TIA diagnosed...but now they don't know. Leg weakness

Hi everyone. Two weeks ago I had a strange spell after work. I had just walked the dog and was feeling fine, chatting on the phone, when suddenly I became confused and light headed, then experienced tingling in my lower body and hips and felt my legs would not support me. I ended up on the floor for about half a hour, unable to get my words out, my husband wanted to take me to emergency but I felt weirdly calm, if detached, and didn’t want to go. The feeling passed and I fell asleep not long after. The next day I felt terrible but worked from home, struggled to write emails and answer questions, words getting mixed up, felt unsteady on my feet. I went to the doctor who found that I was unbalanced on one side so she sent me to emergency.

I spent 15 hours there, had CT scans (clear), and then was sent home with diagnosis of TIA and clopidogrel and follow up appointment with TIA clinic. I was so shocked as I am healthy and don’t have high blood pressure, I’m 50 but I have a fairly young child and generally felt well. I do have a stressful job and in the morning of that day had become very stressed at my crazy boss, but we’d resolved it and I had calmed down. In the hospital they found that my left leg was weak, but nothing terrible.

Over the next few days my left leg was still very weak, e.g. I was walking in a weird way, almost like my leg wasn’t fully under my control, and couldn’t climb stairs properly, also just exhausted. I kept writing the wrong word in my emails, etc and everything just felt difficult. A week after the incident I had an MRI and the TIA clinic said there was nothing there. They tested my leg a lot and found it was weaker than my right leg. For this reason, they said it can’t have been a TIA, and I should go off blood thinners and can drive again. But they didn’t give me any possible explanation for what has happened.

I’m relieved it was not a small stroke and this should be good news. But overall, it was stressful to be told I had a TIA, and then told I didn’t, with no explanation, and I am a bit scared that actually it was a TIA. I do drink too much so have cut right back to almost nothing - didn’t drink for 10 days as just felt too blah. Also I’ve cut out ibuprofen, just in case, as I took too much of that. I am in Australia, but I saw on a UK stroke website that people sometimes do feel an ongoing loss of mobility afterwards and I can’t shake the feeling that it was something that happened to my brain, even though it left no sign.

Two weeks later, my left is almost back to normal but I still feel tired and not quite right…my bloods, e.g. iron, were normal though, A bit scared about it happening again e.g. when I am driving.

Just wondering if anyone else was diagnosed with TIA and did have ongoing limb weakness?

Or if anyone had similar and ended up being diagnosed with something else?

Thanks so much for listening!

2 Likes

Hi @Bunshine welcome to the forum. You’ve certainly had something!

If my TIA had stopped at just the one, I’d have been in the same boat as you. But my second TIA came hot on the heals of the first and it’s now taken me the best part of 2½ years to get back to near normal.

TIA’s don’t show up half the time so I wouldn’t let them leave you in limbo like that until you do get to the bottom of it. Ask for a second opinion, go back to your GP and discuss the possible risk of stopping your blood thinners. If it was a TIA you could have another one any time, the next one could be a full blown stroke which you won’t come back from! You’ve been diagnose once with TIA, your symptoms indicate TIA, they can’t just take that back without very good reason or a suitable alternate diagnosis, that’s russian roulette with your life!

I’m sorry if I sound overly dramatic, but having had 2 TIA’s in the space of 15mins, I would rather be honest than pussyfoot around in an attempt not to scare you.
TIA’s are strokes or warning of imminent stroke, as my Consultant put it me. They can strike anyone at any time healthy or not. If you ever have one again, you call 999/Emergency services…not your GP, and get directly to A&E, and you must do the same if it ever happens again!

Good Luck, I wish for the very best of comes for you, take care. :people_hugging:

4 Likes

Hello @Bunshine
Welcome to the forum .

A TIA is by definition transient. You may well had a TIA and there wouldn’t be anything to be seen on an MRI. a CT is even less likely to picked it .

The symptoms you describe and the lingering after effects are consistent with what many of the users of this forum report and is often labelled as something neurological. However I suggest a label is less important than lowering your risk factors for a repeat so that should involve checking you for a hole in the heart ( surprisingly common!), Afib, sticky blood from things like pre-diabetes or high cholesterol etc etc. There are a lot of folk here who were fairly healthy so risk factors aren’t always related to actually events.

