Anyone have any luck dating after a stroke?

I am wondering if anyone has had any good experiences dating post stroke? I haven’t found any on here, and have unfortunately been using that as an excuse to keep myself sequestered so to speak. I am able to walk unassisted and drive but I am self conscious about fatigue, my arm and stiffness. I had just started in the dating world so this at first seemed like a sign that it was not to be but I now realize that I am afraid.

1 Like

I can’t give advice that would be of any use but a web page to try where you might find pointers is:
https://differentstrokes.co.uk

Click the link to visit the site, there might be the beginning of a trail there. They certainly have a wealth of information.

Hi @Mbhope. I am married now so I don’t need to date and living with my stroke but I had arthritis from the age of 12 and most of the time similar symptoms so I relate little bit. When I was dating I have a profile on one of the sites and it fills me with dread every time I’m met a new person had to explain the symptoms and and how they make my body feel. Sometimes I would be alright and then another time I’d need a sit down because my fatigue and it’s just really hard to live for it. Luckily my husband was able to see through it and get to know the real me. Being afraid and self-conscious is quite normal but I appreciate it’s scary at the start. I would say listen to your body and be upfront - people will either back off (and good riddance to them if I say!) or they clicked with you and you go from there. Good luck and keep me updated! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@LeannePB I appreciate your kind words. I think the challenge may be keeping that attitude you state -good riddance to them! :blush: instead of letting rejection reinforce the idea that oh, I am broken and not worthy. Mind over matter. That’s the scary part.

2 Likes

@Bobbi Thank you for the link!

1 Like

Bless you, just remember you are worthy and anyone would be lucky to you :heart: you have lots of people on the forum here supporting you and champion you on.

3 Likes

LeannePB - you are so lucky that your husband stood by you, and best of luck girl in your recovery. Collapsed at 28, overcame total paralysis etc, and am really lucky to be alive like all of us. Husband dumped me whilst I was in hospital. Years later, boyfriend tragically died. Use a walker now. Had enough of being used, now if I find someone = fine. If not = fine. Am not looking, and am living life on my own terms. Plus am now 58. Have loads of lovely friends and family. Not at all what I had planned for my life, but c’est la vie! If nobody can accept me now, keep walking! Peace Carole

3 Likes

Thank you Mahoney. Had zero choice in the matter haha! Happy Xmas. Carole

1 Like