About the Share your story category

Hi there, I had my stroke last September, 2021. It was my second stroke after a relativity minor stroke some time before. It was ordinary day and I was walking home, a few yards from my door, when I collapsed.

You will know the story about your stroke and your life. I’m interested to listen to your story about the stroke and your life.

I’m interested finding people to share with their stories with the stroke (and life) with me (and others?) in conversation. If you are interested my idea please me at hughknopf@rocketmail.com

My wife and I are both 83 years old. She had her stroke in December, 2020, almost coinciding with the start of Covid problems. She was moved to a rehab center about 100 miles from our home, following her initial hospital stay in our home town facilities. No sooner had she settled in to begin rehab when the center discovered that they had two patients with Covid in the facility. I made arrangements to pick her up the following morning, and that began our odyssey in isolation trying to deal with her weakness, nerve pain, and other manifestations. Later, we were to find that the stroke had also left her with non-epileptic seizures. About a month ago she started taking Keppra for the seizures - which has been effective - but she is still suffering from considerable pain in her left arm, left side paralysis, and left leg pain. I hope that the experience of others in the forum will be beneficial.

1 Like

Hello, I have been reading all of the stories and realize that I am not the only one who is struggling so much to accept,find hope, or be happy. I suffered a hemorrhagic thalimic stroke in May 10 of this yr, six months ago and while I initially made great strides going from paralyzed to walking, I am now dealing with really rigid,stiff muscles in the leg and shoulder/clavicle. No muscle relaxer has worked and I’m pretty much still isolating a lot because my left arm moves in an embarrassing way and I’m uncomfortable. I kept thinking that I could give 100*<% in therapy, try real hard and get back a lot. I just forced myself to walk 3 miles outside today but that renders me useless for awhile. I’m so inspired by people who can enjoy life despite deficits but I’m afraid I need more.

1 Like

Shwmae @Mbhope, glad you’ve made good progress during brain plasticity repair time. After six months, it’s common for a plateau to be reached, and it’s a good time to start thinking of longer term management goals. Three miles is brilliant, I couldn’t walk properly from one side of my kitchen to the other at six months! :smiley::woozy_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses. I’m still trying to find hope and appreciate reading about other peoples experiences.

I am wondering if anyone here experiences extreme leg tightness? I do get stretches/massages from pt but the intensity is such that I feel like there is a a steel trap squeezing me all the way down to my ankle. I tried resting it for a bit, taking nerve medication/muscle relaxers, all to no avail. I’m assuming that’s why the spacstity dr said it is post thalimic pain and there is no cure. :cry: I’m thinking I need a nuerologist who manages pain specifically. I went back to walking somewhat of a distance because it hurts no matter what.

Hi @Mbhope I had a small bleed in mid-May and have had the same issue with my affected side leg. Mine was mostly around the knee but went down to the ankle too. Others on th forum have also commented about a similar feeling, like their leg being strapped up with a tight bandage.

Mine has now gone although I still have neuropathic burning in my hand, foot and face (again all on my affected side).

I have been taking Pregabalin for a just over a month and it may be this that has helped the tight feeling.

Could you maybe ask your GP to try another drug to help
neuropathic pain as I believe there’s a few?

I hope you find something to help. :pray:

That is such great progress that you no longer feel like this. Maybe I should give gabapentin another try as I stopped after a few days of no relief. Muscle relaxers also did not touch this but I am open to any and all suggestions from those who recovered from this. :pray: Thank you.

Why not give it a try - I think they take a good few weeks to have any effect :pray:

I hate to sound whiny and ungrateful but how do some of you manage the grief for who you once where and motivate yourself to participate in new ways? Even though I can walk, it is still a tiresome effort and I’m reminded of this the moment I put my feet on the floor each day. Then I struggle with my affected arm and when add pain to the mix (which hopefully may be helped with a new appt for a pain Dr) it just seems like too much to enjoy anything. To me perhaps it’s deficits OR pain but both is just :rage:. I felt less like this in the initial stages of just weakness/paralysis but I know I’m not the only one. I just feel like maybe others have some coping mechanisms that I don’t.

