The 539 Steps

I believe you, Derek,

We seem to run parallel lives, just on opposite sides of the pond. The weather is also on a mirror path. I totally understand and respect the concept of the sweet spot. That is what I usually aim for. I’m sure the Hill did make you stronger… in the long run. The short term impact was, of course, devastating for you. Not having a trusted team makes it so much harder, I would imagine. Maybe you can find a counselor? I used to have one. It was like holding up a mirror to myself. Totally worth it. I’ll hang in, and you hang in, and we’ll get there together !!
Big hug, ciao, Roland

2 Likes

wise wise wise. Hard to do, because the repair journey is such a major one that the mind & body can only see the big picture in little chunks. To take it all in at once would have caused me major trauma. Now that I’ve made considerable progress I can see that I was in worse condition than I had originally realized

3 Likes

I’m using your Chi or however you want to call it to channel my inner energy to pack! Everything else nearly sorted but thank the great polar bear in the sky that JP is back to help tomo before I go!!!

It’s hard when a 1 night journey turns into 4 because of engineering work on the trains. But I don’t get out much and so 6 more children than I was expecting?!?!

My polar bear stash is depleted but I have not used @pando 's socks - yet… :rofl: :rofl:

And I’m ridiculously anxious and excited - however my BP is a mere 150/95 and I am watching darts and will deal with it tomo.

Thanks for always cheering me up with your humour and stoicism Roland @pando

K GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear:

@Sass

Can’t wait!!!

5 Likes

Wow, you’re off to Jimmy’s Park - have fun & hope you return with happy/settled memories

2 Likes

It is very very difficult for me as you know mate but thanks to you and @SimonInEdinburgh and @Pinch and @Sass and my girl @DeAnn and many others @ashleyhk38 @j.p.mac

It is a lot easier so I thank you all really.

Could not have the mental strength to do this without you.

I guess I should point out that organisation is not the issue - 1 day - 3 days - 4 days - who cares. That’s the easy bit. The mental challenges are much more severe

K :polar_bear: :wink:

I’m going to eat this:

sod a few spoons

4 Likes

You only like polar bears and three other people. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Me - I only like polar bears. Sorry. LOL.

3 Likes

I really don’t know what to say, either to YOU, or to the fantastic people egging you on and suppling distant support.
You are a giant among men - and I don’t say that lightly, or flippantly. You have drawn on reserves of determination I can only dream of. But you DO inspire me, and long may you do so. I wish you a, hopefully, more comfortable journey in the not too distant future… And if it’s not, I’m sure you can deal with it.
Fond wishes,
Bob Q.

4 Likes

Thank you Bob,

I think I’m an ordinary, average person, but my team disagrees. They are wonderful, as is this group on my stroke forum, too, with folks like yourself encouraging me. Today I can feel the weight of my forearm more clearly, and my pole-lifting exercises went without a glitch… usually the first attempt is painful. Today for the first time lifting my arms was painless, just like my good side. Best wishes, and good luck,
Roland

6 Likes

No, Roland, thank YOU.

5 Likes

Wow not that’s impressive

K :two_hearts: :polar_bear: :wink:

7 Likes

By the way All, I participated in this and I think it’s a good study if anyone is interested.

It’s over the phone and zoom and the chap is nice.

K :polar_bear: :wink:

5 Likes

THAT’S WHAT I WANT TO HEAR :100: :heart:

All is well, getting better for Roland!

Haola! Haola! Haola!

5 Likes

Yes, Roland inspires many of us. Many people in his situation would have given up long ago. Like many of you, he’s been through hell. He has a determination to heal, and he is showing us that he will get better.

My mother gave up after her stroke. I don’t blame her; I wish she would have tried, but she was just too mentally ill to improve. She was in her 70s and lost her will to live. Strangely, my mother made a 80-90% recovery, physically-speaking (walking, hand use, balance, reflexes, etc.). A lot of that was spontaneous recovery seen in the first 6 months to a year. She made some strong efforts to walk again, but that was it. Also, she reluctantly did exercises for her hand, which helped her hand come back to 80% or more.

