 2 K a day and during that time try to whistle (when I remember) to exercise my tongue. I carry in my right hand a small stick and try to break it with my fingers. I daily do floor exercises.
I do appreciate that I am fortunate in having good family backing and am well looked after by the New Zealand health authorities…what could possibly go wrong?
Deigh

3 Likes

hi Mr Frederickson
recovery does not have a timeframe, little changes occur everyday for some, or even over several weeks.

Who says it is an unrealistic vision? As long as you take your frustration out on your vision / effort and not on your helpers you will feel better for it.