Stroke and cancer (ischemic stroke Apr 2023)

Hi

Pleased to meet you. My name’s John, I’m a 54-year old former academic and IT engineer.

I’ve been dealing with some serious health issues over the last 2-3 years. I’ve been diagnosed with multiple myeloma - a form of blood cancer. About 18 months ago I underwent an autologous stem cell transplant, which has been successful, and I’ve been in remission since then. However, possibly (at least, my haematologist suspects so) as a result of the chemo I was on, I suffered an ischemic stroke in late April 2023. It may actually have been two strokes, over the space of about two days.

I really wasn’t “with it” over those two days, and I seemed to be very tired. I’d gone back to work over a period of leave, and my manager had noticed that I wasn’t showing up for a meeting. I tried to send him a text and found that I couldn’t remember how to use the keypad on my phone. My manager phoned me and realised that my speech was garbled, and I couldn’t remember the name of the building I was in. Once he’d found me, he realised what had happened, and phoned an ambulance.

I spent about three weeks in hospital, and had about 6 weeks of home visits from the local NHS Stroke Support Team, who have been very kind and supportive, but I understand their resources are limited.

I don’t have any significant physical deficits, but I find that my cognition is sadly not what it used to be. I have problems with short term memory loss. Things don’t seem to “stick” for more than 5-10 minutes when I try to remember them, though in some cases it seems to be coming back bit by bit. My aphasia is better than it was, as my sister will report. It’s been tough though, feeling for months like my head is filled with broken bits…

At the same time, I’m dealing with frequent, and often severe low mood and anhedonia. I live on my own, and loneliness and isolation are a significant problem. My family are loving and supportive, but they live 2-3 hours away, and have their own children to look after.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice and support. It looks like I’ve found the right website,

3 Likes

Hello @StarsAtNight

Welcome & sorry that you have had cause to join us.
You’ll find there is a knowledgeable and empathetic bunch here who are able to advise on lots stroke related, although we won’t know so much about cancer. What our journeys look like may answer some of your questions.

We have put the commonest stuff into Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start which we often found ourselves repeating - click the blue text to follow the link :slight_smile:

All our stories are unique in total. they share many common features though with many other people here - many of which you’ve touched above and are more covered in the reference post above & the folk who’ll say hi will have lots the have & will contribute

Using search :mag: :mag_right: is a good way to unearth what you might want/need

Enjoy the support :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Hello @StarsAtNight . Simon has already given great advice.
Do not underestimate the effect all the stress that you have been through is further impacting your cognitive processes.
You are clearly bright and you will find ways to compensate for this. My memory has also been quite badly affected but I know that, and I build in strategies to limit the fall out. I am trusted with the till at the charity shop where I volunteer, but I have many layers of making sure I do not make a mistake with the money.
You will find similar strategies and it may still improve for you. Meanwhile use the forum for info, company of like minded souls, whatever you need,
All the best to you, Julia

3 Likes

@StarsAtNight hi & welcome to the forum. As if you don’t have enough to deal with with multiple myeloma you then have to suffer a stroke too. I’m pleasedto hear you’re in remission with the myeloma & long may that continue. I have a condition called MGUS which is a pre multiple myeloma thing & I’m really hoping it doesn’t progress. Whilst you had your stroke because of myeloma I found out about MGUS because of stroke. Weird isn’t it.

It’s great that your manager recognised you needed help & phoned the ambulance.

Cognitive Issues are very common after stroke & often they improve over time. I still have issues but they’re better than when I had my stroke. Practising in the areas you struggle will help…it is usually a case of repetition.

Wishing you all the very best.

Ann x

3 Likes