All of you can get better - you just have to have determination and a spirit of deep love.

5 Likes

So we’re celebrating again :smiley: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::partying_face: :partying_face: :laughing:

So maybe all that suffering you went through the other night was the precursor to these improvements you are experiencing now. Oh I am so pleased for you, this is truly positive progress :smile:

6 Likes

Thank you @EmeraldEyes and @Matthew1798 ,

It’s irrefutable progress, these 9 months.
I think many people with serious strokes have fairly quick return of sensation and proprioception, but motor functions of the arm in particular lag behind. I was in the very opposite camp, somehow, and I am held back by the lack of proprioception and sensation, still. Luckily progress is completely ongoing, so these episodes really serve to motivate me and keep me upbeat.

I am seriously challenged, at times. I imagine your late departed Mother, Matthew, was exhausted by the long slog and the unforgiving demands a stroke makes on all of us. There are no short cuts, and every inch of progress has to be earned in full. The stamina to keep chipping away is considerable. Spontaneous progress will happen along the way, but we can’t just sit around waiting for it to happen. At least, I cannot. It is an exhausting condition, and adding twenty years to my stroke would wipe me out. I’m sure you did all you could. You must be an amazing caretaker already, Matthew… where are you from? (forgive me for prying)

Emerald, I know you follow me closely, and you have a similar relentless drive. Your support has counted for a lot, and I am deeply grateful. Thank you for all that you two share and the wonderful input you both give to this forum.

Ciao, ciao, Roland

5 Likes

@Nigelglos

Hi there Nigel,

About my eyes; it’s still an ongoing problem. The eye hospital, here in Bristol, were the first to diagnose Blepharitis, then a few months later, MGD (Meibomian gland dysfunction). They suggested to change my eyelid wipes to Blephademodex, and use my heated eye mask ( heats the oil in the glands a little ). On my own initiative I bought i-drops MGD eye drops to recreate the missing/failing lipid layer. Night time was still a struggle, so I booked a private ophthalmologist at the spire hospital last Thurs. I didn’t like anything he said or did, which was to change my eye-drops, and add a Gel for the night. The wipes were good, he said. I feel the gel helps mildly, and the eye drops are reasonable… he said I can add up to 6 drops a day. However, my wife and some friends suggested I see another ophthalmologist next Thurs, at Nuffield, Clifton (also private appointment at £265 for the consultation). I’m curious to see if he repeats the last chap, or has a different story / strategy. My Chinese Dr. is adamant it’s a consequence of my stroke. Others say it’s nothing to do with the stroke. I can look up the name of the current eye drops. What I am reluctant to do is use the heated eye mask because my eye gets very hot. Heat tries to escape via the eye so I rest a cool slice of cucumber on the eye. Hope that helps.

ciao, Roland

3 Likes

Hi Roland!

I’m from Pennsylvania in the US. I’ve also lived in many different countries, such as Australia, France, UK, etc.

My father and I were 24/7 caretakers for my mother after her stroke. My 77 year-old father barely slept for an entire year because my mother kept him all night. We cared for her for almost 2 years .As I said, she recovered marvelously on a physical level for someone in their early 70s; however, the stroke got her mind (nothing we could do). She didn’t care that she could walk with the best of them for someone her age, or that she could use her affected hand almost like normal. Also, the fact that she had her memory, balance, reflexes, and no pain…she didn’t care. Her mind left her, so…no real will to live. It’s just so sad how she gave up. But I don’t blame her. She was in her 70s and very, very tired of it all.

It’s strange how strokes affect everyone differently. While some have more physical problems than mental problems, or vice-versa, there are strong similarities, too. You just never how it will affect you, should it happen to you.

4 Likes

…looking at those pics…
If @pando @DeAnn & @Sass are three people you like does that make @BakersBunny & me polarbears or just unluky?

5 Likes

Great progress @pando

The emerging pain/ weight is a huge enabler to devolping your exercise regime as it’s proportinate feedback. Next is yr proprioception :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, Simon
It’s great to feel your presence here, once more.
This place has come alive, again.

ciao, Roland

5 Likes