Alcohol after stroke

Hi
Yes I used to love my wine before my stroke.
Now can’t even touch it.
Really weird.
Hope you’re ok.
X

2 Likes

Breva - it’s very odd. Tried a gin and tonic on my birthday yesterday - absolutely fine! Weird

5 Likes

Happy birthday :birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday:

2 Likes

Hello,

Drink has always gone to my head, but since my stoke in October and fatigue it’s even worst now. I was so tired New Year’s Eve but my family had a party and I only had a few but was very drunk and don’t remember after 12 :weary: I did dance to old langs ein though. I am guessing I am going to have to be even more careful now. I was told alcohol could affect you 10x more now I have had a stroke. I am thinking of looking at some 0% alcohol alternatives. It’s not the same but might be better to have after 1 or 2 drinks.

5 Likes

@Apple, penblwydd hapus to you. Well, if you like the odd tipple and you enjoyed one on your birthday, that sounds like a splendid day. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Aye, it does and it also can muddle already muddled pathways. I sometimes mix half a glass of alcohol free white with an alcoholic white. It provides the nose but a very low alcohol content, especially if I am watching a flick with old chums, and I know it will be a late night.

1 Like

I mix my wine with sparkling water. It makes chardonnay tate a little like champagne. I like the lemon and lime, but plain would be good too. Jeanne

3 Likes

Dont tell anyone Rups but I actually had 2 gin and tonics!

2 Likes

@Apple I cannot drink alcohol anymore, if I did partake in a glass of vino it brings on a seizure, plus my medication to control seizures states avoid alcohol. I have found some decent wines that have zero alcohol in. I also need to check food as well

1 Like

Hello Apple
I am just like you. I used to like a glass of red wine with a good meal. I asked my doctor if I could have a small glass on Christmas day to toast the King and also the NHS who has done so much for me. Yes but only with your meal was the reply, wow it was disgusting, tasted horrible and like you went straight to my head and made me giddy just after a few sips.
One way to look at it is, we will save money.
Hope your recovery goes on ok.

2 Likes

I wasn’t a great drinker before the stroke and am even less of one now - makes me too dizzy, but I did enjoy some Baileys over Christmas

4 Likes

Hi i had my stroke in Nov '22 and i cant tolerate any alcohol at all , never really drank alot but had what i fancied as and when i did. Now i dont have alcohol at all , my food tastes and tolerance have changed too.

2 Likes

TootieB. Strange isnt it? Something else stroke has taken away

1 Like

Was the same for me but things have settled over the last two years. Scrambled eggs is the only thing that is still not as was - it’s sweet!

Sweet scrambled eggs??!! Yuk!

1 Like

Really is! Hard to explain and understand at times

That’s weird - watched the Panorama programme about Long Covid yesterday - I did feel sorry for the people affected but there are plenty of other conditions that have wierd, unpleasant side effects too

Shwmae @SimonInEdinburgh, are you sure you haven’t been having scrambled eggs during Easter?

Hmmm
Now there’s a thought
Judging by colour I think it’s just my taste buds. Mushrooms are also very sweet now.
Wine has gone back to ‘normal’ but I’ve noticed I prefer semi sweet reds like the ones available in Georgia and indeed almost like last November’s Beaujolais which was, unusually really good

2 Likes

There are a lot of alcohol free drinks now. Some better than others.
I really liked trying different beers, almost searching for the best beer. My top one was a Brewdog Happy Xmas which only came out at Easter, no not really, it was Christmas.
After the stroke I have continued the quest for best alcohol free beer and at the moment have settled on St Peters which is 3 bottles for 4 quid in Morrisons.
Anyone found their “best” beer ?

1 Like