If you read through the posts you’ll find that being fatigued scrambling your words and the other things are fairly typical of some of the after effects of a stroke. If a transient effects over time you’ll get full recovery. Time is generally months but can be years. If there was damage caused it isn’t transient, then some deficits will remain and or show up in time. you’ll have to work on neuroplasticity to build capabilities - again it is a journey measured in months or years.

There’s a welcome post here that signposts the things we’ve been finding We keep saying to new arrivals and signpost a few basics.

PS there’s an online Australian hosted zoom meeting which you can find by searching the internet for the Amiz recovery and you’ll turn up Amy’s website Instagram account etc etc. She’s plugged into other Australians

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

@Bunshine hello & welcome to the forum. I agree with the others & tecommend you go back to your GP to get some answers. You might need to be pushy as they can sometimes try & fob you off.

Misdiagnosis does sometimes happen so I would consider asking for a 2nd opinion. If you’re still experiencing symptoms, whatever the cause, you should push for some more tests. Sometimes though there just isn’t an obvious answer.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann

4 Likes

I’m so sorry this happened to you.
I understand, my tests and scans were all normal but the emergency department doctors diagnosed TIA on August 2 after going through a long list of other questions and possibilities. Then my family doctor insisted at a follow up that she doesn’t think I had a TIA but referred me to neurology anyway. She insists I’m too young at 48. I was left wondering if I overreacted, didn’t answer something correctly, etc. Then I had another ‘incident’ nearly identical on 18 August. I’m in the US and will likely not be able to see a neurologist for months as they are booked so far out for appointments.

My left arm is still feeling…odd? I guess that’s the word. It’s just not quite right, as you said. I’m also feeling emotional and can’t pinpoint a reason, though I’m sure worry is part of it. I’m very concerned about having another TIA! I’m a teacher and the stress of work will be back on me shortly as my school year begins next week. I worry that something could happen with that extra stress. Maybe I overthink things?

Keep asking your questions and advocating for yourself. The lovely folks here have advised me of that! I’ve been taking notes daily about how I’m feeling and such so I won’t forget details. Best wishes to you!

4 Likes

Hi @EmeraldEyes, thanks so much for your response. Sorry to hear about your experience, that sounds awful! But it’s a very helpful insight. I will definitely talk to my regular doctor who has been away on leave and get a second opinion. And if it does happen again I will know what to do! I do hope that your newfound “normal” feeling stays. Take care

3 Likes

Hi Simon, thanks so much for your reply. I am really glad I found this forum. You’ve given me some things to discuss with my doctor. I’m definitely interested in lowering the risk! and I will look at the welcome post too and Aus forum. Thanks again, take care.

3 Likes

Thank you @Bunshine I consider myself one of the lucky ones, there are far worse off than me. And that’s why I hope you get to the bottom of this. As it is, and all being well, your leg weakness should improve over the next 6mths. But I’d stay on the blood thinners until you get a some clarity, they might just save your life.

3 Likes

Hi @estowz , oh that all sounds so stressful! It’s very unhelpful to hear things like you are too young, and make you think you are overreacting- this could make you underreact when you should be reacting! E.g. I should have gone in to the ED at the time it happened but I didn’t want to overreact…as though not being able to get up off the floor for half an hour is normal! When I arrived at emergency I was reprimanded by the first nurse I saw as he looked at my notes and said, oh, you are probably just anaemic (which I’m not) and basically told me I was going to waste the doctors time - even though it was actually my doctor who sent me. The other doctors were great and took it seriously and I felt like an idiot for not going in the night before. Hard to get it right! Anyway… I relate to the “odd” feeling in your arm, it’s hard to describe but you know when it’s not right. It’s hard not knowing what has happened. Whatever is going on, I am sure that trying not to stress too much is important though I know with a stressful job that is hard. Make sure you tell your work what has happened so they can be understanding if you need a break. Thanks again for your message and advice. Good luck, take care of yourself.

4 Likes

Viz a vis the “too young” pronouncement from the some doctors the youngest stroke survivor I’ve heard of in a documented medical report was 16 weeks pre birth.

Anybody who’s been told “too young” by their doctor should ask the doctor to go and do their homework because strokes are a very common cause of mortality and of significant impact of quality of life and anybody who claims to be a professional at the sign posting and triage level which is what GP is basically should have a proper understanding.

Ciao

5 Likes