Why does fatigue hit me at the same time every day?

Hi Stewart-- I also remember the early days when a simple activity would knock me out for several hours. I also had to really limit visits as the emotional and physical effort was exhausting. I guess it is just so much work for the injured brain to accomplish these things. After 3 1/2 years, I am happy to say that now taking a shower doesn’t tire me any more than it did pre-stroke.( I count my blessings on that every day. ) But I still have to be careful not to schedule to much for one day, or I’ll pay for it. You’re right, If you feel tired, you have to sit or lay down and rest! I was noticing today that mid morning around 11:00( the time of day that I always feel drained) I had to really focus to keep walking straight. My brain was just tired. So I came home, ate lunch, rested, and I could walking straight without so much effort again… Go figure. I’m so much better now than I was 3 years ago that I know I will be even better 3 years from now. Hang in there. Best wishes also to you for 2022! Jeanne

Hi Jean , 3.5 years, 1 year more than me . Were you in hospital long ? What type of stroke, did you improve % each year & what problems. Tell me off if , if being nosey. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: David.

Hello @Stewart1, it’s almost textbook for so many of us. I recall showering being like going through an obstacle course, and exactly as you say, like a day’s work. I had to plan my shower days in advance. Now I can have one when I feel like it. And visitors too, conversations were incredibly exhausting, now I look forward to them (unless I am having a bad day). Often pushing too far is only seen in hindsight, when I crash, I realise I have stretched my brain capacity a bit too much, but it’s hard to predict at times what is going to cause that. I tend to get caught up in things, and then only afterwards I realise that was the cause of it. And, of course, it is not only active things that do this. Too much time listening, watching, thinking, and reading can amount to the brain needing time off as, say, going to the supermarket.

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to you Stewart, may you safely and jollily step over into 2022.

Jeanne

Good to hear from you.

Learning coping mechanisms and strategies is such an important part of being able to cope, and it sounds like you’re well accomplished at recognising the signs and doing what is necessary to avoid ‘crashing’. I, too, find it of huge benefit to ‘count my blessings’. On a purely mundane level, this is a great help with attitude, allowing us to feel gratitude for what we can do. Additionally, though, it helps avoid the danger of ‘downward spiral’ thoughts which are so counter-productive and sap our energy. I have, after all, so much for which to be thankful!

I well recall the day when fatigue eased off to the point where it gave way to tiredness. (Many won’t understand the distinction). I found myself doing things that would deliberately make me tired, knowing that it would not descend into fatigue!

I still face tiredness, especially when hosting visitors and suchlike. When multiple senses are being used in an activity, that too can be tiring and can affect the balance, etc. I even have to tell myself to breathe more deeply when concentrating on a DIY-type task, as the ‘default’ shallow breathing is completely inadequate, but no longer changes up automatically! (Now that really does sound silly!)

Onwards and upwards! Very best wishes for 2022 and richest blessings

Stewart

Hi Rupert

Thanks for your response.

I, too, find visitors so very tiring, and the concentration required to maintain conversation over a sustained period can be taxing. (My middle daughter has just left after vising for a week…) I am delighted to say, though, that the fatigue, for me, did eventually give way to tiredness, which, is, of course, much easier to cope with. When this transition first took place, I found myself doing things that would deliberately make me tired, just because I knew that it would not descend into fatigue!

I can also relate the the ‘sensory overload’ you describe. Even Zoom meetings can produce this as I try to concentrate on the facial expressions and nuances as well as what is being said.

A’ the very best, mon, for a graun new year; the verra best o wishes for 2022!

Kind regards an richest blessins

Stewart

I get hit with fatigue 2 hours after I wake up in the morning also. I can sleep for 2 hours. When I’m working I have to wait until noon and I sleep through my lunch hour. And some days I can sleep all day. Only 7 months out from my stroke so I hope it improves!

1 Like

Hi David- No, you’re not being nosey. The more we can learn from one another, the better. I had an ischemic stroke August 2018 brought on by afib. I was in the hospital 3 1/2 weeks. My left side was completely paralyzed. I drank thickened water at first, but after a week could swallow ok and my face didn’t droop. I had speech therapy in the hospital and could talk well by the time I went home. In hospital I had therapy 3 times a day for an hour. (tiring) Had PT and OT 2 times a week for 4 months after going home. (tiring)Had tub transfer and toilet support for a few weeks. Walked a few steps with a walker for a few weeks. Then moved to a quad cane. Then a regular cane–maybe 300 steps a day. Lost the cane and began short walks, increasing my steps by a 100 or so every few days. Over the period from the time I began to walk, it took me about 3 years to build up to walking 2 miles a day-- which is 1/2 mile more than I walked before the stroke. (It really tires me, but I do it anyway.) I had weird symptoms for many months, years. I couldn’t wear a bra, as the band around my chest made me feel like I was suffocating. My left leg would go into muscle spasms at night, so I couldn’t get to sleep. I tried so many things, but the only thing that alleviated that was CBD oil under the tongue. (The nurses had told me about it in the hospital, but it couldn’t be prescribed as it’s not FDA approved. My GP and cardiologist Okayed it, but couldn’t prescribe it, so I bought it on line and paid for it. Gradually the spasms let up, and now only occur about once every couple of months or so. I was always bothered with a yukky feeling and a cloudy mild headache and fatigue that hits about 10-11 am, but I have some days now where that doesn’t happen and I feel good. So, I figure that may be that’s beginning to ease off like the other things. IS THIS TOO MUCH INFORMATION?? Well, that’s my story. I’m glad to anywer any questions if it helps anyone. Hope you are doing well, David. Jeanne

