Thought this would never happen!

Oh no, I’m not saying they should just lay down their stick and walk no matter the risks.

It’s just that the brain has now formed this new bad habit, of only being able to walk with sticks. The body now carries and holds itself to a different posture and gait compared to pre stroke days and that’s all going to have to be reversed. Hence the meaning behind the term of mind over matter, you have to break out of these new habits learnt. And the only way to do that is to do lots of walking around without the sticks in order to break those habits.

Plenty of chair based exercises to strengthen the legs will help reduce the nervous wobbly legs and boost your confidence in walking. A good one to help you feel more grounded and steadier on your legs is to wear ankle weights as you do laps around the house…it’s an exercise to strengthening the legs at the same time :wink: I know a few women at my strength & balance class who use ankle weights to walk laps around the hall, they don’t even carry their walking sticks with them while they do it. And one lady also uses wrist weights particularly for her stroke arm.

And if you can get yourself to any sort of fitness classes for your age group and ability, that certainly boosts your confidence tenfold. Being part of a group with similar issues helps break down those barriers you build around you post stroke.

You may never be 100% steady but you’ll form new tricks to counter that. For instances, 2 years on I still have some balance issues. So at the gym, when doing free floor exercises, I’ll keep a wall to my back for any bending at the waist stretches, or I’ll hold a weights bar like a staff to do knee bends…at home I’d use the sweeping brush. I’ll never walk around with both hands full, I always like to keep one hand free and clear. I also never keep my hands in my pockets, particularly walking around outside. Swinging the arms when walking also help keep your balance.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. I have read enough of your posts to know you weren’t suggesting any such thing, but someone who did not know your helpful nature may not have understood. You are also quite careful to be clear in your words. I likely worried for no reason. I am only cautious with walking due to the low vision. Excited to start vestibular manipulation therapy in a few short hours. I hope it will help so I can drive again.

2 Likes

Keep it up @Apple :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Thank you DeAnn, don’t ever hesitate to question, it’s good to question if something’s not clear, sometimes I’ve gone back and edited because for that reason myself. I also have aphasia from my stroke, so I sometimes struggle with my words. Sometimes I even skip words between thinking and typing them, I’m forever editing, back spacing and deleting :confounded: Which is partly why I end up saying so much…why say it in one sentence when half a dozen would do, sort of thing :wink:

2 Likes

@Apple that’s fantastic, next it will be 45 steps, as @Bobbi always says keep on keeping on

3 Likes

Well done you every small step in what ever you do in post stroke recovery becomes a massive achievement so celebrate your massive achievement now onwards up wards each day step at time congratulations on your achievement and hope to hear more achievements from you as time goes on all best take care stay safe Kaz61

4 Likes

Congratulations and keep going

3 Likes

@GeorL welcome to the forum. Ypu’ll fond it a friendly place yo be. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Did you wear a splint on your lower leg? X

1 Like

Hi Tricia. No I don’t wear a splint. Ve had a problem with my foot turning over and tried a couple which made no difference. Having another later this summer but foot has been better recently so hoping I might not need it!

2 Likes

What’s that? Curious?

2 Likes

@Allyshort just popping by to say hi & welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Well done Apple. It certainly takes time, and a lot of sweat and tears.

2 Likes

Apple, i use a device on my left foot, called a foot lifter, this stops my ankle from going over. Look it up, and see what you think, i had mine from the rehabilatation ward in the hospital.

3 Likes

Crick - thank you. Will jave a look

2 Likes