Anger

Having had 6 strokes, and the resulting issues of lack of left side proprioception and sensation, left field blindness ( hemianoptia ), right side imbalance and general emotional incontinence, I find myself being blamed by my care company for anger outbursts. It has been suggested by them that I should receive less care ( as in miss out my evening call ) -- I wonder whether I should change care company, and indeed whether that is possible...

Having had 6 strokes, and the resulting issues of lack of left side proprioception and sensation, left field blindness ( hemianoptia ), right side imbalance and general emotional incontinence, I find myself being blamed by my care company for anger outbursts. It has been suggested by them that I should receive less care ( as in miss out my evening call ) -- I wonder whether I should change care company, and indeed whether that is possible...

We were told in the hospital that a stroke affects the emotional part of the brain.  So your "emotional incontinence" is normal for one who has had a stroke.   After my stroke, I used to cry easily, but also laugh easily(that was the good part!)  I found that over time as my brain healed, that eased up, and my emotional reactions became more like they were pre-stroke.  Your care company should understand this. You shouldn't be punished for it. There are ways to work with the situation.  Avoid stressful situations, like noise, large groups, upsetting situations.  When feeling stimulated, quiet yourself by going to a quiet place, deep breathing.  After having an exaggerated emotional response of crying, laughing, or anger, say afterwards to those present: "It's okay.  I cry/laugh alot/have angry outbursts since my stroke.  I'm really okay." It will help others not be frightened and to cope better.  If your care company doesn't understand how to work with you, maybe you could find a different company.  I hope you'll feel better soon.  You'll be in my prayers tonight. Jeanne

As a care worker who is off sick with a stroke and my wife is a care worker too yes you have the right to change care firms.  It might be good if you have a stroke team to get them to get in touch with the care company if not use some of the guides about stroke outcomes to educate the care company all the best I hope things get better des

I hope it possible to change. I had one angry outburst, and I know it came from a blind side in my emotional processing, dredging up subconscious issues I knew I had dealt with, but for some reason my brain didn't recognise that at the time. People don't want to know the "why", they only seem to react to the "how" and "what", it's important that you get the right degree of empathy because otherwise the viscious cycle of guilt and frustration will not be managed accordingly. Personally, if you can write a detailed letter describing your emotional processing as best you can, it is something worthwhile to give to a future care company, and even to give to your current one to explain why you want to leave. This gives them something to reference, and time to digest in their own time, it also gives you a platform for explaining your predicament in detail, and the way you want to express it.