1 Like

Hi Jeanne , thanks for sharing, I agree info, helps others, I believe lots read , but may not answer. 2.5 years ago , aged 61 cerebellar stroke .ABSOLUTELY NO IMPROVEMENT :joy: . FATIGUE, every day .Mobility, walking stick , rollator, with seat. ( bought cheap, thinking short temporary use , mistake! ) find very useful, now want to upgrade it . Second hand ,slow, small scooter, my wife , can lift into car boot. Really thought this would be a game changer , get me mobile. Biggest disappointment! Scooter fine , but made me realise, see people whizzing around on them , probably NOT ,with brain damage? I can only, manage 1/2 hour, brain almost shuts me down, sensory overload. Now realising, probably not short term, have decided on easy access shower room . Also treated myself to Samsung tablet, POSS WORTH MENTIONING, I am vat exempt, quiet surprised, they refunded this ( helps me communicate , I am terrible on telephone, but email OK. ) New year :sparkles: would be great to have some improvement, but also so GREATFULL, didn’t have poss alternative :wink: . Good talking David.

An easy access shower room sounds like a good idea to me. That is something that I would have liked even without having a stroke-so easy to use. I think we’ll get one eventually as time goes by. Smart to get an upgraded rollator-- ease of use and quality can make a big difference in one’s experience. I can understand how “people whizzing around” can be exhausting to the injured brain. Did you ever have much physical therapy? You mentioned getting about with a walking stick. Are you able to increase your steps gradually to build up stamina, or is it too much? Dealing with stroke recovery doesn’t seem to be short term for most of us, but that doesn’t mean you won’t continue to improve. The brain doesn’t stop its rewiring at a certain point. It will continue as you use it. Just like taking up learning a musical instrument. The brain can rewire for that at any point in time. You will be doing better a few months from now than you are today. Keep your spirits up! I’d use an emoji here, but my computer can’t seem to do it. If I click on a happy face I just get the words “happy face”. I have an email in to Stroke Guide, but have not heard back yet about how to fix it. Take care. Jeanne

I was the opposite way round I would reach 14:00 and then i had to have a sleep ( something i have never done!) afterwards im fine but 14:00 my “wall” and couldnt go no further that lasted about 7 weeks and then returned to my normal grumpy self as i had to return back to work because of not getting any benefite or help (as always!)…
neillypooes X

1 Like

Jeanne, good speaking. David.

neillypooes X-Thanks for responding. You sound like you are healing quickly. I am glad for that. If that extreme fatigue only lasted 7 weeks and you are now your " normal grumpy self", that’s a good thing! Ha Ha

Hello Jeanne, it has been an interesting thread to follow and everyone’s comments give me more confidence in and understanding of my stroke recovery.
I was interested in your comment on CBD. I began taking it a couple of years before my stroke for arthritis pain, as a mood enhancer, and an aid to better digestion. I found that it improved all of those, and just generally improved my quality of life. When an ischemic stroke turned life upside down 8 months ago I was prescribed Clopidogrel, among other meds. I was not asked about any supplements I might be taking. I recently looked at the DDIs (drug to drug interactions) of my meds with CBD, and find that it and Clopidogrel should not be taken together as they both use the same enzyme in the liver for conversion. This results in the CBD lowering the efficacy of Clopidogrel .
So the dilemma is do I continue taking something which improves my mood and lowers pain, making day to day life much easier but puts up the risk of another stroke by its affect on the blood thinning med? At 82 I find quality of life is of more importance than longevity…… but another stroke is not a cheerful thought. :roll_eyes:
Assessing and choosing the balance of risks is an interesting challenge!
Virginia

Hi Virginia-- I would try to find a way to not have to choose. Ask your doctor about it–if there is something you can take instead of clopidogrel that won’t interact with CBD. I have taken Elequis and low-dose aspirin since my stroke with CBD when needed. I checked with my GP and my Cardiologist–and both said it was ok. Also, maybe the use of CBD with clopidogrel may not be a big factor if you only need to use it once in a while. For example: They say not to eat grapefruit with Elequis as the grapefruit can interfere with Elequis. But my cardiologist said, "Well, just don’t drink a lot of grapefruit juice, and when you eat grapefruit only have one serving maybe once or twice a week, or don’t take the two things at the same time–space it out by an hour or so. There may be ways and ways of doing things. Ask your doctor. :slightly_smiling_face: Jeanne