😩 tiredness

Hi first time on here. I had a TIA 7 months ago, lost all co ordination and balance. Just returned to work and oh my the tiredness is overwhelming. Is this normal :thinking:

5 Likes

Yes !

But getting back to work so quickly isn’t so well done you .

Now you have arrived welcome :hugs:

We’ve put some things oft said in the welcome post click the blue text

It has a particular little section on fatigue and if you search through the forum you’ll find it a very very big topic amongst us all

Ciao
Simon

5 Likes

@Farmlady23 welcome to the forum but sorry you had a TIA. Well done on getting back to work so quickly. It took me 18 months but yes I agree the tiredness is overwhelming. I think it is pretty normal but hopefully will improve in time.

Did you have any reasonable adjustments put in place? If not try asking for some. I had an occupational health referral done which recommended all sorts of things & to be honest I couldn’t manage without them.

Best wishes

Ann

5 Likes

Hi Ann
Yhank you ever so much your reply has helped me. My employer has put me on 50% of my hours work is easy but oh my this fatigue !
Its only been a week so im hoping it will get better xx

4 Likes

@Farmlady23 i started back on 9 hrs a week & built from there. I am now 6 months on but still not back to full hrs. Just take your time, have regular breaks & most importantly listen to your body. The 1st month I was back i hadn’t a clue what I was doing. Took me ages to get my head into the work space.

You’re doing well & I’m sure it’ll improve in time xx

4 Likes

Thank you for your response. Im on part time for 9 weeks then work want me back full time. I was expecting this so i will soldier on, x

5 Likes

Shwmae @Farmlady23, a TIA is temporary but it is a warning sign, I hope that you have been administered the best medication for your circumstance and that you are monitoring the reason for it. Aye, neurological fatigue is almost certain as your brain is healing the damage done by the absence of blood to that area, it is a good idea to let it heal itself. So, don’t overdo things. A TIA will heal but it isn’t like having a sprained ankle.

6 Likes

Thank you for your response, it makes sense and that what im feeling is normal. Gives me encouragement to carry on. X

4 Likes

@Farmlady23

I echo the comments welcoming you to the forum. I find it a very supportive and welcoming place, it really helps me.

I had 2 (possibly 3) strokes, the last one in February 2023. I have made a really good physical recovery, which I’m grateful for, my biggest issues now are fatigue and anxiety. The fatigue has improved and I’m hopeful it will improve further - so there is hope. I think it’s about learning about the new you, and how to pace yourself - which I’m still struggling with often. I was lucky to have taken early retirement last year, and I honestly think I would struggle to work now, but maybe I could with adjustments if I needed to.

Keep hanging in there, things do improve - and keep posting in the forum. You’ll always get wise words of advice (as you already have) and lots of support.

Cheers

Nigel

6 Likes

Hi there and welcome, similar to yourself I had 2TIA’s nearly 3yrs ago. I had the fatigue in my first year post stroke but that thankfully went during that time. Oh I still get tired but I put that down to age than stroke fatigue, I’m 61 and retired, but I’m sure I could still work if I needed to. So you could very well overcome the fatigue too :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. I was told to expect fatigue but fidnt tealise it would be this hard. I know it will get bettet and its a case of going with it.

2 Likes

Hi, I had my stroke in April this year followed by surgery to clear my blocked arteries, I’m recovering well physically but like you i.I’m really struggling with the awful fatigue. I’m fortunate that I retired last year so going back to work isn’t an issue but I struggle with doing normal daily stuff and I get very frustrated :triumph: by it.I know it will improve and I need to be patient x

5 Likes

Thank you. So glad that im not on my own x

6 Likes

I wanted to say hello as well. And oh, the fatigue! I am not back to work yet and it has been just over two years for me. Each of our strokes is different, but seems almost all of us have or have had the extreme fatigue after what would left us unfazed before. I have been taking a break from welcoming new people and replying to many posts because I have a tendency to wear myself out just looking at the computer, let alone getting my brain to put my thoughts in order. I hope you will find this forum as helpful and friendly as I have, and that I will ‘see’ you around from time to time. I hope your fatigue will pass soon, as you find the proper balance in your life.

7 Likes

interesting

Think I might start a topic on this theme…

(Can’t do it right at the moment cuz I’ve got draft in progress so have to post that first)

2 Likes

It gets a bit addictive doesn’t it, I do a few days on and a few days off. I know when I’ve been on here too long because my eyes cross, the fingers of my right hand start tripping over each other and I have a brain squeeze. And there’s nothing worse than finding a post I really want to answer when I’m in that state. Because I have to edit so much more so the reply takes 10 times longer to do :confounded: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Just to flag this aspect of a stroke.
This is when you have reduced breathing or no breathing for a period when asleep. This is likely to be very different from activity created fatigue.

“The prevalence of sleep apnea is high in stroke patients—estimated to be between 50% and 70%.4 The most common type of sleep-disordered breathing found after stroke or TIA is OSA. It may predate the stroke, worsen during the acute stage, and persist after the acute phase”

6 Likes

It helps loads on here, knowing im not on my own x

5 Likes

The physicalnside is fine, but its hard when your used to being active, demanding job, and bam this fatigue hits you. I will carry on and get through it

5 Likes

@Farmlady23

Please do!! absolutely but don’t push yourself to do too much please.

As load of others have said listen to your body and take rest when you need to! If after 9 weeks you are not ready you are not ready and you don’t need to worry about any pressure because that does not matter. what matters is you!!

Keep cool.

Kieran :polar_bear: :wink:

Here is a picture of a polar bear resting to cheer you up

Polar Bear Sleeping - Polar Bear Facts and Information

4 Likes