5 days on

I was rushed to hospital on 7 March 2022 unable to speak and hardly move. Five days later and forever grateful to the paramedic who drove like Lewis Hamilton and the amazing professional of the Nurses, Doctors and Consultants at Furness General hospital, and my Wife for coming home for lunch just in time!!!
We have been through so many emotions in this short time and I’m sure will continue to do so, from being extremely grateful to being alive to thinking what if.
I know now we are in this for the long haul, like millions of people I am too young and too fit and healthy to have a stroke… Or so I thought being 51 and training 5/6 times a week.
My Mum suffered a stroke in 2020 and never recovered… But thanks to all those extraordinary people who helped and my wonderful family I will.
Phil

6 Likes

Phil, welcome to our community. The impact of stroke varies. You have done well, but I’m sorry your mum was so badly affected. The first year of recovery is a roller coaster. You have to learn to accept ‘the new you’, although you will continue to mourn the old one. Many of us get post stroke fatigue, about which very little is known. If it hits you, rest. Try not to overdo tasks anyway, but do exercise as much as you can. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Hi @Mullini , welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke. I’m sure you will find lots of helpful and friendly advice here.

You are very early days so should benefit from any physio/rehab a great deal over next few months.

Don’t get too despondent if/when you find changes to your emotions as that is very common and should settle in time.

You sound like you have a positive attitude and that will definitely help (stubbornness is also useful).

I wish you all the best with your recovery. You will need patience along the way but will find many of us have been through a similar experience so can help with any questions.

Good luck.
Mark

Morning @Mullini. I second what has already been said. This forum has been a game changer for me. I too am 51, never expecting to be here. I had my stroke last July as the result of a car crash with a stolen vehicle. Some days are so hard to get through but the honest and caring folk on here just get it. Anyone can be sympathetic but to know that you are amongst people who truly understand is priceless.
Wishing you all the best Phil, keep in touch, Julia

1 Like

Hi, welcome to our forum, although sorry you have suffered a stroke. The contributors on here are always ready with good advice and information.

Another useful website is Different Strokes, a charity providing information for younger stroke survivors.

Good luck with your recovery, sounds like you have a positive attitude.
Regards Sue

@Mullini welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your stroke. Sounds like you are a fighter & tht will help you deal with the road ahead. I think many of us find we he good and bad days but try & focus on the progress you’ve made when you’re feeling a bit lower than normal. I haven’t been a member of this forum.long but have found it inspirational and informative. I hope you do too. Good luck for your recovery journey. Ann

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support, unfortunately 7 days on I find myself back in hospital after another stroke not ideal recovery!!! But not the end of the world hopefully just a setback

@Mullini oh nooo. Sorry to hear you’re back in hospital. Wishing you a speedy recovery & hope you’re home again soon. Take care x

Thank you I’m taking hope due to the fact there is not the same rush as last time

2 Likes

@Mullini .Hi Phil, thinking of you and hope things get sorted/resolved soon. Julia

Hi @Mullini ,

I was so pleased to see your first post (just now as it happens) and as I was reading through the other reponses I was not so pleased that you had a relapse. I wish you all the best and would like to suggest something that you may already have thought of, which is if possible, try to be assertive with the hospital discharge team. I wonder if your first discharge may have been premature?

The reason for my suggestion is that my Mum was in hospital for nearly 3 months following her stroke and during that time we often saw returning patients i.e. they had been deemed fit for discharge (they used the term “medically fit”) only to suffer a second stroke.

It may be that you had chosen to be discharged, but we felt the hospital was “too keen” to discharge patients to free up beds.

For us there was at least two “false” discharge attempts that I recall whereby the day before or on the day of the discharge Mum picked up an infection and had to stay for a few more days. For us, this extra time in hospital may have been beneficial, but I guess each case is different and I am sure it is not a “one cap fits all” solution we are talking about here.

Wishing you all the best - stay strong.

ManjiB.

@ManjiB i would agree with your comments ref being firm with discharge team. I myself ended up back in hospital a week after being discharged and I’ve said to many people I think they discharged me too early first time. I think we just accept everything they tell us when we probably shouldn’t. Maybe because we are struggling to take it all in so just go along with it.

1 Like

They did plan to discharge a day earlier, however due to a hastily arranged mri I stayed, I have since been back twice with the same symptoms had the same scans and tests but have been told I haven’t had a stroke… This has confused me as to what is happening and what to do if I have the same symptoms again.

HI @Mullini welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your having a tough time at the moment hope things settle down and you get some answers from the doctors.

Thank you everyone, I’ve had a couple of trips back to hospital… And back fortunately!!! I keep having stroke like symptoms numbness weakness etc nearly every other day… Apparently this is normal…

Hi Phil so sorry to hear that you had to return to hospital again. I had a stroke in August 2021 I was able to speak but was paralysed down my left side. I was unable to walk or use my left arm. My left shoulder had partially dislocated and I had drop foot, so not in a good place.
I came home after 3 months of being in hospital I could walk a few steps with a Zimmer but was exhausted most of the time. The NHS provided physio and OT at home for a few weeks. I found a very good Nero physio privately and must say she has been amazing. I still go every other week and do my exercises she has given me.
I must say it was hard to come to terms with my disability when I first came out of hospital some days were harder than others, just felt absolutely exhausted but as time has gone on things have greatly improved.
I am now back driving my shoulder remains painful at times but now back in place I can now use my left hand but still a little weak and I walk independently with the use of a carbon fibre splint on my left leg.
Some days I do feel a little anxious when doing things again for the first time but once I have done it once I am fine.
My advice would be listen to what your body if it tells you to rest when you need too and try and keep up with exercises.
Good luck you can do this Dottie.

1 Like

Hi Lorraine no it hasn’t been mentioned I will look into it, I have an appointment in2 weeks so hopefully I’ll find out more soon then
Thank you
Phil

Hi Dottie, you have had such a difficult time compared to me! For me it’s the not knowing but I have found so much from people’s support on this forum
I hope to find some answers when I go back to the stroke clinic in a 2 weeks
Thank you
Phil

Hi Phil let’s hope you gets some answers in 2weeks time? Let’s us know how you get on…
Take care.

Will do thanks again