Alcohol after stroke

Also enjoy “St Peters Without” and “Peroni” if you want a lager

Heineken 0% for me, its realky quite decent

I thought Drop Bear Beer’s alcohol free Bonfire Stout was excellent. I ordered it online because it isn’t available in my local shops.

2 Likes

Nigel
St peters hall was rescued from a ruin by a friend of ours. His window sold it to the folk that started the brewery!
I agree there’s are great af beers
The af wines should be reported to trade descriptions though - universally awfull

For beers lucky strike is a good lager for curry night :slight_smile: af Guinness a decent brew, several wheat beers are good eg erdinger, there was a good stout -galatic milk stout (I think) but can’t get it at the mo
None beat a Hobgoblin though (but its a friday treat - what day is it? :slight_smile:

Also worth saying ashi make an af and gluten and something else free that is implicated in gout. Af drinks can inflame gout as much as a claret! But the ashi ar beer is gout safe

One of my friends has recommended Guinness alcohol free saying it’s really good.
I have never really liked Guinness, much prefer Pale Ale, the more citrus the better. My missus bought me the Brewdog 8 pack alcohol free which I am working my way through. They just don’t seem to quite have the breadth of flavour as the alcohol versions.

Being in Bristol, cider is almost compulsory but not found anything yet.

In the past I did have a go a brewing my own. Beers, wine, cider. I also had an unsuccessful attempt at elderflower champagne. All went well to start with. Remembered to release some of the bottle pressure each day which builds up as it ferments …perhaps not enough it turned out. Went out for the day and came back home to find a plastic bottle (with the bottom blown out) had blasted a hole in the plasterboard ceiling. Only the bottom of the bottle was showing and there was elderflower champagne all over the utility room walls. Mrs P “suggested” in rather strong terms I didn’t try to make it again.

1 Like

I’ve had a few of those brewing mishaps. Stacked eight bottles of wild strawberry wine in the wine cupboard. Thought it had finished it’s fermentation, had a few balmy days, temperature rose, fermentation revived. Wine cupboard floor covered in a sweet layer of strawberry scented wine.

2 Likes

Perhaps for both of us Rups, it would have smelt nice :grin:

1 Like

The af Guinness is very good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aye it is. I had a can tonight, very pleasant. I shared a can with a friend of mine, I poured him half a glass, and me the other half. After about half an hour of chatting and drinking, I revealed to him it was alcohol free. He was surprised, and by a twinkle in his eye, betrayed? :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks gents, not tried af Guinness but will do after such recommendations.

I will toast you both when i have one!!!..
Bottoms up, cheers

Andy

2 Likes

I used to be a heavy drinker. That changed post stroke, I’d have the odd glass of red and an occasional g&t. Gradually, those occasional drinks became more frequent.

So on October 31st last year, totally out of the blue, I said to myself this glass of red will be my last. It was. I’m now 103 days alcohol free.

But, as others have mentioned, there are some good alcohol free drinks now. My favourite is Corona Zero. I cannot taste any difference.

So, after this chosen abstinence, you’d expect me to wax lyrical about my health improvement. In truth, it’s done bugger all! :joy:

5 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh try the MQUIGAN wines the shiraz tastes like a red wine even my brother whose a red wine drinker liked it the white is good too.

1 Like

Thnx for the heads up. I have a feeling I’ve tried some mcguigan

Gonna have a real one tonight :slight_smile: today’s the day before our wedding anniversary (& tomorrow is the day after it)

3 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh happy anniversary :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

I was concerned that my sense of taste may have changed. Yes, I’ve lost my attraction to cheese, and I used to enjoy certain sea foods like crab, mussels, tuna, and salmon… but, happily, no problem with the occasional Dalwhinnie. I wouldn’t abuse the privilege, but I’m grateful for the option of the odd dabble.

Thinks: I wonder what polar bear tastes like???

1 Like

I think Bob they would think the same about you

3 Likes

Oooh-errrr… You’re probably right. Shall we change the subject?

1 Like