Shwmae @Mbhope, it’s miserable at times, I guess with me, I haven’t looked back. I don’t subscribe to the “old me, new me” axiom. I see things as change or entropy, with fresh challenges. Adopt and adapt, someone wrote here on the forum, that’s been the ticket for my outlook. By virtue of this stroke, I have changed direction, sometimes I think for the better. It hasn’t been without its own daily nuisances and deeply, embedded pain and vileness. Not to mention anxiety and the like. I think it’s a unique impression given when we express ourselves on the forum, I once wondered if my symptoms were worse than everyone else, and then over time of reading people’s weekly concerns, I now perceive that we are all experiencing the ups and downs, and that, although, the degree of it is relative, it’s sort of on par, and we are just applying different coping mechanisms at different times.

When I am feeling positive, hope comes out of my ears. When I am feeling rundown and negative, I am absorbed trying to get out of the funk. I still do think that I have the opportunity now to forge a better brain, and a more cathartic and meaningful lifestyle, but times are tough when the symptoms are acute and applying the aforementioned is sometimes just too much effort.

Fortunately, my hobbies keep me preoccupied, and I look to the smallest of things for value and comfort. That’s my take on it anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you both for your feedback. I also, at times had hope coming out of my ears but that was before this stiffness and pain emerged. Maybe I do have to take the medicine longer but again no relief from multiple attempts. Also, I am not only in the mental health field, but do receive counseling myself, it just doesn’t feel like enough. IMy therapist is very emathetic but im thinking maybe this is a really specialized area of therapy and I probably receive more help by talking to survivors. Perhaps others cannot understand and I don’t find that comforting. Plus it’s the idea that Drs DON’T KNOW what will happen recovery wise which is frightening as hell. Again, this site provides some relief that I am not alone.

1 Like

Shwmae @Mbhope, it has dawned on me over the years, that it is almost impossible for someone who has not had a brain injury to wholly empathise or understand what it is like. This has been the root of some of my exasperation at times. Especially with neurological fatigue. A person can understand why one can’t lift a cup, if one’s hand is unable to do that, but cannot understand why a five minute task may completely deplete a person’s cognitive energy and perhaps even cause anxiety.

We can’t externalise brain injury like we can with another organ or extremity. It’s the seat of consciousness that has been disrupted. It’s a derailment of the id and ego. It’s a blot on the landscape. Be that as it may, I have personally found my own research into brain matters to be compelling. My sense of self has been completely broadened, as I have learnt more and more about the complexity of the brain. The idea of “recovery” is sometimes presented in a curative way, in that can be fixed like a fractured bone (of which I have recently had three now, ribs and shoulder), but the brain doesn’t heal in that way. It needs to be retuned, and even then it may not play the exact notes.

Aye, pain and rigidity dampen the whole process of working on getting the neurotransmitters back into sync. This can be neurological or it can be acquired. It makes things rather difficult to manage. So, our bodies can develop other issues because of the failure of the brain to manage that process adequately. As an example, disruption of motor neurone function may lead to muscle atrophy, and then muscle atrophy may lead to carpal tunnel. So, carpal tunnel becomes an acquired condition after stroke, even if those connections have resolved themselves by then. Or, there is a disruption of motor neurone function but no muscle atrophy and no carpal tunnel, but the symptoms may be the same. The latter requires treatment of the brain, the former, treatment of the wrist. Or treatment of the wrist and brain. Our lives are not plain sailing, that’s for sure.

It is a foggy journey forward and, the way I see it, quite difficult to ascertain because as we recover we age, and as we age we will experience natural physical and cognitive issues that we would have experienced if a stroke wasn’t part of our lifespan. These issues are compounded by brain injury but are not a result of it. Sometimes, the best we can do is to level out.

Before stroke, I was quite hermetic with only a few close friends. Now, I have quite a profuse social network, all stroke survivors :smile: I rather like my new friends, as we are all humbled, albeit, not in the best circumstance but there is a lot of good energy among us.

