Aphasia

Had a smaĺl stroke that just affected my speech im worried that speech doesnt come back i took stroke on monday night

Hi James, so sorry to hear about your stroke.  Stay calm, it is still very, very early days.  You need to give yourself time to recover, and this cannot happen in just a few days.  You are obviously able to use your computer, and you will surely continue to make progress.  Your brain needs plenty of rest so that it can work on repairing and re-routing its messaging system.  You may need to seek help from different services associated with stroke recovery, which may include speech therapy.  Just now it is time to be patient, and to allow your brain to heal.  You can read lots of positive stories on this site, and although your own recovery will be unique, it is inspiring to read of the recoveries that people make following their strokes.  

Take care, get plenty of rest, best wishes ?

Dear James

So sorry to hear of your stroke, but welcome to the forums.

Your recovery will be different if you had a TIA as opposed to a full stroke.

I have heard people refer to small strokes but I am not at all sure what that means.

A full stroke is a full stroke and it means you will have an infarct.

I suggest you get hold of your written diagnosis. Then you can get to grips with your recovery.

My speech returned to a reasonable level after about six months. 

Your speech might be impaired because your muscles around your mouth are damaged. Or you may have aphasia, which is damage to the part of the brain that processes language.

Most of us get recovery from most of the stroke defects, but recovery can be slow.

I wonder if you are in hospital or are you at home.

Colin 

Hi colin im a home i had an infarct small stroke the only sign i had of this stroke was me speech. They said i have aphasia and been given exersizes from speech therapy. My blood pressure was to blame for my stroke. Was in hospital for 2 days so i could get a mri and ct scan they are also getting tests do from encronology got blood test on tuesday and done a 24 hr urine sample. Hopefully there will be no long lasting affects the first doctor i seen said i shouldn't have .

Hi James. 

When did you have a stroke. I had my stroke on the 12th of January. I couldn't speak in hospital for about 2 weeks. I have got aphasia. 10 months on I am doing ok with speech it takes a long time but your still here! Think positive let you brain recovery it will get better in time. Can you use the phone or are you back at work. Keep practising. 

Fine regard's

Lee 

Dear James

That sounds very promising indeed. So many of us have many difficult outcomes from a stroke, such as blindness, memory loss, paralysis, aphasia and fatigue. I am so glad you have avoided all except the aphasia.

I always do the exercises that the physios suggest. In fact I do them three times over. Your speech will certainly improve and will probably return to a reasonable state. You should notice a difference within the next six weeks and you should be a lot improved in six months. 

Do not despair, the effects of stroke do improve but it can be so slow. Your brain has been damaged and may need some time to rewire around the damage. Do take things easy and do ensure you drink lots of water. Your brain needs extra fluid until it sorts itself out.

Every stroke is different and a few do not recover their speech. But many of us do recover. So be positive and you will join us as a recovered stroke survivor.

Colin

Thanks colin im frightened that i take another i was told that its comman to have another stroke in a month of having your first stroke. 

Im trying to stop smoking and to lose some weight but its hard. Any advise for me.

Dear James

You are indeed more vulnerable to a stroke in the month after. However, you also have the doctors to look at you at this time. I was given tablets to thin my blood and other tablets to keep my BP down. 

You must rest and try to relax. Sensible diet, for goodness sake dont smoke, and keep alcohol to a reduced level. I am not much overweight, but by eating a little better (less crisps, snacks and sugar) I am reducing my weight just a little bit. I also do a lot of relaxation. I go to group therapy once a month then I do relaxation at home on my own. I check my BP twice a month. I drink alcohol and I love beer, wine and spirits, but I make sure it is no more than about 10 units a week. I also have a six week period every February when I drink no alcohol at all. I like a cigar. So I now have the very small cigar on my birthday and one on christmas day. No other smoking ! I had counselling four weeks after stroke and this was very helpful indeed. I can pay if needed, but in fact the counselling was free on the NHS. My church are very helpful because they have so many good contacts.

We need good sleep. I have tried to sleep well and it is a big effort. But I think, for me, it is worth the effort so I dont stay up late.

If it is very hard to eat less and to stop smoking, then just think about what you are doing. It is your choice. The doctors ask me to take "statins" but I do not like them, so I dont have them and I know that increases the chances of me having another stroke. There is no point in living if you have to do things you really dont want to. I take the risk. Stroke recovery is very much down to us. No one else can get you "better". Help is good but it really is down to us.

Also think positive thoughts. Think that you will not  be having another stroke and dont think you will. Think about how you are not paralysed rather than you do have aphasia.

Smile a lot. False, fake or forced smiles are OK, but make sure you smile at least four times a day.

You are not alone, lots of us are out here for you

Colin

Thanks colin yes im on atrovastatin perindipril and startind clopidigril once th asprin finishes next tuesday its hard for the smoking im trying really hard ive had about 2 cigarretes since tuesday. Will keep positive and try to rest. Ive found i get really tired quickly but i try to sleep then. Im off work at moment but planning to go back in 3 weeks as i need normality back. Thenks for listening nobody tells you this stuff in hospital.

Dear James

With those drugs the chances of a second stroke are small. Not nil, but small. Please do try with the cigarettes. Getting down to two is pretty impressive so dont waste it by increasing. I am sure you know about patches and gum. As I said before, its your choice, your life and who am I to say what you should do.

Feeling tired is very common. If you get a copy of your diagnosis (GP staff can give you a copy if you dont have one) you will probably see the medical phrase "post stroke tiredness". Well its the technical name but in truth its not tiredness as we know it. Its nearer fatigue or as I call it SF.

Do keep your sleep going. The brain is too busy mending itself so it shuts you down a bit. So you need sleep. And water. Your brain is bubbling like a cauldren until it gets the rewiring done. Your brain doesnt feel anything so it cant send out "i am thirsty" messages. So do the water thing. I hated drinking extra water, but I guess we have to.

Then we get back to stroke fatigue. Over the next few weeks, try to judge how that SF is progressing. It seems the doctors do not know how to stop the SF and it can soon become the biggest part of recovery. Personally, I get very bad SF but on the other hand my paralysis went away fast and my aphasia got a lot better in just a few months. We are all different.

James, I really hope you are the exception who recovers quick. However, most of us take a lot longer to get back to work. 9 months is typical. Several of us have gone back in six months and then gets a relapse placing them back in hospital. For me it was two and a half years and its really hard for me being back in part time work. If you work for a company or larger firm then do get in touch with them. If they have an HR department then use it, they should offer some help getting back to work.

Whatever, a phased return is almost essential. 

Me and plenty of others do not get normality back. The old Colin has gone and isnt coming back. New Colin is forming and its not all doom or gloom. As I said, I hope you are the exception.

The stroke association are a mine of info. Having said that they dont cover the area I live in! I believe many areas of the country you can have a "stroke co-ordinator" who guides and helps you through the whole recovery. I would have liked that a lot. YOu can ask the stroke association for help. You can also get info from your GP surgery. You dont need a doctors appointment, the staff will have a lot of contacts or help. I have a local charity that covers me in the absense of the stroke assocaiation.

Exercise is important, but not too much. I am bad at working out how much to exercise so dont take any notice of me and exercise.

Time for tea.

Colin

Thanks colin i will keep that in mind.