Alcohol after stroke

Try some others? I’ve found quite a few I like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shwmae @Apple, I’ve certainly cut down after stroke. It has been difficult because I ferment my own wine and make my own cider and mead. The actual effect of alcohol makes very little difference to my symptoms, I walk around as if I am drunk while sober, and if I get a little merry, it’s pretty much the same thing but I feel more relaxed. :woozy_face: I used to walk down to the pub once or twice a week, but I’ve stopped that now because I can’t walk that far. Nor, would walking back, up a steep hill in the dark, be desirable. I like a tipple with my meal, and the odd brandy at night. My palate didn’t change after stroke, I had cravings instead. I have, however, cultivated more of a taste for white wine, especially low alcohol. It’s a bit more refreshing and less confronting.

There are some decent alcohol-free stouts if, like me, you prefer darker ales. You can order these online for a better unit price than what can be found in supermarkets. I even ordered a crate of Super Bock stout for peanuts compared to the price of retail outlets, but it does take a little online sleuthing. The alcohol in wine creates the nose, and many alcohol free wines fall flat of that nuance. Beer and ale, however, don’t often need a nose, and it is the taste that makes the drop pleasant or not. I believe there are three commercial forms of alcohol removal, and it depends on which form the brewery uses for their brew.

For me, after stroke, I had to make a decision based on what made me feel good about how I functioned day to day. At first, after stroke, I drank no coffee. tried to switch to tea in the morning. It didn’t satisfy. Then I had one cup of coffee in the morning for about a year. Then I realised that caffeine stimulates the brain, I found that three cups a day was encouraging my brain to light up and it has improved my cognitive capacity and, therefore, made managing my symptoms much more undemanding. Three cups is fairly conservative to the five or six I could drink in a day.

But at the same time, I have a friend who went into hospital with a nervous system infection of some sort. When he came out, he couldn’t stomach alcohol, and he was a nightly whiskey drinker. If you enjoyed a wee dram in the past, that pleasure may return, or not. It took me a good year before I knew where I was at with having a glass or two.

3 Likes

Hi
Yes I used to love my wine before my stroke.
Now can’t even touch it.
Really weird.
Hope you’re ok.
X

1 Like

Breva - it’s very odd. Tried a gin and tonic on my birthday yesterday - absolutely fine! Weird

4 Likes

@Apple mmm gin and tonic. Maybe it’s ok as it is not concentrated and it has tonic in cheers :clinking_glasses: and happy belated birthday :partying_face:

1 Like

Happy birthday :birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday:

1 Like

Hello,

Drink has always gone to my head, but since my stoke in October and fatigue it’s even worst now. I was so tired New Year’s Eve but my family had a party and I only had a few but was very drunk and don’t remember after 12 :weary: I did dance to old langs ein though. I am guessing I am going to have to be even more careful now. I was told alcohol could affect you 10x more now I have had a stroke. I am thinking of looking at some 0% alcohol alternatives. It’s not the same but might be better to have after 1 or 2 drinks.

4 Likes

Hi @App1 welcome to our forum and I’m sorry you’ve had to join us. Alcohol doesn’t sit with me either . I had a couple on Christmas Day and fell asleep so early. Then next day I was wiped out so I just give up. Kind east wishes loraine

2 Likes

@Apple, penblwydd hapus to you. Well, if you like the odd tipple and you enjoyed one on your birthday, that sounds like a splendid day. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Aye, it does and it also can muddle already muddled pathways. I sometimes mix half a glass of alcohol free white with an alcoholic white. It provides the nose but a very low alcohol content, especially if I am watching a flick with old chums, and I know it will be a late night.

1 Like

I mix my wine with sparkling water. It makes chardonnay tate a little like champagne. I like the lemon and lime, but plain would be good too. Jeanne

3 Likes

Dont tell anyone Rups but I actually had 2 gin and tonics!

2 Likes

@Apple I cannot drink alcohol anymore, if I did partake in a glass of vino it brings on a seizure, plus my medication to control seizures states avoid alcohol. I have found some decent wines that have zero alcohol in. I also need to check food as well

1 Like

Hello Apple
I am just like you. I used to like a glass of red wine with a good meal. I asked my doctor if I could have a small glass on Christmas day to toast the King and also the NHS who has done so much for me. Yes but only with your meal was the reply, wow it was disgusting, tasted horrible and like you went straight to my head and made me giddy just after a few sips.
One way to look at it is, we will save money.
Hope your recovery goes on ok.

1 Like

I wasn’t a great drinker before the stroke and am even less of one now - makes me too dizzy, but I did enjoy some Baileys over Christmas

4 Likes

Hi i had my stroke in Nov '22 and i cant tolerate any alcohol at all , never really drank alot but had what i fancied as and when i did. Now i dont have alcohol at all , my food tastes and tolerance have changed too.

1 Like

TootieB. Strange isnt it? Something else stroke has taken away

1 Like

Was the same for me but things have settled over the last two years. Scrambled eggs is the only thing that is still not as was - it’s sweet!

Sweet scrambled eggs??!! Yuk!

1 Like

Really is! Hard to explain and understand at times