3 Likes

Sometimes I can’t help but feel like because my deficits are all motor/sensory I can’t appreciate the brain’s ability to heal as I have plateaued and am reminded as soon as my feet hit the floor. Before I could walk, I had something to work towards, now no matter how much I practice walking nothing takes away the super tight band and somewhat awkward gait feeling despite walking A LOT. Maybe gabapentin needs to build up to take affect but I do remember feeling a little odd when taking it so perhaps between my leg and shoulder I should just bite the bullet and start taking it.
Also,
@ anyone -how long has it been since your stroke and were you sort of positive about the stroke journey? When I thought I could AFFECT change I was MOTIVATED.So much so in the beginning. Now I feel lost. Just wish a pt/ot/Dr, etc would say, do this and it will get better. It’s just, take medicine. I am starting a new location for therapy that is supposed to be more “nuero” based so I’ll be asking questions there.

1 Like

Hmmm, my shoulder, I think has been fractured. It’s certainly not broken. The annoying thing is, that aside from the pain and now soreness, it has derailed my vestibular system. My brain was working on one structure which has changed due to my shoulder injury, making my body posture different. What a trial it has been. I am just looking forward to sleeping on my right but I have been rather proud of having slept on my back for the last week because, apparently, that is a good sleeping position and I normally can’t do it. Hope you are okay.

1 Like

Hi @Rups - wow! What an explanation you’ve written here, so clear and so true…we are all friends together fighting the same or similar issues …thank YOU!

Take care,

John

1 Like

Hi,

I wanted to share my story. I had stroke
July 2013

But sometimes we are unable to ascertain why this

happens. This is a rare kind of stroke that can be progressive in nature.

Power Electric Wheelchair + Uses a walking stick 4 legs and a crutch to walk

I have Aphasia

I had a Stroke

I also have verbal apraxia, which makes it difficult for me to say words.

Dystonia – a disorder that causes uncontrolled and constant painful muscle spasms.

I tend to forget what I need to do or remember, so I need writing materials to remind me.

I have trouble speaking, but I can understand most of what you say.

I get confused with complicated writing.

I need you to read out to me what has been written

Here is an article of my experience:

Hi Anna, welcome to our forum . So sorry to hear of your stroke at such a young age. You will find lots of help and advice on here. Another website you may find useful is differentstrokes.co.uk A UK charity providing a unique service for young stroke survivors. Good luck with your recovery.

Regards Sue

Hi,
I’m not used to using this site so bear with me. I just wanted to share my story in case someone out there can help me.

My husband had a severe stroke last July. He has no use in his right leg or arm. He is making a bit of progress with his leg though. He also has Aphasia and Apraxia. He mainly says yes, no and oh dear. On top of all this our house goes with his job, which he can’t do. This means I will have to find somewhere else to live that can take a hospital bed, commode, wheelchair etc. Someone did say if your house goes with your job and you have a stroke you can get help. No one seems to know. CIB are so hard to get hold of.

Well that’s all another story. What I wanted to know is has anyone out there got A and Aphasia. I’m finding it hard to keep him busy. He’s not into audio books. He will use the iPad do to a bit of spelling and word association. He also tries to do a bit of copy writing with his left hand. I’ve also tried games like connect four and scrabble but he’s not really into that either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
We are both in our early sixties.
The one good thing is he’s seems to be happy in himself. Oh we have also been out for a few drives in the car. I found some nearby places with lovely views. He enjoys that. We don’t go far as his leg seems to play up after a while. He is not keen to get out the car. Hopefully we are getting an electric wheelchair soon so perhaps he will then. I feel as though we just exist at the moment. I don’t go out as I can’t leave him on his own.
Thanks for reading

Claire

I appreciate your help, thank you. My husbands boss has been so good, but I know it can’t last forever. When my husband has a sleep I will look at everything on the list. Thanks again. It’s so hard asking for help

1 Like